Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Well here's my new car Very Happy

Some of you will recognise it from a previous posting when it was offered on The Bay Area Craigslist. It's a one owner car...well two now that I've bought it but let's not nit-pick.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The top picture is how it is now and the bottom, photoshopped with whitewalls and minus the horrible decklid stop light.

The interior has been redone some years ago and it looks pretty good.

I have to say I wouldn't be the owner now if it wasn't for my good friend Dan Mercer who put me onto the car and to Scott Doonan who enthusiastically went at short notice to check the car over for me. BIG props to you both...I love you guys Very Happy Very Happy ...and of course to Dave Ruby for giving his, as usual informative assessment, Rockstock, Wiggy and Rinie for their encouragement. Very Happy

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm never too fond of black, but on this car it looks just right! That's a sweet car! Congrats, and enjoy! Cool

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy oh boy, that Karmann Ghia lowlight is looking really sweet. Your rendition of its furture look is striking the most. And, of course, your lowlight will surely look fantastic with those whiteside walls installed (and of course with the removal of that alien-like third light, ha ha ha- just for laughts).

And, and, the interior is also a sight to behold. The color combination of the interior really matches the black finish outside. Nice find. How I wish I had a lowlight too. But, my '67 KG Cabrio fine with me (as for now), because there are only a few lowlights that reached the shores of the Philippines.

About 20 years ago (I was still in college), I was suppose to buy a lowlight KG. But my offer was too low and I had no money for the counter-offer of the owner. Hence, the deal was a deadlock. It turned out after a couple of years that the lowlight KG got into the hands of a Junk yard wrecker. What a F_ _ K! My heart broke when I returned to that place and asked the owner about his KG. I was ready to buy that lowlight KG - huuhhh! I wanted to kill him that time. For some twist of fate, I did not kill him (ha ha ha). It was a nightmare, indeed, remembering that moment that I almoat had a lowlight. Crying or Very sad
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi john,
congrats for your lowlight. it looks very very nice, i like tha black ghias.
greets, udo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good John! I do like the black too, definitely needs some big whitewalls on there though, you are right! Have fun with it!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking.
--Dan
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Car John. It looks like it has been used and enjoyed, which is really cool. What are your plans for it? I'm sure it involves some form of supercharger Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's the proverbial "one lady owner from new" car. Bought by Betty when planning her vacation to Germany and France in 1957.

She found that the cheapest way to rent a car for her vacation was in fact to order a Karmann Ghia and pick it up in Germany. She tells me, by the time it came to pick up her car for her vacation they'd given her the newer model...the '58 Model.

She had a great vacation in Germany and France and then had the car shipped to California where she drove "my baby" as she calls it for the next 49 years.

It's a good solid, no rust car as you can see from the pictures. It's also something of a responsibility to take on "Betty's Baby" as just the second owner in all that time. I shall be giving the subject quite a bit of thought over the next 4 weeks while it makes its way to me.

Needless to say there will be a few cosmetic renovations but nothing drastic. As for engines and superchargers...I'll be looking at all the options.

Last edited by John Moxon on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KG1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a hell of a lowlight Ghia. Congrats !!

Hope to add one to my collection in the near future.

Saw one in Germany for sale, see this link: http://www.mobile.de/SIDlnjYCTZp4vCDUPTtMAGI1Q-t-v...86740&

Someone in Germany knows this car?
1963 Karmann Ghia Type 34
1968 Karmann Ghia Type 34
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car!! You gotta love a lowlight- Just the way you got it in the photoshopped pic. except.....

...Slam it Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

What a very nice find. I dont think I am alone in being very envious of your purchase. Congrats on a great car. I cant wait to see the follow up pics after it is in your hands. I wish that one of my three Lowlights looked as nice as your 58.

Good luck!!!

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: 58 Reply with quote

my 1st ghia was a 58 coupe and it was black. it was nice but not really beautiful. it needed a paint job. cost me $150. in 1967. black is my favorite color. but i like it better with the wide white walls. it is a pleasing contrast to the rest of the car.
56GoldeGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow John, what a great car!!
It is so rare to own a car with a complete history and how many people can say that they are the second owner! Very Happy

I am sure it will look as sweet as your bug when you get your hands on it!
What a score. I love it.

Isn't this a great forum! It gives you lots of opportunities to get in contact with the right people and to find the things you are looking for.

Enjoy the car, John!

Regards,
Rinie
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Well here's my new car Very Happy

The interior has been redone some years ago and it looks pretty good.

Nice acquisition John, she looks to be in great condition for an old girl. When you have come back to earth, after salivating over her, and have had time to consider all the options. Please keep us in mind to bring the interior, back to the correct factory configuration for you.
Kev.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56GoldeGhia wrote:
Wow John, what a great car!!
It is so rare to own a car with a complete history and how many people can say that they are the second owner! Very Happy

I am sure it will look as sweet as your bug when you get your hands on it!
What a score. I love it.

Isn't this a great forum! It gives you lots of opportunities to get in contact with the right people and to find the things you are looking for.

Enjoy the car, John!

Regards,
Rinie

You're right Rinie about the car with a complete history...it gives me as much a buzz as I would have got from that Golde Ghia...maybe more Wink The Ghia Forum is awesome...I'm totally hooked.

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
Please keep us in mind to bring the interior, back to the correct factory configuration for you.
Kev.

I certainly will Kev. I know your attention to detail is second to none.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
She had a great vacation in Germany and France and then had the car shipped to California where she drove "my baby" as she calls it for the next 49 years.

It's a good solid, no rust car as you can see from the pictures. It's also something of a responsibility to take on "Betty's Baby" as just the second owner in all that time. I shall be giving the subject quite a bit of though over the next 4 weeks while it makes its way to me.

That's unheard of - second owner on that vintage Ghia - Congratulations!

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a happy bunny today. Very Happy The KG was loaded on the Hapag-Lloyd container ship "The Kuala Lumpur Express" at Oakland last night.

It should be well on its way to its next stop at Long Beach. If there's anyone in the area and sees the ship, give it a wave and tell them to hurry up!

Mind you, not all container ships make it to Southampton...this one was 50 miles short.

Trying to put that last image out of my mind Crying or Very sad
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Previous owner Reply with quote

This is a picture of Betty at Marina Green, San Francisco. Betty is the previous owner of my '58. We've spoken quite a few times on the phone since buying her "Baby" and she's a lovely lady.

Betty and her Ghia are well known in the Berkeley area. She is, as you can see is an artist and still teaches Watercolour in Berkeley.

The Ghia was always a signpost to her former pupils she tells me. If they saw the car at some location around The Bay they knew Betty would be nearby painting the scenic view and they would stop off to pass the time of day. Sadly that won't happen now she has a Ford.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool! keep posting any new/old pics up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 46

Jump to: