Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got one of my Hella H4 headlights installed, replacing the candle lanterns supplied by VW and Hella back in 87. Waiting on second headlight bucket to arrive so I can do the passenger side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the passenger's side Hella H4 headlight installed this morning, not the neatest or most trouble-free project but it's all done, except for the aiming. New South African style harness and local grounds as well.

Details here and throughout the thread.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well what a fun day.

I had a recently replaced brake sensor switch start to leak fluid.

Went to my local flaps bought a three pronged switch, it said 'made in Germany' on the box. Score. It said Meyle on the switch. Hmmm,

While putting the new switch on it seared leaving the end in the master cylinder.

Oh well.

Took the master cyclinder off, removed the offending broken bit with a cleaver reverse thread bit using my drill. Broke the drill in the process.

Went back to the friendly flaps, got a replacement switch, same German box, Meyle switch. Installed switch, cleaned reservoir etc, reinstalled

Bled the brakes.

Bled the clutch, the clutch needed doing! Now I have no clutch pedal at all.

Starting a thread to get some help.

What a fun day. Westy are great if you like tinkering and repair creep!

Mike

'82 Westy Diesel
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Door lock issues...

This afternoon, I removed the drivers side door handle to see why my key would not go in. (Issue occurred about two weeks ago.)

Anyway, it was quite obvious someone tried to break in using a screw-driver. The little door at the key hole was twisted and jammed to one side. There's no way I did it with my key and no one else drives my Vanagon.

So, I completely disassembled the locking mechanism, cleaned, tweaked the tumblers due to wear causing them to drag a bit, lubed and reassembled. Amazing how well it worked. I only shot some lithium grease in the passenger side lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Door lock issues...

This afternoon, I removed the drivers side door handle to see why my key would not go in. (Issue occurred about two weeks ago.)

Anyway, it was quite obvious someone tried to break in using a screw-driver. The little door at the key hole was twisted and jammed to one side. There's no way I did it with my key and no one else drives my Vanagon.

So, I completely disassembled the locking mechanism, cleaned, tweaked the tumblers due to wear causing them to drag a bit, lubed and reassembled. Amazing how well it worked. I only shot some lithium grease in the passenger side lock.

My advice is rather than any grease aerosol or liquid lubricants for locks and such is to use graphite powder. Unlike grease, aerosol, or liquids it doesn't collect dust or debris in the mechanism over time. Just my 2¢.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
AndyBees wrote:
Door lock issues...

My advice is rather than any grease aerosol or liquid lubricants for locks and such is to use graphite powder. Unlike grease, aerosol, or liquids it doesn't collect dust or debris in the mechanism over time. Just my 2¢.

I tend to agree as I have used graphite on car door locks in the past. It does work very well. However, I suspect this was the first time these locks have been lubed since rolling off the assembly line 32 years ago. In 32 years, I'll be 97.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Quote:
In 32 years, I'll be 97

Wow Andy you're just a young pup, like most on here. Very Happy
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Michael4104 wrote:
Quote:
In 32 years, I'll be 97

Wow Andy you're just a young pup, like most on here. Very Happy

Yeah, I cannot believe that I'm tinkering on VWs at my age! Right now, I have my '84 with the TDI engine in the garage with all the wheels off, hubs removed, transmission out, etc.

The tranny is ready to go back in with new clutch assembly using a pilot shaft to accept a TDI clutch disc. I also changed out the diff due to a pitting race on the adjusting collar. It's getting new front rotors, bearings (front and back) and new brake shoes on the rear. Today, I dropped off a new exhaust system at the welder. Everything is cut! All he has to do is weld...

I hope this lasts me for at leas another 15 years...

We will be heading to Alaska some time during the last week in June ... Very Happy
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
IIRC early vans had regular allen screws (mine did). As long as they are the correct grade, they work just fine.

They are a bit more likely to strip out though. So a thorough cleaning of the heads and a quality bit are a necessity. I did mine twice and only stripped 2 screws (my own fault really). Embarassed

Huh, well then. I hadn't imagined that the '87 would be 'early' but I guess it could have come out and back in with an older set of bolts. Or perhaps the hex's were the 'kit' available at the time.

Anyway, I cleaned and spent way too much time under the rig. I did get all the driver side bolts off, only one gave me trouble from the hex stripping out, and I was able to use a lock grip to get it. Then I started on the passenger side. I am not really sure of what happened since I cleaned it up as the other side, and proceeded to strip the hex's out. Lock grips to no avail this time. I went to the parts store to see if I could get a torx to hammer in as seen in another post as one solution. The guy explained that his assortment were not hardened to the point I was describing, and that I would need something like snap-on to deal with it. He pointed to the hammer on from the outside type of gripper removers. Spendy. I had seen this type in another post as well, but did not remember much of the text of that post, just the picture. Perhaps the person who showed it had also talked about the inherent issue with use of that kind.

So, I proceeded. Hammered on the first one and got it. Hammered on the second one, it was too tough, and I broke the grip of the teeth. Was super disappointed with myself for not taking enough time. Got frustrated, hammered it further on. All the while, I was noticing that the diameter of the outside-grip tool was actually denting in the CV (boot?) metal.

After much swearing, and smacking my fingers with the hammer, I figured that I had it far enough on this time. Slowly began to pull again. And, stripped it yet again. Feeling depressed, I gave up for the time being. Again, I sprayed the whole area with PB and let it rest.

Today, I found the 'easy-out' that should fit the inside hex. Also, I replaced my hammer type impact tool, as I had somehow lost some of the parts. Maybe if I can't get the easy-out to make it move, I can cut a line and smack the heck out of it until it gives. Problem being, of course, that there is very little room to swing a hammer down there, as well as holding the impact driver. I think perhaps the hand held hammer type is most likely a non starter, but I needed to get a replacement set for other projects anyway.

Last resort will be use of wire welder to put makeshift end on to again try from the outside...

Question: Now that I have dented in the CV sleeve, have I also most likely damaged the actual mechanicals, or will it be that I just need to replace the CV boot? Anyone with experience denting these like this have trouble removing the dented parts?

Also, any suggestions on replacement bolts? The triple square or yet another round of hex? Is there an different alternative?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

spent a painful number of hours beating my rig with a variety of devices. And although they were intended for good, it seemed to have a wide variety of negative consequences, not yet realized.

After much consternation:

And, cleaned up the registration markings:

Can't yet decipher the numbers... Matching? Whoot, I got a gold mine...... or not.

At least I got the Cv/axle bolts free. Wow, next I guess will be to look inside the bell housing. That is... If the rest of the bolts and nuts don't give me as much trouble as the CV bolts did. Maybe have it out tonight. Maybe

BTW: easy-outs were completely useless waste of time, effort, and money.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

it is the partnr of the petrol bellhousing.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Triplesqaure 10.9 grade bolts are the way to go in my opinion.

If you can get access to use a drill, the heads of the bolts can be drilled off without much effort. I usually use a drill bit one size larger than the bolts shank. You may need an extra long bit due to access restrictions IIRC.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

When I did my front axle shafts last year it took me 3.5 hours to remove the drivers side. Cleaning the bolt heads out with a dental pick, struggling with a small ratchet, stripping out 2 which had to be drilled.... So on the passenger side I did the "quick and dirty" approach; I sprayed the bolt heads with some brake cleaner then hit them with compressed air (wear eye protection) then got out the impact gun with a 2 foot extension and blasted them out. That side was done in under 15 minutes. Twisted Evil

Every job is just practice for the next time.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Lately I've found that a Cordless impact tool does an amazing job removing stuck bolts!

To me it is counter intuitive to use power tools on a stuck fastener rather than a good solid twisting action.
But the repeated rapid blows really shock many stuck fasteners into coming undone.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

X3

Idaho Doug convinced me to bite on an impact driver a couple years ago...love it!

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Lately I've found that a Cordless impact tool does an amazing job removing stuck bolts!

To me it is counter intuitive to use power tools on a stuck fastener rather than a good solid twisting action.
But the repeated rapid blows really shock many stuck fasteners into coming undone.

Dave

Good point Dave. Another way is to shock the bolts by hitting their heads with a hammer, or a hammer and punch if they are hard to get to. Works most every time.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wow, Im exhausted! But the trans-axle is on the floor. So, good then.

Here are a few pics to show what I found when I looked inside... What'cha think?

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Other than oily as he!!, pretty much looks like it should.

Maybe I missed the question/problem...???

-or-

Maybe you need to start your own tranny thread?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Most likely your CV Boot is okay. Bends can be hammered back in place. Just make sure there is no hole in the rubber. I'm sure you know that.

For What It Is Worth, below is a link that might be helpful providing a little info about your transmission. Click the link and scroll down to Post #8. Toward the bottom of that post, pay particular attention as to the location of the Tranny Code and build date ... The Tranny code can be compared to those in the chart..

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Aimed my new Hella H4s, so as not to blind anyone. Definitely worth the effort to get these installed.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 423 of 630

Jump to: