Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best side tent (modern)?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogcoves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Bus wrote:
I like the spacemaker as well, just it's so huge....

I also like this one:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a few other vendors:
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/index.asp?category=294705

UK - Has some nice installed images of various tent/awnings.
http://www.campershop.co.uk/awnings.htm

I agree Spacemaker is too big --- Did you buy the small Reimo in photo? Wondering the quality?

My Past Volkswagens:
1958 karmann ghia
1963 Beetle
1963 Westfalia
1966 Westfalia
1970 Beetle
1970 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, in the process of contacting the vendor, their website say's "instock". So we'll see what happens next....

this is nice as well!

- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

Just put in for the Bus Depot Spacemaker- happy to post first assembly pics etc if anyone is interested... to any current owners of side / drive-away tents:

What "attachment" to the bus are you using? The standard appears to block the rain gutter, the Side Tent Mounting Channel looks like it might chip away at paint (ordered them before that occurred to me)... the suction cups seem the obvious choice, look cool, but are mildly pricey if not ordered with the tent ... anyone else have experience hooking this rig to their bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Bus wrote:
Not yet, in the process of contacting the vendor, their website say's "instock". So we'll see what happens next....

this is nice as well!

Anyone know if these are available in North America?
PicklePickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyvw9 wrote:
I just got one of the spacemaker tents and it is pretty nice. There are two good size bags, but I stack them nicely in the luggage rack. It is good sized so it holds lots of crap. Here are a couple shots of it in action.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Woody
1978 Westy
2002 Passat GLX wagon

[/img]

I'm just lovin' the Westy! I love the color and wheel combo!! Very nice!!!! Oh yeah, and the side tent it cool too! Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of these tents freestanding? I like the idea of adding extra room but all those strings everywhere and then having to take the thing down to go exploring seems like a real pain. The Spacemaker looks nice but is way too big for my needs.
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are any of these tents freestanding? I like the idea of adding extra room but all those strings everywhere and then having to take the thing down to go exploring seems like a real pain. The Spacemaker looks nice but is way too big for my needs.

I hear ya ("too big") as a former "if it doesn't fit in the pack, it ain't coming up the mountain" camper/hiker- but I am slowly learning (OK, call it immersion therapy for all involved) that with a child (who is ecstatic about camping yet easily distracted so needs some toys), and a Woman (who is trying her best to grapple my intense excitement over the VW, and camping, and VW camping, along w/ the boy being superkeen on the whole idea) that the more space, the better!

That said, I can't offer a first hand account- yet. We've toughed it out with the Rivi and a tarp-to-separate-tent format; but My Woman has eagerly endorsed the Spacemaker floorplan, it's floorcover (a huge source of contention) as well as it's pricetag. The "connection" to the vehicle makes her feel more secure, as well as the sizeable shelter. Add the driveaway capability, and I suspect it will be kickass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1FUNBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m very happy with my spacemaker tent. I was a little skeptical about the separate floor covering at first but I’m getting used to it. It is a well constructed, heavy duty unit. I’ve only set it up twice but I know that the more I use it the easier it will be to put up and take down. It has removable privacy curtains that cover the windows and a separate “room” with built in floor that clips in place. My 9 year old daughter helped set it up. It came in handy with the rain shower that came through at our Cincinnati Buses n Boats campout. I also have a small clamshell trailer so packing it isn’t a problem for me. Good luck with your decision.

71 Beetle, 1776, dual Kadrons
77 Westy, Camper Special 2.0 F.I.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new version of the Spacemaker coming at the end of the month. This one has an actual sewn-in floor, and packs smaller. Normally this version is $100 more than the other one, but the supplier gave us a deal because they couldn't deliver the other one on time. So, for now, it is the same price ($399). Link:

http://busdepot.com/details/spacemaker.jsp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woodyvw9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle Pickle,
Thanks for the kind words about my bus. It was painted white over the sage when I got it and I went into the paint shop with cyber green metallic as my color. The paint guy agreed.

Currently being loaded onto a truck to move to California.

Woody
1978 Westy
2002 Passat GLX wagon
Tooster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Spacemaker - Flaps and Floor Reply with quote

I bought the old model Spacemaker last year. I like it, but can't figure out the correct way to stake the flaps and the floor (no instructions).

I looked at the picture of what you did above and it looks like you staked the outside flap layer on the outside which is obvious, but what did you do on the inside - namely, how did you handle the floor. Did you stake the inside flaps to the floor or is the floor not connected to the inside flaps - and thus there is exposed ground on the inside? It seems like my floor sheet isn't big enough.
Olde Volks Place
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have a very strange question. Has anyone ever seen -known of - a tent that you could utilize with two buses. We just bought a second camper, and I would love to find something that would have two bus terminals, and a opening to enter in the front. That way the tent could serve as somewhat of a vestibule to the two buses. Of course since both of ours are American in nature we will have to face the buses in opposite directions. ???????????

April
grandfatherjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a view with the Spacemaker setup showing how it kind of feels like a livingroom.
At first I really didn't like the separate floor idea, but after this trip to BusFusion (4 day weekend), we really like having no floor. You get in and out of the bus so often, and every time you go through the Spacemaker you would be crunching across the floor. It was nice having it acting primarily as shade.
However, we had great weather. We would have wanted the floor if the ground was soaked.

http://picasaweb.google.com/grandfatherjim/Busfusion2008/photo#5215796794984763506
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olde Volks Place wrote:
Okay I have a very strange question. Has anyone ever seen -known of - a tent that you could utilize with two buses. We just bought a second camper, and I would love to find something that would have two bus terminals, and a opening to enter in the front.

... or you could just get one of these (poached from grandfatherjim's photo album link, above) Shocked

zunic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my question will sound stupid but it seems important for me!

Is there any material between the bottom of the slidding door and the ground? In other words, I would like to sleep in the tent while my baby is inside the van... and I would like to let the slidding door open. Will mosquitos be able to reach us!?

Thank you!

Pascal

Busdepot wrote:
We have a new version of the Spacemaker coming at the end of the month. This one has an actual sewn-in floor, and packs smaller. Normally this version is $100 more than the other one, but the supplier gave us a deal because they couldn't deliver the other one on time. So, for now, it is the same price ($399). Link:

http://busdepot.com/details/spacemaker.jsp
grandfatherjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing there; mosquitos will definitely reach you.
We have been thinking about some way to block it off but haven't done anything yet. We may make some kind of storage box that will come out and be used as a step up into the bus, so that would have to somehow interface with whatever is used to block mosquitoes.
Jim
grandfatherjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We received our new version of Spacemaker right before taking off on vacation for two weeks, where we experienced it through good weather and bad. Here it is set up at the pommerie where we camped first. The next place we went, a music festival, it was just too big. The third place, near Moravia NY, we set it up again, and it rained intensely for days. It stood up very well in the rain and wind.

Pros:
1. When packed, it fits in the spaces in our Adventurewagen, whereas the previous Spacemaker didn't quite. Probably a non-issue for most people.
b) the poles are shorter when packed.
2. Lighter weight - also nice if you're hoisting it into overhead storage places.
3. Big. Really big. Great if you need lots of space.
4. Faster setup, although not by too much.
5. All four sides open up, compared to three sides on the earlier one.
6. Floor connected to rest of tent - maybe a pro. Not sure yet. Seems OK.
7. Great big awning over main entrance keeps rain out of tent very well.
8. Not as many pegs as the earlier one, with all its extra pegs for the separate floor. Still lots, but maybe less than a hundred...

Cons:
1. Opening on van side does not cover entire sliding door when in open position. Very susceptible to being torn when the door is slid open not too carefully. I just know it will happen eventually. Strange because the earlier one did cover the opening and the sliding door entirely.
2. Big. Really big. Too big for some campsites.
3. If ground isn't level, you end up with excessive tension where the floor meets the bottom of the poles. It has started to rip a bit already in one place. Very disappointed in this.
4. Non-detachable floor - maybe a con for some people.

Now that we have both (hmmm, gotta unload one somehow...), to me, the ideal version would be about the size of the earlier one, or even a tad smaller, with the ease of setup and and packed size of the newer one, or smaller. There are usually just the two of us camping so this is real overkill.

I know I'm forgetting something. I'll post later if I remember.
Jim
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandfatherjim wrote:

Cons:
... Big. Really big.

... seems like an understatement. That thing is enormous. One of the reasons we got a bus was to simplify ... I think we'll pass. Thanks for posting all that info though ... very helpful.
Westy Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying it's the best but it works nicely while camping, as a vendor at festivals or in the backyard...a few different ways to use it, with solid panels attached, with bug screens attached, sans screens or any combination. Straight legs so you can nudge it up next to the bus, then drive away...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/deta...amp;r=view

manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Some more pics of the latest Spacemaker. It is indeed a monster- not appropriate for on-the-daily-go roadtrips, but for 4 adults heading to the beach for a few days (and hopefully some music festivals in the Spring), we think it will be awesome.

Overall it feels quite stable. The "spare room" is a nice way to add some mild privacy for folks not sleeping in the Bus, and deconstructs quickly to open the area up, say for folks to hang in during rain. Being able to roll up and open all 3 sides of the main structure is great.

The only disappointment is the fitting to the bus- as mentioned, it's open to the ground, and fits poorly around the slider opening... altho, having only set it up 2x, I might figure out a better way next time. Going to play with clothespins and small tarps for the space between the ground and bus/ tent, then sew something...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: