Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Circle Yer Wagen movie
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WooHoo!!!
I was at the premier for this acou-ple of hours ago, and its a really cool Flick, I'm not in to the AC VW but I'm a big Vanagon junky!, and the movie does hit a cord with any vw fan or owner, it is the VW way of life, we are a crazy bunch of strangers that love to help other strangers with the same addiction!
I like it enough that I might find a bay westy to save and get back on the road!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CapoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Announced Today: Circle the Wagen at Capo VW! Reply with quote

“Circle the Wagen” will be showing on the following dates and times on the ginormous 220” TV at Capistrano VW in San Juan Capistrano:
• Saturday, July 13th at 7:45pm* and 10:15pm
• Sunday, July 14th at 7:45pm and 10:15pm

Director Ryan Steven Green and the film’s two clueless dudes (Dave Torstenson and Charlie Pecoraro) will introduce each film and will be available for a Q&A session immediately thereafter.

*The Saturday 7/13 7:45pm show is the one you'll want to attend! From now until July 8th (or until sold out, whichever comes first), we will reserve tickets for this show only for members of the vintage VW air-cooled community. Special VIP parking in front of the store for air-cooled VW's will be available starting at 5:30pm that night along with a complimentary BBQ dinner.

A special drawing from those who reserve early will be held for each of the 4 shows. The winner will get 2 VIP tickets to watch the movie from front and center, seated in the comfort of The Croc, complete with car hop food/beverage service and some extra perks as well!

Tickets are free, but must be reserved in advance. Seating capacity per show is right at 100 people.

Please visit www.capovw.com/circlethewagen to watch the trailer and reserve your spot at any one of the 4 screenings of Circle the Wagen!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ryan Steven Green (Director), Dave Torstenson (Clueless dude), and Charlie Pecoraro (Co-Pilot) standing with the '72 bus known as "The Croc".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like these film makers had dreams that weren't grounded in reality. As the text version of the OC Register article in suebug's post states, "It didn't take long, post-purchase, for Torstenson to realize his mistake. The bus had no heater or radio. He knew nothing about fixing cars or VWs in particular. The engine made an ominous clunking sound." http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6695990&highlight=#6695990

Theirs was similar to the experiences many of us who post on The Samba have had -- including me after I took possession of a nine year old VW. Only in most of our cases we weren't several hundred miles from home. We learned to fix our cars before setting out on overnight drives. Their experience is an all too common case of people not knowing the condition of their vehicle. They think all they need to do is put gas in it and be on their merry way. How many times have you met people stranded on the side of the road who were totally unprepared for emergency repairs? For example, some people have a suitable spare tire but don't bother to find out until it's too late that they have no jack to raise the car. The old adage applies here, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

The premise of their movie seems to be found in this quote from the article, "That's when he had an idea: They would drive The Croc to L.A. with the help of AIRS and capture the journey on film." They raised enough money with the help of family and friends to document their journey from Tulsa to Los Angeles but didn't think to spend some of that money on engine repairs before leaving Tulsa. Their attitude was "Why spend money on repairs or do preventive maintenance when (quote from article) 'Members of AIRS help stranded VW drivers for free. They even feed them sometimes and let them crash on their couches.'" That may sound like a feel-good story "about strangers trusting strangers" but if they had tried it last week in much of the Southwest when temperatures hit triple digits they would have been cursing at themselves and each other if they had broken down once again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iboughtthecroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall, you actually hit on one of the major underlying themes of our film. As the guy who bought the Croc, I get my fair share of well-deserved ribbing in the film for making a pretty dumb purchase, not having the first clue of what it would take to actually own/operate a 40-year old vehicle. (And for what it's worth, I did drop a few hundred bucks more into engine repairs before leaving Tulsa way back when--only to have the bus break down again just minutes after leaving the repair shop! That was before we even thought to film this whole misadventure.)

But when I discovered this amazing, altruistic, and expansive network of vintage VW owners, I – and my co-filmmakers – knew it was something that needed to be lifted up. You guys have something to teach us all about the power of community – especially since it's a rather unusual thing to see such a strong community build around something as simple as the mutual love for a vehicle.

And trust me: there were plenty of times while attempting this roadtrip and making this film that I cursed myself for attempting the whole thing in the first place! Smile

Anyway, I hope you'll give the film a shot if you ever have the opportunity to see it!
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys awesome movie! I was lucky enough to get into the Capo VW screening and had a blast. Everyone there at the dealership were doing their best to keep everyone happy, at least that's what I observed. Good times for sure.

iboughtthecroc wrote:

But when I discovered this amazing, altruistic, and expansive network of vintage VW owners, I – and my co-filmmakers – knew it was something that needed to be lifted up. You guys have something to teach us all about the power of community – especially since it's a rather unusual thing to see such a strong community build around something as simple as the mutual love for a vehicle.

Very, very true and for this reason, I love driving my 52 year old bus daily. I have made life-long friendships and had the best times of my life because of the great community of people who drive these cars. Come back and visit anytime. Shoot, bring the boys and come hang out at a couple of the gatherings. A couple beers, bbq, and you'll be back in a bus soon enough..
Phil 4:13
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading my post again I realize I came across as a bit judgmental. I was, as the lawyers in court say, "assuming facts not in evidence". It's just that your undertaking is something I would not have attempted.

Anyway, I'm glad you got your film made. Welcome to the Samba, where people have opinions and give them. Wink
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the film. I've been part of the VW community since I bought my first Beetle in '76. One thing I discovered pretty quickly was that "family." And as with most families, there is no judgement. You accept them all, no matter how misguided they are. If they truly have the love, then they are family. It made me a fan for life.

-jeffrey
CharliePecoraro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna say big ups to Randall for his generous spirit. I don't find many threads on other sites where people consider one another or even their own comments. I love that this community is so damn reasonable, regular & down to Earth. And JHicken is the man. J, we GOTTA play that fest in NJ. You got me thinking bout those brats!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Charlie, we'll make it happen.

-jeffrey
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
No problem Charlie, we'll make it happen.

-jeffrey

Projector at AACG?

Lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm thinkin... You game Mike? New Jersey Premier, at the Gathering?

-jeffrey
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can make that happen... Lets talk. I would just need 'lectric and a place to "make" a screen... Generally between two trees or a bus would work again like we did a few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see this movie!

Please let us know when it can be purchased

Cheers,
Gruppe B
CharliePecoraro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Circle the Wagen plays PacNW! Reply with quote

Here is the news posted on TheSamba's events page:

Circle the Wagen Pacific Northwest screening!
August 14, 2013. 7pm for food & 9pm for screening
36922 SE 20TH STREET, WASHOUGAL WA 98671

Circle the Wagen is kicking off the 6th annual Columbia Gorge International Film Festival with a FREE outdoor screening on a private farm! ALL vintage VW enthusiasts are invited as are fans of film & documentary film.

There already are a few caravans planned for the big event & an impromptu vintage show will take place. Food & drinks will be available for purchase.

DUB BOX USA is the official sponsor - thanks Shane!

Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/566208583426108/

CIRCLE THE WAGEN is a feature-length buddy/road-trip/docu-dramedy on the vintage Volkswagen subculture in America––that close-knit community for whom the joy of driving is the joy of living. It follows Dave, an idealistic adventurer and automotive ne’er-do-well, on his journey down Route 66 in a ‘72 bus won on eBay for $787. Through countless backfires, blowouts, and breakdowns the heart of the vintage VW community is revealed as they attempt to save “The Croc” from the scrap heap and rally her beleaguered owner on to California.

Follow Circle the Wagen!
FB:https://www.facebook.com/CircleTheWagen
Insta: @circlethewagen
twitter: @circlethewagen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
CharliePecoraro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Circle the Wagen plays ORLANDO Reply with quote

(taken from the events page)

CIRCLE THE WAGEN: follows Dave, an idealistic adventurer and automotive ne’er-do-well, and his convivial co-pilot Charlie—on their journey down Route 66 in a baby blue 1972 VW bus. Through mishaps and murals, gasoline baths and breakdowns, the two discover a teeming underground of vintage VW diehards willing to help save “The Croc” from the scrap heap and rally her beleaguered owner on to California.

WHAT: Circle the Wagen, your favorite "buddy/road-trip/docu-dramedy" about the vintage Volkswagen subculture, makes its East coast premiere at the Orlando Film Festival, (which looks INCREDIBLE).

WHEN: Saturday, October 19th, 5pm

WHERE: COBB Theatre Plaza Cafe 12
155 South Orange Ave, Orlando, Florida 32801
Theatre 12

HOW MUCH MONIES: only $10 for a DAY PASS. Yup, you can see alllll the movies you can handle, for an entire day, for only $10 smack-a-roos. That's incredible!

WHAT ELSE: more info at http://orlandofilmfest.com/film/circle-the-wagen/

PPS: Dave, Charlie, & Ryan will unfortunately not be able to attend the screening in Orlando (we're really bummed about this) but this is a GREAT opportunity to see the doc on the big screen for those of you in the Southeast who've been asking.

for the latest updates, follow Circle the Wagen at:
CircleTheWagen.com
@circlethewagen (twitter & Instagram)
www.facebook.com/circlethewagen
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my tickets and seats reserved!!!!

Check out my Aircooled blog @ http://stevo.skyblogs.be
Wide 5 Vintage Volkswagen Club
http://www.wide5.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karlonwheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any screenings coming up along the East Coast?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check on their fb page. I believe the DVD is coming out on amazon soon

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital version hit iTunes and Amazon today.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those interested, its currently under 1$ on steam until november 1st...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382710/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_7
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: