Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats the stupidest trade you ever made?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

I was thinking back to the last 15 years I have been into VW's and thinking, Gosh I should have never traded this for that or, Why did I trade that car for this one. I traded a 23 window for a vert once back in 1994. I said, I'll get another one (23 window) because they are all over the place! In 2002 I dont think so. I still have the vert so I guess its not so bad. Just wondering what were some stupid trades you've done in retrospect?
vw62rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

back when i was 15(25 now)i had a 64 squareback
(orignal to the bone) no rust at all, i bought from a old man the orignal owner,i drove
it for like a month,it broke down and it sat for
like a year in my grandmas drive way.and i didnt know squat
on how to fix it.so someone came along with a
rusty ol 73 super beetle autostick,so what did my dum ass
do?yep i traded him.the autostick was a horrible nightmare.
im still upset about that deal.but the bug ran for like 6 months
,broke down and then i gave it away. =(
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

OUCH!!!that hurt...
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

It wasn't so much a trade as a mistake. I sold my '50 Split (VW Trends Oct '00) to Jason Reich for only $10k so I could support my motorcycle racing career. Wish I still had the car.
But now I've been motorcycle racing with Ducati in the AMA series. So it's been paying the bills and I'm able to start my own VW business as well as buy any car I want at anytime. But I've never seen a better car than the Split I let go a few years ago.
apexxn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

No VW content.

rareairresto:

Whats your name bud I'm a motorcycle roadracer myself(club level) and didn't think any vw guys were into that. I also run a Ducati Club on the side as well. Good luck next season it's gonna be a tough one.

Michael
So.Ca.
23window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

When I was first into VW's in high school, a friend of mine found an original Empi race jacket in a thift store and gave it to me. I carefully removed all the patches and had them sewed onto a blue mechanics shirt that I could fit into (the Empi jacket was too small). I later sold the jacket and work shirt for $50. ouch. I have only seen two like it, one in VW Trends and one someplace on the net in someones Empi collection.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

bad sales

1) selling an orig paint 73orig mile 72 squareback for 1600 to a friend only to have him sell it for 5000 a few months later!!

2) dumping over 3k+ into an 87 vanagon for a rebuilt engine and then having it die after 10k. the problem was then misdiagnosed and i sold it for 1000 only to be told later it was just the ECU!!!

damage done-i will keep my 21 window til i croak!!!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

Again, I cannot remmy the bad trade but did a good trade, at least in my opinion...I think.

I did the interior of a friends squareback, the carpeting anyways.

Hey gave me a complete...less distributor... turn key T3 engine with all the tin.

Just waiting on the tin to get back from powdercoating and then put it up on a dyno and run it up (I tore it apart and rebuilt it) then I just have to find someone who wants to buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SonicVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

In 1985 I traded a very nice condition 8 63,000 original mile Empi GTV for a Apple Computer. That was the only one I regret to this day. Burns in my stomach. All the others were sold to upgrade or move on to something new.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

Didn't trade but, sold a "55" bug for $1500.00 w..a..y back in the early 80s when I was transferred and couldn't take it with me Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

Not even a trade, just giving my wife's '74 Sunbug away after an engine fire. Back then I didn't know shit about VW's.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

Back in 1979 I traded my '54 Porsche convertible for 9 badly needed hundred dollar bills.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Back in 1979 I traded my '54 Porsche convertible for 9 badly needed hundred dollar bills.

Geez and I thought that I lost my shirt on a 67 deal many years ago.
9 Bills for a 57 Porsche. Damn. But then again back in the day. You could get a Dino Ferrari for cheap $$$$$. Now? Good luck finding one for under 100K.
I have seen burned out 356 shells on the back of car haulers that I bet the new owner paid highly for. Sorry to hear that you had to sell your Porsche. Damn that had to hurt knowing today's market.
Hopefully the future has been kinder to you.
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

obus wrote:
bad sales

1) selling an orig paint 73orig mile 72 squareback for 1600 to a friend only to have him sell it for 5000 a few months later!!

2) dumping over 3k+ into an 87 vanagon for a rebuilt engine and then having it die after 10k. the problem was then misdiagnosed and i sold it for 1000 only to be told later it was just the ECU!!!

damage done-i will keep my 21 window til i croak!!!

You SURE about that, Paul ?? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wow this a Old thread !
The one deal I regret is the one I didn't make, in 1981-82 time frame, a car dealer in Denver had a Sweet 1965-ish White Doublecab, really nice, one softball size hole in the rear floor, needed a starter, they wanted like $2000 for it, they would not trade even for my '73 Opel GT, which I had paid $2500 for, so me being a TOTAL IDIOT, I said screw you car dealer, a month later the Opel wiring melted down, cost about $600 to fix it.... Crying or Very sad Embarassed Evil or Very Mad

A few months later I bought my 1st Doublecab, waaaaaay worse condition for $900. Confused

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

my car for cash, wish i still had that car.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

Wasn't a VW but, was the s..t..u..p..i..d..e..s..t trade ever made, by any one.

In the early 80s I traded my "1968 Plymouth GTX" with the 440 engine for a Honda Gold Wing. "Ugh" to this day when I think about it still makes me sick Embarassed especially after seeing what they are going for.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

sold an original no-rust numbers matching 65 bug for 1200 way back when.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
Wasn't a VW but, was the s..t..u..p..i..d..e..s..t trade ever made, by any one.

In the early 80s I traded my "1968 Plymouth GTX" with the 440 engine for a Honda Gold Wing. "Ugh" to this day when I think about it still makes me sick Embarassed especially after seeing what they are going for.

Shocked

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

My freedom for a wife.

FU#3
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the stupidest trade you ever made? Reply with quote

This is me as the guy who got the good side of the Trade but a guy traded me a 1-owner '56 ragtop that was mostly OG for my '67 Squareback that was sort of a shitty 80s custom car...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: