Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vcik wrote:
Such a beautiful car

As are all Ghias.

Thank you. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Vcik wrote:
Such a beautiful car

As are all air cooled vw's
Thank you. Smile

Fixed it for ya! Very Happy

It is a stunner!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30th September and the trees still have all their leaves and hardly a one shows signs of changing colour. Great day for a drive and stopping off for a few pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics.

That water looks fishy!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Great pics.

That water looks fishy!

It is Sean...some of the best trout fishing in the world. It's Hampshire's River Test: http://www.goflyfishinguk.com/fly-fishing-locations/chalk-streams/river-test.php
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always John, your Karmann Ghia photos are second to none - your most recent submissions here are absolutely outstanding!

In fact, in my opinion, the only way that your photos could be any better is ...

... if your Ghia wasn't black.

Is there any chance that you would consider changing the colour to Antelope Brown?

Perhaps we should start a thread asking people's opinion on what colour Ghia they would prefer to see in your photos?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
As always John, your Karmann Ghia photos are second to none - your most recent submissions here are absolutely outstanding!

In fact, in my opinion, the only way that your photos could be any better is ...

... if your Ghia wasn't black.

Is there any chance that you would consider changing the colour to Antelope Brown?

Perhaps we should start a thread asking people's opinion on what colour Ghia they would prefer to see in your photos?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Troll. Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I remember someone arguing in a discussion, "What Colour" that a black body colour hides the beautiful curves of the Karmann Ghia. I thought at the time that was far from the truth...I like to think this picture proves my point.
Not only that but it shows the beauty of a stock ride height...it shows the car as a lithe, sleek Gazelle, almost floating over the road. The lower the car the heavier the visual weight it carries.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I remember someone arguing in a discussion, "What Colour" that a black body colour hides the beautiful curves of the Karmann Ghia. I thought at the time that was far from the truth...I like to think this picture proves my point.
Not only that but it shows the beauty of a stock ride height...it shows the car as a lithe, sleek Gazelle, almost floating over the road. The lower the car the heavier the visual weight it carries.

There's a lot to be said for stock ride height but I wouldn't slam (oops, sorry!) a slight lowering of the front. I also think of my Ghia as a sleek gazelle, and they all run nose down. Come to think of it, so do the feline and canine families.

On the other hand, insects on hot desert sands run with their bodies high off the ground.

In prehistoric art the animals are always depicted as in motion, nose down with resulting sleek lines. No one painted any insects.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

There's a lot to be said for stock ride height but I wouldn't slam (oops, sorry!) a slight lowering of the front.

I'm not against an adjustment of the suspension...it's often necessary but I would always use the side trim or sill as a guide to maintaining the front/rear balance. I think you're right...at the moment the front of your Ghia needs to come up an inch. That press photo of a '68 "akear " posted in your topic was to me so perfect, I couldn't continence anything different.

Last edited by John Moxon on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

That pic is beautiful John, the lighting is doing a wonderful job of picking out the curves!
Regarding the discussion of Chris' Ghia, I think there is some difference between the lowlights and the later models. Yours looks perfect with the wide whitewalls fully visible in the front wheel arch. As you say, it gives an impression of leaping forwards and upwards, an air of lightness.
It's all in the eye of the beholder, but I agree that the pic below gets it right for the stock later model. Although, now I look again, the front could come down a smidge! Confused
All this talk makes me want to sort out my own sagging rear end!...

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Indeed - even more concerning heading into the holidays!

Seriously, I am a proponent of the "stock" ride hide also, and am fairly sure my 69 is un-tampered with from stock, though the previous owner saw some "sag" there he remedied with coil-over adjustable shock- I promptly replaced those with as-original oil-filled ones.

As another black car owner, I also agree it is still a great color for the unique shape of these cars, even though I have often thought it can otherwise disguise a clumsy design for other cars.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Beautiful picture, John!

Awful colour, ...but a beautiful picture none the less.

Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Beautiful picture, John!

Awful colour, ...but a beautiful picture none the less.

Wink

KG you always bring a little ray of sunlight into my life...followed by a heavy rain-shower.

Thanks.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

ccihon wrote:

I can't see it myself Charles...what's the side-on view like?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
ccihon wrote:

I can't see it myself Charles...what's the side-on view like?

Get a room you two!

Oh, and BTW ccihon, from what I can see in this picture ...

... it seems as though your Ghia's rear bumper may be tilted down slightly at the back (or if you prefer, the leading edge of the rear bumper may be tilted up slightly) which ends up giving the illusion that the whole rear of the Ghia's body is sagging.

I bet with a little tweaking your rear end could be as good new.
( Wink )
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I do think the bumper blades that wrap around the sides are a bit askew. I looked through a variety of photos and find I have never taken any squarely from the side - likely as it may exemplify the crusty sills!

I do think the trim is close to level, with possibly a bit of sag toward the rear, and in fact I think the sag on the drivers side is slightly more pronounced. Any adjustments there or in front are low on my list. While I generally like the look of the lowered cars, and the front end as stock appears a bit high to my eye, I also want to avoid any modifications that limit the already modest suspension travel.

It will be interesting to see, as the years go by, if younger owners having never seen or driven these things as new will tend toward customization or prefer, as I do, a stock approach. I recall that as a young man some nearly 40 years ago, I wanted a Ghia - definitely green, and lowered, shod with Porsche 2-liter wheels, and some pumped up fire breather in back. Tastes change!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Ever planned a photograph a couple of months in advance?
I heard a while back there's to be a railway enthusiast's special running from a city 20 miles away and it's coming my way...it's hauled by an iconic 1930s steam engine...running on a track a couple of miles away.

I thought it would be fun to shoot a black & white picture to recreate a '50s scene.

Using Google Earth Streetview I've been trying to identify the ideal location. I've got a few so far but of course I can only be in one place at a time...I have to choose the best one.

Here's a possible I took today. The train is due to run on the afternoon of 21st May.
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Looks like a great location to me. Altho, I don't have any other locations to compare it to.... Very Happy Laughing
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Hard to figure out which is better, your car or your composition.

Great car and pictures John.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 46

Jump to: