Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Continental upper bed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Since Faux isn't selling kits anymore, I emailed the folks in the UK about the kit in the link above, but got no response Rolling Eyes

Maybe try via his eBay page:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Evolution-Reproduction-Westfalia-Roof-Bed-/181759098704

Thanks for the link!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried emailing them. I am really excited for this part. When I first wanted the bus this was what really drew me to consider a pop top and now I absolutely have to have one.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.I an planning of converting our bay using this setup.
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeds journey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

I know this thread is several years old however I wanted to see if you still are selling the hardware kits for the upper bed. I found a site online (VWEvolution) who sell the kits however they ship from UK and could take some time to get here..I would love to the keep the business local.

Let me know.

Jed
stevem49090
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Greetings Everyone,

Been sometime since I have visited this thread. I manufactured about 50+ of these kits a few years ago. I will see if I can find my original instructions for this kit. I will start making a few kits in a month or so since there seems to be a demand growing for them again. The maximum thickness to the mattress should not exceed 2". Memory foam works best.

99 New Beetle
72 Ghia convert.
73 Westy
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

stevem49090 wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

Been sometime since I have visited this thread. I manufactured about 50+ of these kits a few years ago. I will see if I can find my original instructions for this kit. I will start making a few kits in a month or so since there seems to be a demand growing for them again. The maximum thickness to the mattress should not exceed 2". Memory foam works best.

Great to hear! Sent you a PM.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Hansolo99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Also glad to hear. PM sent as well....
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Put me on the list too! Our van in North Carolina will definitely need one!
busboy73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

I sent you a PM as well. So glad to hear that you will be making some of these kits again.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

So I was thinking of doing a custom build while my top is off, How much room is there between the roof of the bus and the fiberglass? In other words how thick can my bed be at its highest point? If anyone can measure from the curve of the roof to the fiberglass it would be very helpful.

Edit: I just saw the post a few up about the mattress being 2" thick only, does that include the wood base?
themursenary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Pm sent! while reading this thread I was afraid I would not be able to get one, but then at the end you bring the good news! Glad to hear! Count me in!
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

a few photos of my upper bed i just finished making after removing my cot

just finishing up the one pillow / trap door section for climbing in , just going to hinge it , piece of cake

feel free to ask any questions guys , these beds are not really that difficult to produce , just start with good solid base ,

i found great good one side plywood that has a kind of fiberglass white super durable finish that you can see on the bottom matches great and cleans super easy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

can't wait to use leaving march 10th for 17 day road trip with family:)

and my 72'S!!!!!

1972 beetle sedan almost original

1972 westfalia current project, and loving it!!!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Did you get the hardware from the ebay guy or source it yourself? I need to make one of these but im not sure where to start in terms of thickness and how to mount it to be sturdy.
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Well I read up on the other threads and just made sure not to make it over 2 1/2 inches thick so that the top will close tight

Outside of that I made my own design only folding down one section of the pillow section do one person can lay there all the time and talk to people below and then install small section for second person or privacy ....

I used my own hinge set up , only reason because I used what wad available and worked best for me ......

I didn't feel I needed to purchase equipment from someone else with s little creativity and patience

Not saying my method is any better or worse than the set for sale on eBay etc....
But the most expensive part of mine was the fabric I picked out at fabricland and the foam .....

Outside of that pretty basic stuff , but depending on your finally results of how picky you are you either need to know how to do some basic sewing machine stuff or simply use a good staple gun to secure edges of fabric ...

More details and lots more photos if anyone is interested feel free to ask Smile

Take pride In building myself

and my 72'S!!!!!

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Yea, id love to copy your idea LOL! What kind of wood did you use? What thickness? Also where did you source your hinges? Are they spring loaded or did you make a prop to hold the bunk up? Does the wood go across the top to the other side of the opening to provide strength for the skinny end?
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

I will post steps and details of what I did starting from my cardboard template to lift up and down until you get perfect size of what the plywood needs to be cut at so it fits perfect Smile
A lot easier playing with cardboard first than heavy big wood Smile

And yup I did make it long enough to reach to other end of hole to support the bed on rooftop , this helped making adjustments for hardware since it would sit
Nicely

and my 72'S!!!!!

72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Curious as to how the bed is actually sitting on the roof. Is it just laying up there or are there any "legs" that are mounted to it that stands on the roof?
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

72camper wrote:
Curious as to how the bed is actually sitting on the roof. Is it just laying up there or are there any "legs" that are mounted to it that stands on the roof?

That's a good question actually.
Whilst I agree with Goodhand that it's great to do stuff by yourself, and the hinges of the bed are proving him right. But on the kit we got from the UK, the middle "legs" that come and sit on the roof opening are a pretty complex origami metal folding that I wouldn't have been able to reproduce in a neat way.

Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

here is a quick answer with a simple photo of what i used , that a already had in the gallery ,

i had these kicking around and didn't know what they where for , but you guys did help me out threw , they are little number supports for the spare tire inside the bus , but i relocated my tire out front soooo they worked perfect

i mounted them just near edge of the roof top opening and you can shift them to find that perfect spot for the bottom of the bed to rest onto to sit really firm and off the roof top , i ended up doing this in four locations 2 up closer to the foot eare and two right at the opening of the hole and than the bed /platform does rest on the far end of the roof where your heads rests , so i haven't made any "feet " to go down , currently it is super sturdy and solid had me and my 10 yr old up there with no prob ,
I'm about 165 lb and she is about 90 lbs .....

still got to finish up the one pillow hinge section where you can get in and out... but should be no prob ....... i will take some shots of the rubber mounts and there placement

photos are worth a thousand words!!!!!

any type of rubber would work i would think , any fellow canadians out there...i thought about shaving / shaping hockey pucks they really solid and pretty cheap "i think" , i don't play hockey and never bought one before lol
but i see them everywhere .....

card board template thought i would just through this in a bottom since i had photo

the key was creativity and using what was availably to me Smile

and my 72'S!!!!!

pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Continental upper bed Reply with quote

Goodhand77 wrote:
here is a quick answer with a simple photo of what i used , that a already had in the gallery ,

That's a pretty cool use of recycling you did!

Those rubber blocks go behind the spare wheel (in the rear of the van) so that it won't rub against the paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: