Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 396, 397, 398 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardandtory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

wet_bread wrote:
richardandtory, your photos look like modern version of the '70s advertising. "Home is where you park it." Thanks for sharing! And keep up the good work. - Walter

Thanks Walter!
sean14538
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
sean14538 wrote:
I was refering more to the vinyl refresh and crack repairs, but you right that I painted the metal too...will have to see

That looks fantastic. Did you re-vinyl the dash, or are you just really good at crack repairs?

Thank you! I sprayed it with adhesive promoter and black vinyl paint. The cracks that were there, one pretty good one and a few minors I fixed with
epoxy putty.

Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=631317

How to post photos:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sean14538
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I got the dash re-installed and got the speedometer cluster re-wired, just need to get get the knobs back on. I think it looks great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Build Thread:

How to post photos:
pitbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

So over the winter/spring I've have my tranny replaced with Rancho FF, and a makeover with fresh paint, fresh yellow tint and airbrush art work, I wanted to go old skol), I like the way it turned out, the front is for fun, the rear is for relaxing. Cool

not easy to see the yellow tint.

Driver side door

Passenger side

Rear relaxing hatch

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Wired up a stereo. Works perfect, looks great.

hiraxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

just sharing.

3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Front end complete renew end to end, every bolt, seal bearing, snubbers, steering assembly, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, brakes blah blah..

onurenka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Brought it out to see the sun.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I found a $2.00 high/low headlamp relay at the MOKAN car show/swap and now I have new headlights shining brightly. I work on cars for a living and fix headlights regularly but when they have not been on in 25 years it is kinda special. For me anyhow.

Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Sweet work, pitbug. Love this thread, so many random bits of inspiration - even if they wouldn't fit my bus.

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I rekeyed all the locks on my bus to use the same key. Got a key that matched the code on all the locks but the PO had messed with the tumblers so I had to change all of that up.
Also, I started scraping off all rattle can primer overspray that the PO got on all the windows. Next is to take some oven cleaner to the primer on the body to take it down to the OG neptune blue.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I started cleaning the inside of my bus today for the first time ever. All I did here in the picture was sweep the floor. You probably cant tell hahaha. It still needs a good scrub down.

christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Have been having a slowly escalating slow start issue.
Found that the ground strap from the transmission had loosened; tightened her down and now she turns over immediately.

Also after having locked my keys in the bus many times! I've hooked up the driver door Buzzer/Dome switch.

Something is loose in the ignition switch because the buzz is intermittent and cuts out, so that's on the agenda today. There is also a little bit of play in the ignition switch.

So off I go to tackle that.

Past VWs
1967 Fastback (my first car); 1971 Square back; Several Jettas '88 -'97

The one I regret not buying:
72 Karmann Ghia, with autostick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Painting

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EricKM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Maaco Paint job - not too bad. Re-assembled the doors, windows, trim and slider. I need a beer.

08 Golf R32
15 Golf TDI - cleaner than your diesel truck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

maaco aint bad if you prep it well.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

EricKM wrote:
Maaco Paint job - not too bad. Re-assembled the doors, windows, trim and slider. I need a beer.

That's a great looking bus!

Give us some details. You said Maaco painted it? Did they do the bodywork as well? What's the going rate for a Maaco paint job these days?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
sean14538
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

That looks great! What color red is that? How much did they charge?

EricKM wrote:

Build Thread:

How to post photos:
EricKM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Thanks! For primer, base coat, clear coat, both colors including the wheels and inside the doors, color sand and polish for $2300. They did some extra stuff including painting POR-15 in the wheel wells. I painted the damn thing 8 years ago and I swear it cost me more to do it (without the countless hours of block sanding). I did remove all the windows, trim (inside and out) and bumpers. The only caution is Maaco taping skills. Not so good. The line between colors is pretty crappy. I left the new windshield and rubber in place and the overspray has taken several hours of work. What do they say? "Roll down the windows and we'll do the interior for free", definitely applies here. Overall I'm very happy for the price though. No garage so I have a cover. See how long the "rust repair" lasts...[/img]
08 Golf R32
15 Golf TDI - cleaner than your diesel truck
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

EricKM wrote:
Thanks! For primer, base coat, clear coat, both colors including the wheels and inside the doors, color sand and polish for $2300. They did some extra stuff including painting POR-15 in the wheel wells. I painted the damn thing 8 years ago and I swear it cost me more to do it (without the countless hours of block sanding). I did remove all the windows, trim (inside and out) and bumpers. The only caution is Maaco taping skills. Not so good. The line between colors is pretty crappy. I left the new windshield and rubber in place and the overspray has taken several hours of work. What do they say? "Roll down the windows and we'll do the interior for free", definitely applies here. Overall I'm very happy for the price though. No garage so I have a cover. See how long the "rust repair" lasts...[/img]

It's not cheap to paint a VW, even when our labor is free. I spent over $1300 dollars in materials when I painted my 67 bug. I did use the best PPG paint and supplies though. The sand paper, primer, reducer, hardener, masking tape, paint, thinner, etc.. adds up quickly.

Your bus looks great for a $2300 dollar paint job. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 396, 397, 398 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 397 of 463

Jump to: