Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 428, 429, 430 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
seafinch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed the BusDepot VisionKit. Massive improvement.
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced skylight lift gizmo which was a lot more persnickety than I anticipated.

Washed and added layer of Penetrol to luggage carrier top. Had previously done the main top/roof when had it off a few weeks ago. Finally not riding around with a two tone burgundy roof!
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jokeraus wrote:
Installed a sirocco fan last night. Not sure if black was a great idea, hard to see out of your peripheral vision which could result in tangled hair Evil or Very Mad

Curious as to how you wired that in?
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tried to clean out the fridge flue vent with a bike pump on one end and vacuum on the other; spent some time under the sink with a ziptie to straighten the kink in the hose stopping water flow; vacuumed the carpets; installed one of the highback boosters because lap belts and no headrest is not cool. All in preparation for next week's adventure!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bought a turnbuckle to do a $4 equivalent to the GW $25 'rear hatch lock extension'. Added an internal latch to open the rear hatch - but Mrs fxr finds it too hard to turn. I forgot to take pictures of the current made-up-on-the-spur-of-the-moment installation, but will take some when I undo the whole thing and add some extra mechanical advantage (aka welly magnifier).
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I managed to squeeze some 6.5" Rockford PUNCH pro speakers in the front doors without any cutting. I also cut and modified the factory speaker to retain the grill and keep the factory look.

These speakers are massive and pretty heavy but they fit perfectly. I had some Dynamat that I placed on the door behind the speaker and juiced them up with a small Alpine power pack amp. They sound amazing. You will definitely need an amp to get the full power out of these. I could probably have gone with something twice as powerful.

The grills are held on with a bit of silicone.

Here is the speaker used. Sold individually.
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 Punch PRO 6.5-Inch Single Midrange 4 Ohm Loudspeaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076SIJP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_UYZGxbNFKYJC4

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dyldebus wrote:
I managed to squeeze some 6.5" Rockford PUNCH pro speakers in the front doors without any cutting. I also cut and modified the factory speaker to retain the grill and keep the factory look.

These speakers are massive and pretty heavy but they fit perfectly.

Nice job! The PO of my 86 managed to totally screw up this job, but he was out of his depth with a tool!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dyldebus wrote:

Did you have to do the mod in this thread, and if so, did you get a picture of the specifics by chance?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465055

idahoskier wrote:

First, I had to reroute the window tube to the back of the door metal which was easily accomplished by bending the metal retaining tab to the backside of the door. You can just see it in the top of the hole.

dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobby black wrote:

Did you have to do the mod in this thread, and if so, did you get a picture of the specifics by chance?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465055

Nope, I haven't seen that until now but we're definitely on the same page! If I had I probably would have stolen his idea with the little clips on the grill Cool

I don't have any additional pics but I might take off the panel and add a baffle for water protection:
https://www.amazon.com/DEI-050330-Round-Speaker-Ba...ker+baffle

It's really a no brainer to install.

1. Remove Door Panel with this vid
Link

2. Re-route the gray window tube just behind the metal (it's currently in the groove where the speaker goes. You can see in my photo that I used two zip ties to keep it in the same position. One going through the hole at the bottom and one on the bent metal tab at the top.

3. Hold speaker in place and mark the holes with a pencil (you can see my three mounting points in the photo).

4. Use a punch to tap a starting dent and drill out with 1/8" bit. Then put a dab of silicon on the holes to protect from rust.

5. Pull the wires from their stock location and snip the ends/strip and reroute them to the back panel where they come into the door (from the dash). You can push them through the plastic. Hook them to the speaker terminals.

6. Stick speaker up and screw it in. Easy! The advantage of the Rockford speaker is the additional mounting points so you don't need a special bracket or anything. The three points are super strong. Just know that the speaker does NOT come with screws but I happen to have some.

Optionally you can add that baffle for water protection as well as some dynamat or other sound deadener to the outer skin behind the speaker. It's a tight squeeze so I used the back (rounded) part of a screwdriver to stick it to the panel.

Also, I tried the speakers with just the head unit as a test and they sounded very average, after plugging in the Alpine Powerpack they sounded fantastic so I definitely would not run them without an amp. The Powerpack is the easiest install ever if you have a new Alpine head unit. If you don't, get a Class D Rockford Punch amp... they will dominate the powerpack in performance.

The stock wires are plenty large enough to handle the power (go Germany)
[/list][/list]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Working on the canvas and seals project... Flossie got her 'wig' off for a new hair dew!

New skylight going in, too!

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack...you have a nice piece of property!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Family heirloom, Im the prodigal son. Only in terms of having to keep track of my folks, kids, and all the local birds. As my dad always says "I'm rich, in rooms"

The maint. is a nightmare. The insurance is a killer, and its just family. So, Im a mess, most days.

Here is the "Front" of the house, btw.. The Rail Road tracks were on this side, back in 1914, so that's why the cars drive up the "Back" (was horses, and farming stuff back there at the time)

Its kind of lonely, really, its just me, my kids, and my parents at the moment. The place was built to house 53, and 2 caretakers.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

The maint. is a nightmare. The insurance is a killer, and its just family. So, Im a mess, most days.

Its kind of lonely, really, its just me, my kids, and my parents at the moment. The place was built to house 53, and 2 caretakers.

Yeah, that is a little too big!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Couch surfing / AirBnB galore!

no wonder you only put the country in your profile location otherwise you'd have all of us stopping by when passing through.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Top back on, new canvas, new skylight. Back in garage! New seals go on tomorrow, I hope, unless kids want to go to the county fair... Maybe it needs a wash! Gravel roads SUCK

Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Family heirloom, Im the prodigal son. Only in terms of having to keep track of my folks, kids, and all the local birds. As my dad always says "I'm rich, in rooms"

Here is the "Front" of the house, btw.. The Rail Road tracks were on this side, back in 1914, so that's why the cars drive up the "Back" (was horses, and farming stuff back there at the time)

That's really cool. I don't recall seeing the original Aase Haugen property, very neat. I had a friend who worked at the current Aase Haugen.
I'm hoping to get out that way soon, it's been too long.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dyldebus wrote:

Thank you!
Just ordered 4 of these for my Westy and Carat.
All of my speakers are blown and have been waiting on finding the right speaker replacement.

Here is the amp that I purchased
Rockford Fosgate Punch P400X2 P400-2 400 Watt RMS 2-Channel Amplifier
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301874256916?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will post up some install posts as well

Thanks again
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally finished the canvas and poptop seals. (and got a new rear screen too)

jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Been almost a month and still haven't received my harness from rmw. I still had work on the conversion to do though. Dropped the gas tank and installed my ss coolant pipes. Ordered a new tank reseal kit because I busted the plastic nipple on the crossover tube. Decided to upgrade to the metal nipple. Also ordered the radiator hoses that will fit 1.5 inch pipes.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

This:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 428, 429, 430 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 429 of 630

Jump to: