Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Couldn't pass up on the beautiful weather this weekend, so I installed a new window channel after removing the old one that had rusted and managed to seal itself to the window. I did salvage the old rubber and now the window goes up and down without getting stuck.

I also replaced the original bowden tube, which proved to be a bit of a bitch. The old one was so rusted and falling apart the clutch cable wouldn't even slide out.

Nothing too flashy, but it's the small stuff!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

MonkeySee wrote:
I want to do that dash light LED conversion but don't remember where I saw that. Anyone have that info?

Just get yourself some of these
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/instrument-cluster-gauge/filter/Base_Type,24,1,4336:
and replace the old filament bulbs.

Important note: This works only for the dash illumination, NOT for the idiot lights, which are part of important circuits.

Another important note: Since LEDs are actually diodes, it matter which way they go in, since current flows only one way. It's a 50-50 chance, so if it doesn't work the first time, flip the LED 180 degrees.

Tip: If you get them in red, then the light is easier on the eyes at night. That'w what they use in ships' wheelhouses, and I did it, too, to good effect. They are so cheap, buy a few white and a few red and see for yourself.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed a new passenger and driver side mirror, two new window cranks and just finished regreasing my cv joints and installing new cv boots and bolts. First car show ever will be this weekend!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

started back on my poor man's CHT special.. i think i'm getting somewhere with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BerryBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

This spring had rubbing/grinding noise in right front wheel. No real play. Pulled drum and Chinese outer bearing race had rough spot and the grease was black. So installed new Timkin outer wheel bearings in the front, Inner bearing seal, repack all and grease the front axle. Inner wheel bearings were Timken, were in excellent shape. Found a zerk missing on left hand side of axle.

Another might as well, pulled the rear heat vent hose and cleaned out; a spring, pennies, bolt, leaves and a piece of flooring. Adjusted cable under seat a little. Now have a little air moving to the back! First time since I had him.

Next, rear brakes, inspect and repack bearings and new master cylinder. The master cylinder is leaking.
2005 New Beetle Convertible - Wife
2012 Touareg TDI
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one having fun with brakes. Weird tinkling noise under braking, so pulled both drums and painted them while I was there. Culprit was the parking brake lever, too much play in it, letting it ride out against the hub. Shimmed it in tight with a c-clip. Put it all back together and taught my son some new swear words wrestling with the star adjusters. Arms feel like I've wrestled a hippo, but on the upside the parking brake is back to being super.

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
EricKM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Rebuilt the wing windows. Thank you R Atwell for the excellent tutorial! Been meaning to do this for years, just been putting up with the whistling. My new favorite tool is the pop riveter, by the way. The window post had completely separated from the window but now is tightly attached with three new rivets. This was not a difficult job, just time consuming. Pulled all the rear windows out this past week and did some grinding of rust and minor body work in anticipation of new paint.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=11

Last edited by EricKM on Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Tackled the mildew that covered the top of the pop-up.
Have found that scrubbing it off the sides just brought it back within a few days. Magic Eraser got it off and kept it at bay for months. So, on to the top the of the top:

Before:
Top of image shows progress with hosing it off - not much affect there.
Grey area on the far right shows after scrubbed vigorously with a brush and cleaner. Still not so good.
On the left the white area is where I wiped with a Magic Eraser. No elbow grease required. Remarkable. And keeps the mildew off for months (here in the PacNW)

After
Beautiful. Those black spots in the before pic are tufts of moss. Had to scrape them off for the Magic Eraser to remove those marks too.

Past VWs
1967 Fastback (my first car); 1971 Square back; Several Jettas '88 -'97

The one I regret not buying:
72 Karmann Ghia, with autostick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I changed out the T-1 oil pump for the correct T-4 and parked in front of neighbors house for a pending roof/gutter replacement. next will be to put the Riveria camper kit back in and fire up the coleman heater.

edit- and -- it hasn't rained here in 2 months so just as the transplant is in progress- guess what.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Fri May 06, 2016 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stonecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

jtauxe, how many LEDs does it take to replace all of the dash lights? I think I'm going to try these on my '78 bus.

jtauxe wrote:
MonkeySee wrote:
I want to do that dash light LED conversion but don't remember where I saw that. Anyone have that info?

Just get yourself some of these
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/instrument-cluster-gauge/filter/Base_Type,24,1,4336:
and replace the old filament bulbs.

Important note: This works only for the dash illumination, NOT for the idiot lights, which are part of important circuits.

Another important note: Since LEDs are actually diodes, it matter which way they go in, since current flows only one way. It's a 50-50 chance, so if it doesn't work the first time, flip the LED 180 degrees.

Tip: If you get them in red, then the light is easier on the eyes at night. That'w what they use in ships' wheelhouses, and I did it, too, to good effect. They are so cheap, buy a few white and a few red and see for yourself.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I did it on our 1971 Bay Window Bus, Much improved. I left the old incandescent in the Alternator light position as it's part of the alternator charging circuit and part of the fuel pump control circuit but the others are LED's now. Much Brighter too. I can't Remember how many white led's are needed for the back lighting may be 3? But the LED's won't Dim down right when you twist your dimmer knob? But the Two Turn Signal bulbs are nice you don't want supper bright for them or the others but Super brite leds are good for the back ground dash lighting.

skull stitches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: got my 74 running Reply with quote

removed all the AC weight from my 74 after getting her running after a year of sitting. my son, Link, helped me out polishing up the hubs.

christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

A few things while camping in Walla Walla this weekend.

1. Drain Valve and hose for the reservoir fell off in my hand. It was gooped on by PO with some kind of clay. So took out the box seat housing the reservoir and got a hose properly clamped on. Took apart and re-conditioned the valve. All good and in working order now!!

2. Installed a replacement for the flip-up table that opens out at the sliding door (for a stove).

3. Accelerator assembly bracket came off one of the carbs while driving down the highway 2 hours from home. While waiting for AAA tow (an hour) that would get me as far as 30 miles from home - found the bolts deep in the engine compartment and got it all re-assembled. Made it the rest of the way home without incident.

An awesome Mothers Day - really. Feeling quite empowered!

Past VWs
1967 Fastback (my first car); 1971 Square back; Several Jettas '88 -'97

The one I regret not buying:
72 Karmann Ghia, with autostick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: got my 74 running Reply with quote

skull stitches wrote:
removed all the AC weight from my 74 after getting her running after a year of sitting. my son, Link, helped me out polishing up the hubs.

Awesome! You're getting him started right. Train that next generation of VW lovers.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Self-adhesive-Automoti...adening+50
this area is exactly 50 square feet if yo fit it right you will cover the whole cargo floor, rear part and wheel wells.
sean14538
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

nice

Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=631317

How to post photos:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Self-adhesive-Automoti...adening+50
this area is exactly 50 square feet if yo fit it right you will cover the whole cargo floor, rear part and wheel wells.

Nice! please ad your experience to this thread if you would like..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607896&highlight=
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Front beam end to end rebuild and renew. Every piece removed, inspected, renewed and re painted and reinstalled. $$ costly but tight as new. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings brakes.etc the whole thing. Topped with an empi sway bar. Heading to the rear next week.
busboytom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I had nothing to do with this except pay the bill....old vanagon seats now with appropriate plaid to go into the 77 Westy. A wise old man once said "son, you better have a comfortable bed, shoes and a place to sit, cause you're gonna be in one of em all the time". Now extended Roadtrip ready! Just had new front whell arches welded in too. Parts were more than an inch different from right to left. Mad

snallygaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California Westy wrote:
I threw a rock at it!!!

Was it an OG rock or Chinese aftermarket?
('cept for the Mexican hubcaps and 80s radio).
White on Ceylon Beige
Western Connecticut
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 395 of 464

Jump to: