Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Brassneck wrote:
Finally decided to swap the stock seats for something a bit more supportive. My hesitation has always been losing the stock look. But after a 2 hour ride a few weeks back, my back was killing me, and made me not so excited to keep driving it. Sad

One of the reasons I switched to 911 seats on mine. Can't beat the comfort!

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Can't remember doing anything with the car in terms of work recently, but I did use it for a few days despite the winter. It had warmed up and rained enough to wash the salt down, so there were some dry days I could get back on the road without salt fears. One of the kids now has a job in Ann Arbor Michigan which is a bit of a haul. This particular route had me concerned about power though, as heading back home consists of pulling from a dead stop onto the middle of the steep uphill entrance ramp, and you only have 900 feet to get up to 60 mph while climbing. Fortunately, the Ghia pulled it off and hit 60 mph as we crested the hill, and reached 70 mph as we merged with traffic. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least Cool
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Installed a new battery, dusted off the long winters dust and took it out for a spin. Ran pretty good. Need to figure out how to set the clock on the Pioneer head unit. I may just change it out, theres something wrong with a radio that doesn't have volume knob....
Kerry67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Cracked a rib working on it yesterday.....That was fun. It's killing me.....
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

^^^Dont laugh, cough, sneeze...for a couple weeks.

I had a parasitic battery leak, it killed my Oddessey battery. So everytime i drove the car I had to disconnect the battery and re-connect to leave. That got old fast. I bought a new Oddessey battery and attempted to find the leak. Pulled fuses one at a time ( I have 16, aftermarket fuse panel) ran around the car and then put the meter back on the battery, no change, 16 times. Pulled the wires off the alt, nothing. One of my friends who knows nothing about cars says to me..." its probably a bad gound". I pretty much dismissed his advice. The next day I thought about it again... looked at my fuse box... it took about 6 seconds to notice the disconnected black wire. You know the rest. Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ThePensacolaKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Body work on the passenger door :) Reply with quote

I made some great progress on some body work! I had the front and back deck lids done by a local body shop... Wasn't impressed. Dove in myself and I think I did a better job! haha and saved a bunch of money too. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Boy I'll say! You pounded that decklid into the shape of a door perfectly!

:^)
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
Boy I'll say! You pounded that decklid into the shape of a door perfectly!

:^)

Shoulda' left the license plate light there, would have made a nice courtesy light!
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

As for me, I noticed a loose plug a couple weeks ago, and parked it after the threads pulled. Threads were damaged by PO or shop, but I thought I could delay things by being light on the torque after #4 let go a few months ago. Pulled the engine, installed Save-a-thread inserts in the remaining three, did a valve adjustment check, threw the engine back in, and it started on the first turn. Car is happy again, runs smoother than ever. Cool
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
As for me, I noticed a loose plug a couple weeks ago, and parked it after the threads pulled. Threads were damaged by PO or shop, but I thought I could delay things by being light on the torque after #4 let go a few months ago. Pulled the engine, installed Save-a-thread inserts in the remaining three, did a valve adjustment check, threw the engine back in, and it started on the first turn. Car is happy again, runs smoother than ever. Cool

I purchased a Ghia and after having it shipped to my home I started the car. The spark plug along with the insert still attached landed in the engine bay next to the battery. The motor still continued to run, very rough.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
lasslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Uppdates the face of my tach Smile
Did not work out quite as nice as I had in mind... But it's better than before, more vw Smile

Before & after

Overwiew

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mitten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Installed progressive carb.

Now the rear deck doesn't close.

Also install a new wood steering wheel, missing chrome trim and flipped the side mirror so it's right. PO had the trim ring piece upside down.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Mitten wrote:
Installed progressive carb.

Also install a new wood steering wheel, missing chrome trim and flipped the side mirror so it's right. PO had the trim ring piece upside down.

The same thing happened to me, The 1904 with single HPMX came with the car, but was never installed..That progressive might sit a little lower, you can get shorter air filter elements..They are an 1 1/2" as opposed to the 3" one you have now..
Try to mock it up..I did with mine before I ordered, and deck lid was much closer to closing, but no cigar..

Again, hopefully the Progressive sits a little lower than this one..
I had to take the plunge and buy duals..This would explain why I have never come across a pic of a Ghia with this setup before..You could also try to remove the rain tray,but I'm sure you dont want to hack up your car further than that to make that carb work..
-Good luck
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Mitten wrote:
[/URL]

Well, since yours is a later model with the fiberglass tray, it would not be hard to remove. If it hits the actual decklid, then you'll want to go lower profile air cleaner like Fes mentioned. I replaced my intake due to the original being rusted, and the original carb sits a bit higher. That issue was resolved by making a cutout in the tray that went wound the air pipe from the modified air cleaner. Now I run without the tray at all most of the time, but put it back in when I'm going on a trip and know it's going to rain.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

This week I installed and wired my new 6v North Hollywood Speedometer clock-converted-to-tach, and disassembled, cleaned and replaced the glass of my fuel gauge. A few weeks ago the rebuilt 6v Sapphire I radio was put back in along with a new 8 Ohm, 5.25" 40W pin cushion speaker.

My OCD tendencies are pleased that there's no more broken clock, scratched/discolored fuel gauge glass or a non-working radio staring at me while driving. Very Happy

Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Great weather around these parts, took the ghia out for a full day of country driving...ghia drove great! (The new seats I installed made the trip completely pain free...for my back that is).
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

After a gloomy morning, rain stopped and skies cleared up. Took my '64 Cabrio on its first drive of the year. Ran great as usual (mostly stock 1600 with Weber 40 IDFs). Stopped in the grounds of the mostly abandoned Rockland State Hospital in the county for some shots. The cement-surfaced roads match the age of the car well.

lasslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Mounted my rear seat with new fabric 😊

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Working on side panels for the engine compartment to give it a more finished look.
I'm leaning toward having them hard anodized black for less flash.
Camloc quarter turn fasteners should work to keep them in place...
vegasSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Lots of progress this weekend... Front bumper, head light, turn signal mocked up...

Las Vegas Volkswagen Club-1997 (Founding Member) An Officially Licensed VWoA Club
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 106 of 166

Jump to: