Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubdealer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it better to have a j or jk? is it a difference height on the bead or just shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
krisbeetle wrote:
NAES wrote:
Lemmerz aka Crowsfoot wheels are backspaced 1/4" more than KPZ and the slot appears larger. Good wheels for those running a 2" narrowed front beam. Clears the step in the inner dogleg better.

I have 3 crowsfoot and one none crowsfoot 15" rims that I am going to have to run, will this create any tracking or handling problems considering the 1/4 more offset on the one side?

The statement of the extra offset on crow's foot wheels is a myth. Measure yours for yourself and you will see that there is no more than 1/16" difference in offset between the wheel types.

Id like to know if this is verified correct. i would love a extra 1/2" wheel tuck up front just by bolting some crows on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As seen below, this was confirmed as not being true (the offset is not 1/4"):

cdennisg wrote:
NAES wrote:
Lemmerz aka Crowsfoot wheels are backspaced 1/4" more than KPZ and the slot appears larger. Good wheels for those running a 2" narrowed front beam. Clears the step in the inner dogleg better.

I recently measured one of each and found a difference of only 1/16". I don't recall what the date stamps were, maybe there was an early/late production difference. I will check tomorrow.

OK, I did some measuring. A 5/59 crowsfoot I have measures 4 1/2" plus from the surface where it mounts against the drum to the very outer edge of the wheel lip. A 4/60 non-crowsfoot measures 4 11/16". So the difference is barely over 1/8". I also measured a 5/63 non-crowsfoot and it was the same as the 4/60. I did not have easy access to another crowsfoot with a different date.

mrjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

cdennisg wrote:
NAES wrote:

I recently measured one of each and found a difference of only 1/16". I don't recall what the date stamps were, maybe there was an early/late production difference. I will check tomorrow.

OK, I did some measuring. A 5/59 crowsfoot I have measures 4 1/2" plus from the surface where it mounts against the drum to the very outer edge of the wheel lip. A 4/60 non-crowsfoot measures 4 11/16". So the difference is barely over 1/8". I also measured a 5/63 non-crowsfoot and it was the same as the 4/60. I did not have easy access to another crowsfoot with a different date.

from my understanding only 5/59 and 5/63 were compared?

Im not defending the 1/4" statment, im just not sure that comparing just two wheels rules out the offset as a myth.

where does the 1/4" claim come from in the first place?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the purpose of the crows feet rims, are they stronger and able to support more weight?
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
mrjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
What is the purpose of the crows feet rims, are they stronger and able to support more weight?

cause they have cool looking stamps that are never exposed unless you are changing a flat. Cool
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjobe wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

cdennisg wrote:
NAES wrote:

Im not defending the 1/4" statment, im just not sure that comparing just two wheels rules out the offset as a myth.

I have since checked several others and never had more than a fat 1/16" deviation.

Not sure where the myth started.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjobe wrote:
61TXghia wrote:

cause they have cool looking stamps that are never exposed unless you are changing a flat. Cool

They do look better when running without hubcaps, though. Very Happy
mrjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mrjobe wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

cdennisg wrote:
NAES wrote:

I have since checked several others and never had more than a fat 1/16" deviation.

Not sure where the myth started.

ah, Thats cool that you took the time to check others. does the 1/16" seem pretty consistant? or is that just the most offset you have noted?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has varied from zero to a little over 1/16".

I just got a few more recently. I'll check them and post back here with dates and figures.
vwmike333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I'm not familiar with the T but J and JK are types of tire beads.

The T stamp indicates tubeless tires. You can also tell this style rim by the flat area stamping around the valve stem area (at least on Beetle rims).

Mike B.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panelant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching around trying to find differences in wheel hubs. Any pics around that show differences by years on the shapes of the cones or spirals impressed into them?
I have a '60 panel and my 5-spoke empis won't sit fully on the front hubs due to the large flaring cone. (Think the po had some bug wheels from a baja on there?).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference in the Bus 16 inch wheels and the Beetle ones? I have some extras that I was going to sell and someone told me to make sure they were bus and not beetle. Not sure on that one. Two have dimples at the valve stem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panelant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimples were talked about earlier in this post but not as a diff between bug and bus. I've heard about valve stem placement making a diff though. Something like stem between lug nut holes = bus. Stems lined up with a lug nut hole = bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:
Is there a difference in the Bus 16 inch wheels and the Beetle ones? I have some extras that I was going to sell and someone told me to make sure they were bus and not beetle. Not sure on that one. Two have dimples at the valve stem.

put a straight edge across the rim. if it touches only the center part of the rim, it is bus. if it touches only the outer rim, then it is beetle.

beetle rims are 3" wide, bus rims are 3.5" wide.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind, any truth to the lug hole/air valve location theory?
RustyPan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling these might be bug but aside from measuring the wheel, is there a way of telling what these might be to??

thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ those are both bus 15's.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Bus because of the 4 slots and the fact that they have hubcap clips.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lind!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: