Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegasSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Tachometer conversion - Clock/Speedo/914 Tach
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Las Vegas Volkswagen Club-1997 (Founding Member) An Officially Licensed VWoA Club
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I went to the VW show in Werston Missouri this morning and found a couple of trim rings for the wheels on my 73 vert. I had 2 so this made a set, a little beat up but driver car so fine.

dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

It's been awhile!

I was doing belated spring maintenance this weekend and decided to check the fuel filter...

I never used sealer on the tank, but it looks pretty goopy in there. I believe the material in the filter is metallic flake from the paint. :-/ Not sure what the black stuff is.

At any rate, I'm going to try and find a replacement tank and take this one to a radiator shop to be hot tanked unless y'all have any bright ideas. :-D

Here is a slightly more cheerful picture to make up for the ones above:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I WOULD NOT HOT TANK IT

DO NOT GET IT COATED

I'd just pull the bottom fitting out and get the pressure washer out, hose all the goo out, set it out in the sun for a hour. THEN immediately get it into the car and get some gas in there -- full tank.

I did all the stuff you're thinking about on my oval tank,,, it was ruined,,, just get the ca-ca out then run it,,, remember to keep an eye on the filter and always keep a spare in the car
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I brought mine home after 3 months at the tuners -- -- it had been gone so long, it had almost lost it place in the garage.

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I found an old wood shift knob that was on a MGTD kit car i owned years ago and replaced the stock shift knob.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
I WOULD NOT HOT TANK IT

DO NOT GET IT COATED

I'd just pull the bottom fitting out and get the pressure washer out, hose all the goo out, set it out in the sun for a hour. THEN immediately get it into the car and get some gas in there -- full tank.

Why the full tank of gas? Just curious.

I did something similar for my Bus - it was kicking out TONS of rust flakes when i bought it. I pulled the tank, shook a chain around inside it, hosed it out, and set it to drain and dry in the sun all day. No problems and no more crap came out, that was in 2007.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

"USUALLY" there is something causing it to rust, which is bare steel and water -- -- and once you've washed the tank with water, I want to get it coated with a petroleum product (gas) and it will seep into all the cracks and crannies displacing any water that may still be there from the washing,,, and with a full tank it allows the gas to get everywhere --

Last edited by Fiatdude on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Cool, that makes perfect sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desmato
Samba Member

Location: Michigan, USA, Earth, Milkyway, Universe,... Bottom of some being's shoe !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Don't forget that gasoline is hygroscopic (attracts moisture ) so a full tank will prevent rust in the future, especially during storage.

Me, I got the '73 1600 donor motor all together and running. Now waiting on kgpr so I can drive it this year.

Todd
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I know some people have problems after "coating" a tank. Maybe its the product used, maybe its the user, maybe bad prep. I have washed tanks with phos acid and chain, rinsed, dryed and poured in Masterseries. Never had any peeling, new rust or gunk afterwards. Back when these cars were daily drivers bare steel was probably ok. Now when they may sit for days, weeks, months between drives I think a little preventative maintenance is good. Perhaps just opinion but i prefer coating to leaving the tank in bare steel.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
desmato
Samba Member

Location: Michigan, USA, Earth, Milkyway, Universe,... Bottom of some being's shoe !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

And the one shall become two again !
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing the ball joints, and while I was at it, I decided to replace the worn out steering box...and finally, got the alignment done. Tracks straight, solid steering and all is well.
desmato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Strip her down !

Where'd it go ??????

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Laughing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

All these people hard at work on their Ghia's...

Finally got around to first wax of season, after multiple weekends of bad weather or schedule conflicts. We were intending to also do oil & check valves. But after finishing polish & wax, she was running really sweetly, and seemed to be begging for a tour instead.

Ice cream in neighboring town (local shop, locally-sourced cream) & scenic tour of back-roads there & back. (Two different single-lane bridges. Amazed they still exist around here.)
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I drove my 68 Ghia on Freeway for about 30 minutes yesterday, oil temp get over 260 degrees.

Anyone else having over heat issues during this heat wave?
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

young55961 wrote:
I drove my 68 Ghia on Freeway for about 30 minutes yesterday, oil temp get over 260 degrees.

Anyone else having over heat issues during this heat wave?

Yikes! With the high hitting 115F here yesterday, mine is sitting in the garage. I did take it out Saturday morning to see how it was running after rebuilding the carb, installing a new distributor, adjusting valves and setting timing, but that was it as even early, it was already getting hot.
Incidentally, the car felt like it was running better than I've ever felt it in the 2+ years I've had it!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

On the advice of Boris Orazem of Vintage Vee-Dub in Sydney, I repaired my German original turn signal switch by glueing a plastic tab under the low beam high beam connectors. The after-market turn signal switch I had lasted exactly 6 months before it malfunctioned, giving me hazard flashers every time I signalled a turn.

Oh, and I assembled and installed the West Coast Metric roofrack I bought from Boris.

In recent weeks:
I have re-upholstered two Porsche 924 seats and installed them;
I installed a woodrim steering wheeel - after staining the wood to match the wooden shift lever knob I had;
I sourced 2 of the 4 missing Hazet tools I needed to complete my Tourist Toolkit from 1955-6;
I replaced the rubbers on the splash guards - with my wife giving a hand. "Be quick, I have to get to work!"

My wife's comment when all was done? "Your car has had more quality time the last two weeks than me."

My car doesn't give me backchat. And when my wife likes something, like the roofrack, it's "our" car.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finally straightened the rear bumper. Pics of the woodrim steering wheel, before and after. I had to stain the wood to match the gear shift knob. I used marine varnish for the final 3 coats.

Only 2 customising jobs left:

Custom console - with matching vinyl and velour + looking for 3 gauges
Installing venetian blinds
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 107 of 166

Jump to: