Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got her back on all 4s. New ball joints, and new tie rod ends all around.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Purchased an early EMPI 009 dist. clone from the classifieds last weekend. Picked it out of the mail box yesterday morning and checked it out for serviceability. It looked good to go and I had all of the parts on hand to give it a try. When I installed it on my engine. It would not fire. So I attempted to reinstall the SDVA that has never failed to ignite the excitement. I made a huge mistake and in a moment of stupidity. I connected the petronics wiring backwards. The end result was a fried module. Embarassed Funny thing is. I have cautioned everyone working with one of these units on the fragility of them.
SO! It was back to the 009. After much trial and checking TCD. I found that the dog drive gear was 180* away from the mark on the rim of the dist. Once timing was figured out I started the engine and low and behold it was real close to 7.5* BTDC. Let it warm up and checked the timing with the strobe light. I took it around the block and the engine really responded to the new dist. After a few carb adjustments. I took the 67 for a very spirited 45 minute drive in the wine country. WOW! What a difference in performance. Nice and smooth from closed throttle to full acceleration. Very Happy
Never seen an EMPI dist like this one with the stamped logo on the body. If any of ya know anything about this dist. feel free to give an opinion.

BTW mine is a dual carbed engine.
Anyway have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took apart my EMPI shifter to clean it, replace the 4 rivets with cap screws, oiled and greased it, and installed a replacement spring for the broken lateral spring. Wow - it shifts slick and easy now...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
timmy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today I ordered my Gene Berg shifter.

Now I will be camping by the mailbox
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I fixed an annoying problem today . Occasionally I was getting a stuck pedal ; not stuck on fast but a fast idle .
I had made several attempts with adjustments and replacement springs
In my 63 bug someone had added a newer roller type pedal .

It turned out that the tail of the metal loop on the end of the accelerator cable was catching on the end of the accelerator cable tube .
The fix was bending the end of the tube down 1/4 inch so the cable end would slide in without catching .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I drove it...like every week Cool

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Busy two weeks.

Replaced my wiper motor (thanks to troubleshooting by flyboy161). Now the wipers work as they should.

Before that, gave it a couple coats of wax: Chemical Guys Extreme Top Coat Wax and Sealant and then Colinite Insulator Wax.

Installed my Retrosound Radio and their dual-coil speaker.

Replaced the stock steering wheel with a 15" Nardi, and installed a glovebox lock.

Tried my best to reinstall the passenger window crank handle and buffer, but can't get it. The driver's side went pretty easily, but I can't seem to push the panel in far enough. I had the panels down to put in double check-rod bumpers so the doors won't open too far and hit the mirrors. Jim Middleton suggested this when I rented his hinge pin tool which worked very well. Only a couple small nicks in the paint on the hinge, easily touched up.

I also replaced the gas cap gasket with a new one from Wolfsburg West; seems to have cleared up the odor of gas in the trunk.

Finally, I installed a 3 3/4" round convex mirror on the passender side (I swapped the pear-shaped for rounds on both sides for the larger area.). The convex mirror (glass w/ metal surround) really makes a big difference.

1967 VW Beetle - Savannah Beige Very Happy
2002 VW GTi - Reflex Silver (Sold) Sad
1966 VW Beetle - Bahama Blue (Sold) Sad
1961 Porsche 356B Roadster - Signal Red (Sold) Brick wall
1966 VW Beetle - Sea Sand (Sold) Sad
South Jersey Volkswagen Club
Central Jersey Volkswagen Society
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DannyT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New gear coupler bushing and mounted sway bar up front. Much more precise steering and improved cornering tremendious Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed a lighter

Replaced both windshield wiper shafts and arms

and installed a
new heater knob to replace the broken one

Cleaned the radio, floor mats, knobs, dash and steering wheel

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: 3,000 mile maintenance Reply with quote

Fun morning in the garage.
Changed the oil, lubed the front suspension, and adjusted the brakes.
Ready for the next 3,000 miles of fun behind the wheel. Very Happy
noahtibbetts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Started the mini-restore on my '64. I was gonna do the full with media blasting and complete body repair but that's a lot out of the price range. So I bought some replacement sheet metal parts to fix the bad areas, i.e. door pillars. Can anyone help me find some sheet metal for front quarter panel area. it's just in front of the door pillars as seen in the picture. Thanks in advance!
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Watto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I went to grab a pair of low back seats off craigslist and scored me a '66 Shell. Well... I say scored, my wife says, "oh great, more junk".
Anyway, pretty straight. The front and rear aprons have a little bondo. And the only cancer I found was in the rear of the passenger heat channel on the top side, the bottom is solid. Over all it's a good shell for $100 and it even came with an assortment of deep well & regular metric sockets hidden in the dirt and trash.

SDBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drums, shoes, wheel bearings, and a new battery.

JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Very Happy TRIED to post pic's of my 67 several Times Got A call for Pete trying to help me out Turns out I'm Unable .....beside cleaning the windows ( real German ) I'm Waiting for Grandpa Pete to Show up at my Place tomorrow to "school Me " on some paint and body work I'll Tackle Now that I've finished rebuilding my lowered single port 1500 which rolls around fine with a highway speed just over 70....IF I wanted A muscle car I'd have bought one Cool
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

SWEET PIC'S You Humble ME Embarassed
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I drove it everyday.
A little incentive pic for JimSP16. I went for a long drive this morning /afternoon. I was looking for a place called Fishhawke Lake.
The 67 preformed flawlessly the entire drive. Outside temps were in the 60's and I didn't use the tennis ball to assist with cooling. Oil temps never topped 210* and for the most part remained below 190*.
Four hour drive and the car was just a joy to drive. Damn these little cars are fun to drive when everything is (mechanically) correct.

Get that thing on the road JimSP16. And you'll enjoy drives like this in no time. Well maybe not like this as you are in FLA. But you get the idea.
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

WHAT I did was remove both front and rear cheap aftermarket bumpers from my 67...MORE INPORTANTLY I meet with Grandpa PETE. man now I'm really learning That I don't know what I don't know...Thanks SAMBA and THANK YOU PETE!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Laughing 20 minutes after leaving JimSP15 I was passed on I-75 by a NICE bay window bus on a car trailer ; 10 minutes later I pulled into a Pilot for fuel and there was the bus !
I went over to the guy standing next to it and asked " How long have you owned it "
He said " TWO HOURS ".....This guy knew NOTHING about the bus or VW's ....
He bought it to use as a promotional piece for a small newspaper in the Ft. Meyers area ... Shocked Shocked
I told him about Samba and gave him my phone number in case he needed help .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
trcjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This weekend I replaced a broken shift rod hanger and bushing in my '64 bug. All in all it took 14 hours. Installing the new bushing was much more difficult than I thought it was going to be.

The good news is the car is driving again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Body back on pan today with much help from my friend Matt. Separated in 1986 this slow, frequently interrupted process, is finally coming to a close.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 261 of 316

Jump to: