Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Made a run out to the Eastern Sierras after work with my pal Jayne (the dog) to try and find some winter weather. Got a great hike into the mouth of the mountains there in the background. Then hustled back home for work. After that, i loaded the ladies (girlfriend, and now TWO dogs) and made our way out to Big Sur on the California coast.
Had a few beers with a lot of good friends, laughed, and made the best use of the fire and stars we could.
I was pretty stoked. i hadn't had the van on roads like the ones in Big Sur (windy, hairpin, steep roads). She did fantastic and marched on without one complaint.
Sister visiting next week and she wants to go to.......you guessed it, Big Sur, so ill be making the trip again. Ill get some better photos on this trip. (a little less rushed). Its a beautiful place!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hey bosstyn,

That looks like a great trip - makes me miss my CA days - fortunately my wife's family still lives in the south bay area. Looking forward to getting out to the left coast with the Westy.

Around Big Sur area my wife and I went camping there back in the day at Andrew Molera with her '68 Volvo - god I loved that car -

My contribution to this thread for today is that I took my Westy out for a drive to nearby Utica to the Munson Williams Proctor Art Institute to see Monet to Matisse - a show on it's final three days. Great couple hours and a good investment of time. Forgot how much I enjoy art museums and galleries.
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Our Syncro got us home safe and sound from an all day trip to the Mountains. Not as much snow as there usually is this time of year but we did manage to find a couple of pretty crazy spots along the way.

Link

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Took a trip into the mountains Reply with quote

A little day trip up to the Cascades, a little black ice on the way, a few spinouts and wrecks to learn from.

And a few pictures. Sorry, no Westy in the pictures, not allowed on the trail.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskq7qKju

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip to Colorado. Reply with quote

Hey Buddy , looks like you had a great time Smile
BTW dont you work anymore LOL

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Put the van to work a couple days ago. Filled up two 100 lb propane tanks and brought them home. Boy it sure made me a conscious driver on the way home having these babies strapped to the bulkhead right behind my back! Way better than a litre of coffee to wake one up in the morning. For some reason every time someone came up close to my rear as I was poking along they backed right off? Laughing Was feeling like Major Kong Riding the Bomb on the way home! Glad I only have to do that every couple years!

Link

1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^^ Nice reference! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ryanwade95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took my 1990 westy up the coast from Big Sur, up the 101 into Oregon, then explored a little around Portland, and drove her back to Southern California last week. Round trip was about 2,800 miles. No problems at all.. however, I shouldn't jinx myself
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I've always wanted to base out of my Westy for hunting but there is usually too much snow for our 2WD. This year no snow, so I took the van and it was great! So nice to be able to dress and eat inside when early and dark. Bought a shelf to carry home a deer, and just loved the whole setup.

Beaverhead River valley and Ruby Mountains, MT.

DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
I've always wanted to base out of my Westy for hunting but there is usually too much snow for our 2WD. This year no snow, so I took the van and it was great! So nice to be able to dress and eat inside when early and dark. Bought a shelf to carry home a deer, and just loved the whole setup.

Beaverhead River valley and Ruby Mountains, MT.

I've been there many a time. Smile

Surprised it's so clear of snow, esp after the last couple storms that passed through.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Less and later snow every year it seems. This was mid-November. Beautiful part of the state.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Less and later snow every year it seems. This was mid-November. Beautiful part of the state.

Ahhh gotcha... I was going to say, all of that is COVERED in snow right now.

That's between where I grew up (Billings,) and where I live now. (Missoula.)

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Entering the Valles Caldera National Preserve in northern New Mexico for an early November elk hunt.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Kalyet wrote:
Yukon Syncro wrote:

Put the van to work a couple days ago. Filled up two 100 lb propane tanks and brought them home.

Can I ask what they are used for?

These two tanks are used for a propane cook stove in a house, should be good for a couple years. Using bigger tanks means more pressure so less likely to freeze up when it's winter and have less pressure due to the tempature outside. Also use them whereever the smaller 20lb tanks are used, for a outdoor propane burner we use for melting duck wax on, or a propane poultry scalder, etc. We BBQ on wood so imagine you could use with a propane one just have to make sure your regulator is the right kind to handle the pressure. Have used to fire a pottery kiln, propane heaters, so you can pretty much use the large ones for anything you would use the 20lbs for. For the portable tanks you can also get 40 and 60 lb tanks.

Now for transporting smart.. Not sure about that, but it was fully legal. The guys at the propane station were impressed with the van and fell all over themselves checking it out when I explained it was a syncro. These large tanks are usually transported in the back of trucks since they need to be vented and visible and secured upright. Even a 10 degree list and they would have not let me take them.
1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Helped a friend move a King Size Bed the other day. Frame and 2 part boxspring in the back and the mattress up top. Rotated the front seat and made him sit backwards to hold on to the frame pieces so they wouldn't bang around inside. Just a ridiculous thing to do... but at least we can do it with these vans!

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

a2d2 wrote:
Helped a friend move a King Size Bed the other day. Frame and 2 part boxspring in the back and the mattress up top. Rotated the front seat and made him sit backwards to hold on to the frame pieces so they wouldn't bang around inside. Just a ridiculous thing to do... but at least we can do it with these vans!

Pillow top!! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Just returned from my annual Christmas trip visiting family in the Sacramento area. I was hoping to do some shooting in the National Forest, but roads were blocked by recent snowfall.
The northbound drive on Christmas Day was a nightmare due to strong headwinds over the Grapevine/Tejon Pass.
My Syncro hates headwinds.
On the return trip, with light quartering tailwinds, the drive was very enjoyable until the traffic seized up at Mettler. From there SB 99 was bumper to bumper at about 10 mph up the grade to Fort Tejon. Light rain turned to ice on the windshield, and DOT trucks were spreading sand on the roadway. This stop and go traffic required constant shifting between 1st and second gear, and I experienced some inexplicable elevated engine temps.
Is it possible ice was forming on the screen of the bra?

At any rate the van purred like a kitten, and got about 20 mpg for the 800 mile round trip, in spite of the poor road conditions.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandcough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Tonight I made a big pot of "Sunday Sauce" (meatballs and stuff in tomato sauce) for a party tomorrow and there was no room in the fridge to store it overnight. The van was parked a block away (I live in Brooklyn) so I carried the big pot over to the van, put it in the Truckfridge and voila! Problem solved.
docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Threw my girl and the dog into the new baby, and drove out to Fort Worden State Park to enjoy some rare PNW sunshine. Was nice to be able to swivel the seat around and have a beer while watching the water lap at the shore!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My neglected Westy took my son and I to the Columbia Gorge this weekend to explore the other waterfalls that are not Multnomah Falls.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pdb206/albums/72157662385076183

Camping opportunities were limited, due to the season, so we free-camped at Oneonta Gorge, 50 feet from the railroad which wasn't so bad. Absent a level crossing and the need to use the horn, trains are pretty relaxing to hear.

As we are accustomed to expect, she ran strong and hard the whole trip, returning 22 mpg, as always and after replacing the fuel rail and injectors. I found myself touching 75mph on the way back and had to back off a bit, no matter how badly I wanted to get home. 4000 rpm/65mph is plenty of load.

A pleasant surprise: after taking her with a full propane tank (per the PO), I decided to top it off and after several trips since May, including a 3 day trip with the fridge running the whole time), it only took 1.2 gallons of propane. I guess I won't worry too much.

Hoping to find some way to address how little time I get to spend enjoying my Westy, especially given how much enjoyment I get from her.[/url]

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 89

Jump to: