Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Once again, while GL-4 is more than adequate for stock applications, I'd recommend a high quality GL-5 for any Vanagon with significantly upgraded horsepower, or any Bug transaxle pushed to its limits (road-racing or off-road).

Personally I think this is the best summary of this 50 pages. I would personally add that why not use 75-90 or 80-90 GL5 for stock applications (better protection) and a 75-140 or 80-140 for those that really should have a bigger transaxle or push theirs to the limit.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

So... my tranny occasionally gently grinds into first gear when i've been on the road for a good hour or so, but if on a slight roll or when the engine is cold it does not. yes my clutch is adjusted properly.

previous owner was a dumbass, and the car is 40 years old, so i want to change the gear oil to be safe. from stuff i can get at napa, autozone, oreillys, what should i put in? 80w/90 right? GL5 should be fine? GL4? im scared now with all the peter measurement going on, but i'm inclined to think i'll be safe with GL5...

73 super beetle, stock 4spd. no leaks, nice and quiet tranny.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Kill 2 chickens, paint a blood pentagram below your trans then pour in oil selected at random from the shelf at FLAPS. That's about as much sense as this thread has ever made. Rolling Eyes

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
So... my tranny occasionally gently grinds into first gear when i've been on the road for a good hour or so, but if on a slight roll or when the engine is cold it does not. yes my clutch is adjusted properly.
[snip]
73 super beetle, stock 4spd. no leaks, nice and quiet tranny.

Provided your engine is stock, or close to it, I would look for oil marked GL-4. It may carry other approvals too. The Beetle does not have a hypoid final drive so there is little need for the extra protection, but you are trying to get a little better shifting from what you typed.

That said, a little grinding when downshifting into 1st at more than a few mph is not unusual. That seems to be a weekness with these boxes.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

It only has a little "skwhhh" into first when coming from neutral, usually when sitting at a light or something, like when you first get off the freeway and start going through town.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

If your light grind into 1st is while stopped, and worse warm than when cold, it is quite possible you have a separating clutch disc. The friction surface can "bubble up" off of the steel disc if the rivets are starting to fail in some area. It can create a little drag against the flywheel and spin the input shaft with a little force even though you have pushed the clutch pedal down.

If the noise happens when you are stopped I would not suspect the gear oil. Stopped with the clutch released means nothing in the gearbox should be spinning.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
If your light grind into 1st is while stopped, and worse warm than when cold, it is quite possible you have a separating clutch disc. The friction surface can "bubble up" off of the steel disc if the rivets are starting to fail in some area. It can create a little drag against the flywheel and spin the input shaft with a little force even though you have pushed the clutch pedal down.

If the noise happens when you are stopped I would not suspect the gear oil. Stopped with the clutch released means nothing in the gearbox should be spinning.

my 73 has the "long" release arm on the tranny, so I'll try adjusting it a tad bit tighter and see if that helps. I'm running a 1700# Kennedy with a Daikin disc, and when i pulled the engine recently to do rear tranny mounts i pulled the clutch and it looks brand new, dry, tight, etc.

jovanybg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I will be changing the tranny oil on my 1971 Autostick Ghia with Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 and will update on the behavior after the change. The description of the oil states is safe for yellow metals and it is GL-4 and GL-5 compatible.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Kill 2 chickens, paint a blood pentagram below your trans then pour in oil selected at random from the shelf at FLAPS. That's about as much sense as this thread has ever made. Rolling Eyes

Lol, I love this! Laughing

That said, for my own peace of mind, this is what I run in my VW, and it's been running and shifting about as well and flawlessly as a 57 year old, un-restored transmission could. I'm sure GL-5 would work in it just fine, but why take the chance when I don't have to? There. End of discussion and worry on my part.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(As an aside, my AH Sprite uses straight 30 weight, non detergent motor oil in its transmission. Shocking huh? Shocked )

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
my Sprite uses straight 30 weight, non detergent motor oil in its transmission. Shocking huh?

Not really, I had a Ranger that called for ATF in the Mitsu built 5-speed.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:

(As an aside, my AH Sprite uses straight 30 weight, non detergent motor oil in its transmission. Shocking huh? Shocked )

There are automatic tranny fluids which carry GL-4 ratings for transaxle use. As for 30wt, most any 30wt would have met the GL-3 rating and most any 40 wt will meet the GL-4 rating. I have 5w30 oils in the manual tranny in my ancient Toyota Land Cruiser and used the same in the tranny in my ancient Dodge 4x4 truck.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I had a Honda that used ATF in a manual gearbox.

So what's your point? This is a VW forum.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Just making some small talk along with my poor attempt at some humor. That was all.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

After skimming thru 50+ pages.
For higher hp we should use GL-5 and just accept the harder shifts.
Or use GL-4 and get good drivability with a higher ware.

I'm running a ecotec now with a t1 trans now.
I have a rebuilt 5 rib with a 091 4 spider diff ready to install.
I'm thinking about a turbo with the trans/suspension swap.
Best gear lube to use?
I want smooth shifts so GL-4.
Correct Question
Norm
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Sandbar Norm wrote:

I switched to GL5 several years ago and the shifting became noticeably smoother thereafter. Plus you get the added protection for the OEM German parts that are NLA.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Sandbar Norm wrote:

I switched to GL5 several years ago and the shifting became noticeably smoother thereafter. Plus you get the added protection for the OEM German parts that are NLA.

It is rather pointless to say you "switch to GL-5" unless you specify which oil you switched to as many GL-5 oils give considerably worse shifting. You should also say what oil you switched from.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
neil68 wrote:
Sandbar Norm wrote:

It is rather pointless to say you "switch to GL-5" unless you specify which oil you switched to as many GL-5 oils give considerably worse shifting. You should also say what oil you switched from.
Shocked What, you want him to clog the thread up with worthless details? Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
neil68 wrote:
Sandbar Norm wrote:

Shocked What, you want him to clog the thread up with worthless details? Very Happy

No oil in it now, rebuilt and waiting to install.
I was just looking for putting oil that will shift good and help the trans last.
You know, I want the cake and also get to eat it also. Very Happy

Wildthings, what kind of GL-5?
Norm
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Sandbar Norm wrote:

Wildthings, what kind of GL-5?
Norm

It is neil68 that needs to fill in some blanks and not I. Wink
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

This looks like it would work well for me.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmissio...be-75w-90/
or this
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46
Norm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 68

Jump to: