Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
sethm wrote:
So if the cars were not sent to Max then Who in the US besides him?

They were ALL sent to Max... he was the sole importer in the US.... however, he acted as the Distributor for East of the Mississippi. The West Coast Distributor was Johnny Von Neumann (another famous racer) and his Competition Motors. Basically, all these VW's came through Hoffman's warehouses and were legally imported by Hoffman.. hence... they are known as Hoffman Cars.. Smile

My Car I suspect.. was Imported by Hoffman... sent to Competition Motors, who sold it to Sayre VW in Roseburg OR.. which is where it started its life. I Can't prove it... but that's the theory.

So Let's say my '52, which i belive was sold in Co.
So......
Imported by Hoffman,
Sent to Johnny Von Neumann's distributor's,
Then sent to the Dealer in Colorado,
Sold to John Public.

Is this how it would have gone?

If this was the case, what is the big deal about having a Hoff car. All of them are Hoff cars between those years.
Now the real treat would be if it was sold out of Hoff's Dealership.

Spanish Flea
"Mr. Ford, i don't think what we are being offered here is worth a damn!" - Ernest Breech (On buying VW, March 1948)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish Flea wrote:
52HoffmanSplit wrote:
sethm wrote:

They were ALL sent to Max... he was the sole importer in the US.... however, he acted as the Distributor for East of the Mississippi. The West Coast Distributor was Johnny Von Neumann (another famous racer) and his Competition Motors. Basically, all these VW's came through Hoffman's warehouses and were legally imported by Hoffman.. hence... they are known as Hoffman Cars.. Smile

My Car I suspect.. was Imported by Hoffman... sent to Competition Motors, who sold it to Sayre VW in Roseburg OR.. which is where it started its life. I Can't prove it... but that's the theory.

So......
Imported by Hoffman,
Sold to John Public.

If this was the case, what is the big deal about having a Hoff car. All of them are Hoff cars between those years.

Spanish Flea

The point is, that of the HUNDREDS of thousands of split beetles that were produced, only a few hundred were actually imported into the US for sale.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Spanish Flea wrote:
52HoffmanSplit wrote:
sethm wrote:

So......
Imported by Hoffman,
Sold to John Public.

Spanish Flea

The point is, that of the HUNDREDS of thousands of split beetles that were produced, only a few hundred were actually imported into the US for sale.

This i understand. eg. in 1952, some 114,000 Bugs were made. Of that (if i remember about 930 of them were imported into the USA. (I dont' even think that accounts for 1% of production.)
This i understand of the rarity of having a USA split.

But......
Like i brought up in my prev. post. Would my bug being sold in Colorado be considered a Hoff car?

Spanish Flea
"Mr. Ford, i don't think what we are being offered here is worth a damn!" - Ernest Breech (On buying VW, March 1948)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish Flea wrote:
(if i remember about 930 of them were imported into the USA)

In 1952 604 were imported into the US, 930 in 1953... in fact between January of 1950 and Dec 1953 Max Hoffman Motor Cars imported just under 2000 VW's.

There were 435,363 total Type 11/15's made in that time period and about 0.4% were sold in the US. That's pretty much why we think they are special.

Spanish Flea wrote:
But......Like i brought up in my prev. post. Would my bug being sold in Colorado be considered a Hoff car?

Probably, however, perhaps it was brought back by a US serviceman and then sold immediately (this happened often) and then resold by the Colorado dealership. Only way to check is to order your Birth Certifcate and if it says the Destination was VW Distributing, New York NY.. then its almost certainly a Hoffman Car.

Does your Split have a MPH Speedo in it? Also, check for USA in Yellow grease pencil on the front under tank area where your Vin Tag and Body Number are. It may still be visible, mine is.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
Spanish Flea wrote:
(if i remember about 930 of them were imported into the USA)

In 1952 604 were imported into the US, 930 in 1953... in fact between January of 1950 and Dec 1953 Max Hoffman Motor Cars imported just under 2000 VW's.

There were 435,363 total Type 11/15's made in that time period and about 0.4% were sold in the US. That's pretty much why we think they are special.

Spanish Flea wrote:
But......Like i brought up in my prev. post. Would my bug being sold in Colorado be considered a Hoff car?

Probably, however, perhaps it was brought back by a US serviceman and then sold immediately (this happened often) and then resold by the Colorado dealership. Only way to check is to order your Birth Certifcate and if it says the Destination was VW Distributing, New York NY.. then its almost certainly a Hoffman Car.

Does your Split have a MPH Speedo in it? Also, check for USA in Yellow grease pencil on the front under tank area where your Vin Tag and Body Number are. It may still be visible, mine is.

I think my pod is a KPH. (I say think because my split has been in storage for 10 years. It was restored 5 years ago and put back in storge. I've only put about 20 miles on it, since i've owned it.)

Plus it has gone though a Pan Up resto. There was no USA marked in the front.

But i do have a pot-iron dealer badge. i'll shoot a pix tonight and post it.

I do NOT have the Birth Cert. I should have gotten that 10 years ago, when the mark was weak.

Spanish Flea (checking the ghost account to see if i have enough to give for a Birth Cert)
concoursmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

several cars were delivered through the dealership I work at, Concours Motors in Milwaukee, WI
we are still a VW and Porsche dealer!!!
The owner was a race car driver and that is how I assume he hooked up with Hoffman in his day.
We still have the original owner also!!
I've read of several cars being delivered through Concours on registrys etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I did not know that Frank Lloyd Wright designed max's show room and house. I'll have to look in the Frank Lloyd Wright book I gave my dad for xmass.
brian1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a possibility that any of these cars were not painted in the standard colors from the year of manufacture? I have questioned the color of my car and wondered if Hoffman asked that VW paint them colors that were more appealing so that they would sell. I just ask because my birth certificate came back "color not mentioned", as I have heard several others had the same experience.

Were these cars to be sent to the US, set aside and sprayed in colors that may have made them more desirable in the US?

Thanks for your time
eric lussier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: hoffman 50 Reply with quote

A friend came over the other day and was looking at my 1950 deluxe split project and noticed 4 small holes in the apron where a dealer badge once was and he started rambling about it being a hoffman dealer car? It is a deluxe that was pastel green originally that i bought about 15 years ago here in phoenix arizona. body number is 138661 and the pan# is 1-0191109. got it with an oklahoma title orig. No motor came in the car as didnt most of the parts like the speedo etc so im guessing at best where it came from. anyone wanna help me here to identify this as a correct hoffman car. how do I go about getting this things history as well? has anyone seen one of these dealer badges that went in the "H" of the apron as well??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
33woodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: hoffman 50 Reply with quote

eric lussier wrote:
A friend came over the other day and was looking at my 1950 deluxe split project and noticed 4 small holes in the apron where a dealer badge once was and he started rambling about it being a hoffman dealer car? It is a deluxe that was pastel green originally that i bought about 15 years ago here in phoenix arizona. body number is 138661 and the pan# is 1-0191109. got it with an oklahoma title orig. No motor came in the car as didnt most of the parts like the speedo etc so im guessing at best where it came from. anyone wanna help me here to identify this as a correct hoffman car. how do I go about getting this things history as well? has anyone seen one of these dealer badges that went in the "H" of the apron as well??

If you send for a "birth certificate" for your car to the VW Museum in Germany, it will include which distributor/country that the car was sold to.

Regards,
Jim
'72 Porsche 911S Albert Blue/Red leather
'11 Porsche Carrera 4S Black
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian1957 wrote:
Is there a possibility that any of these cars were not painted in the standard colors from the year of manufacture? I have questioned the color of my car and wondered if Hoffman asked that VW paint them colors that were more appealing so that they would sell. I just ask because my birth certificate came back "color not mentioned", as I have heard several others had the same experience.

Were these cars to be sent to the US, set aside and sprayed in colors that may have made them more desirable in the US?

Thanks for your time
We don't know if Hoffman was personally responsible, but the answer is yes! My own '52 Hoffman zwitter was painted two-tone dark blue with light blue sides, and it's apparent the color combo dated back to the '50s, because the car was repainted in the early '60s and after so many years the two-tone was showing through.

It has been documented that VWs were often painted more appealing colors other than the drab brown, green or blue it came through in. So it's very possible your car was repainted when it was new. But having said that, it's also common for birth certificates not to mention color. The birth certificate for my '52 standard doesn't list a color, and it was sold new in Germany.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to dig up a sorta old thread, but while i was going through some of my paperwork, i found a piece of advertising i've had for many years. it's a double sided Hoffman advertisement. i don't know the exact date or what magazine it may have been in (if in one at all), but the cardboard backing that was in the envelope i got the piece with says "1952 Volkswagen". enjoy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome!

I need to find one of those!

Thanks for sharing.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Hoffman offered the Standard also? Up until a year or so ago I thought Stds were never sold in the US, but someone posted a US market brochure showing one, and I thought it was Hoffman?

It was prior to the establishment of VW of America.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkswagen United States, and then Volkswagen of America, weren't established until 1955. The Hoffman contract expired at the end of 1953, and during '54, the company dealt directly with the contacts that Hoffman had established.

A few standards made their way over, but keep in mind the Deluxe was also called the Export, and the company always targeted its top-of-the-line models at the U.S. We don't know the precise date, but I'm sure at a certain point the company began to discourage importation of the Standard, and it probably happened quite early on.

Heinz Nordhoff
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have seen more than one Hoffman split that was a standard. So it happened.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am going to speculate that the $1395 price could be for a standard. notice how the deluxe model is $200 more expensive.
bait and switch?
get you in the door type advertising?
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i am going to speculate that the $1395 price could be for a standard. notice how the deluxe model is $200 more expensive.
bait and switch?
get you in the door type advertising?

Yeah, you may be right, I hadn't noticed that the $1395 price wasn't on any of the model thumbnails.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standard is a Hoffman (50)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1952 standard zwitter is also a Hoffman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: