Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Definitely will when I'm back in the area.

As a little teaser, here's pictures of my motor Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Single port?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

The theme of my build is "super stock" Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian, I actually think your picture was taken over in the background near where the Winnebago is in my picture.

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Link

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So, I made the decision to switch back over to stock rims on the bug to really keep the sleeper look. Thought it was gonna be nice and easy and all good, but now I see why the other rims were on there...

Looks great, nice and stock Cool

I went to Discount Tires of 'Murica, they denied me right away when I said I wanted 215/75-15s on stock wheels. They said it's only safe to use 6"+ wheels, so I said "k" and left. Went down the street to a tire shop where they take money, ask no questions and only call me guero.

So didn't take too long for the rubbing to come back.

I tried getting some wheels spacers for a temp fix, but apparently stock lugs aren't really long enough. Eventually I went to swapping the bushings on the shock mount to get rid of the rear seat belts and move the shocks in as apposed to moving the tires out. Still rubs sometimes, but not as much.

Also, I had some thing engine guards sitting around, decided to get them powder coated.

(look at them shiny hubcaps)

Long term solution is T3 drums

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

We should trim a cm or so off the outside of the grey metal shock stud tube; that will buy you a few more degrees of clearance.

What do the low mounts look like, and could you add a washer or two there to bump the shock inwards?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I was thinking about doing that on top, it will help a little. I can't really do it on the bottoms mount as the eyelet from the shock is already hitting the tubes reinforcing the arms. I'll get a picture of that soon.

From page 1

Side note, my engine tin is getting sand blasted and powder coated soon Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

rear lower shock mounts on my 11 Car....

rear shock attached.......

upper shock mount to cage......

my 11 car......

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I was thinking about doing that on top, it will help a little. I can't really do it on the bottoms mount as the eyelet from the shock is already hitting the tubes reinforcing the arms. I'll get a picture of that soon.

Side note, my engine tin is getting sand blasted and powder coated soon Very Happy

Ah, looks like a cut and re-weld is in your future. I'll bring the beer.

And I hope Awesome Powdercoat remembers to awesome sandblast your tins....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I was thinking about redoing the arms like Bill's. but at the same time, that looks like it will take a lot of effort. The tubes on these arms make it a little rough to get to the brake bleeders. They're done well, just in the way.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So me and Robbie went up to the hills of some place north and did things.

A word of the wise, do not operate your type 1 at this angle. If you don't have a main seal leak, you will eventually.

Also I highly recommend that you keep your tires at a constant state of brown.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Ay.

enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Those slippers tho.....
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I call those my safety shoes Very Happy

So, it finally happened...

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Your safety shoes are nicer than my safety flops...
Let me guess oil pressure?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

No idear. My best guess is a bearing failure, but not sure yet. Was driving down the road and heard a loud whhhring noise and a loss of power. I just shut it down. Tried to turn it bup hand, no go. Tried the key, no go. Just a clunk and no turn, so who knows.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
No idear. My best guess is a bearing failure, but not sure yet. Was driving down the road and heard a loud whhhring noise and a loss of power. I just shut it down. Tried to turn it bup hand, no go. Tried the key, no go. Just a clunk and no turn, so who knows.

Ouch. Hopefully not too catastrophic. My guess was such cause you don't seem like the kinda slipper wearin guy that calls the flatbed for small problems.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

The good news is that it happened where it did & not on the trip from where you bought it or one of those scenic off-road adventures that would have cost twice the value of the car to extract it. Still sucks though.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Calling AAA is always my last resort. I agree it couldn't have happened at a better time. I have my new motor which is 90% complete and another long block I can use in the mean time. Just sucks because I'm supposed to go on a 9 day road trip next week. Should be an interesting trip.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So, got back on the road. Only took two days to slap together my spare motor. Still haven't taken apart the motor to see what happened. Luckily I just happen to have a spare 1641 in my garage, so I decided that would be a good hold over until I can finish my new motor. Just took the top end off and put it on the spare motor, runs like a dog but it gets me to work.

Also decided to get some sweet HP gains on the 1/2 cylinders by routing the charcoal canister line to the air cleaner. Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: