Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost package/Shipping company discussions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: USPS Reply with quote

USPS does one hell of a job considering the amount of mail that they deal with on a daily basis and at a cost that is a lot less than UPS, FedEx etc.. The only way to track a package using USPS is to send it certified or registered. Delivery confirmation will only let you know that your item was delivered on what ever date. If you want to be safe send your packages Certified and Insured. I know if I was paying $$$ for something I would spend the extra few dollars to cover it. I sent a Priority Mail package to an address that a buyer gave me only to find out through Delivery Confirmation that the buyer gave me an incorrect address. Package was returned to me, address corrected after contacting buyer, and then I resent the package with out having to repay postage. Does UPS and FedEx forward mail for no additional cost? Nope!

I busted my ass for 30 years with USPS, both as a Carrier and as an Electronics Technician and occassionally received a thank you for my efforts. The majority of the people working there do give a shit and try to do the best that they can with what they have to work with. When you are running a machine that processes 40,000 pieces of mail an hour something is bound to happen occassionally and letters and packages do get lost but they usually always turn up too. You probably lose more nuts and bolts in your garage on a weekend than USPS loses in a month.

Theft in the Post Office is not common. We have Postal Inspectors that have more cameras, microphones and spy equipment than you can believe. And do you really think that a USPS employee would rip you off at the risk of loosing their job? Highly unlikely but it has been known to happen.

I retired from USPS 2 years ago and have a great retirement. Health insurance, life insurance, a fat check deposited into my bank account monthly. Life is good!

The next time you need to mail something think about what you can do to make sure that what you are sending will arrive and be accounted for.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
busted my ass for 30 years with USPS, both as a Carrier and as an Electronics Technician and occassionally received a thank you for my efforts.
The next time you need to mail something think about what you can do to make sure that what you are sending will arrive and be accounted for.

Good points. My wife and I leave something for our mail carrier every holiday. He does a great job without a doubt...I think the "Thank Yous" aren't given out enough, when deserved. When's the last time the bagger at the grocery store recieved a Thanks, I appreciate it, etc? Granted it is "their job"..but just those words do go a long way..more so then the fucking t-shirt and drink cozie we received as a "thanks, for all the hard work, and a profitable year...blah, blah, blah" during our company outing... Rolling Eyes
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
You probably lose more nuts and bolts in your garage on a weekend than USPS loses in a month.

Our mail gets delivered the next street over about once a month. Sometimes we get their mail as well. There is no rhyme or reason to it as the address on the mail is perfectly clear. Granted, the street names have three letters in common. Rolling Eyes

It is a small community where we know mostly everybody so we just walk our mail over to the next street neighbors when it happens. We all stopped putting the mail back in the mailbox for the mailman to re-deliver because he sends it back to sender.

My point is that, if error was so sporadic, shouldn't the chance that this happens more than once to the same persons be near nil?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Reply with quote

coW wrote:
Mr. Loaf wrote:
You probably lose more nuts and bolts in your garage on a weekend than USPS loses in a month.

Our mail gets delivered the next street over about once a month. Sometimes we get their mail as well. There is no rhyme or reason to it as the address on the mail is perfectly clear. Granted, the street names have three letters in common. Rolling Eyes

It is a small community where we know mostly everybody so we just walk our mail over to the next street neighbors when it happens. We all stopped putting the mail back in the mailbox for the mailman to re-deliver because he sends it back to sender.

My point is that, if error was so sporadic, shouldn't the chance that this happens more than once to the same persons be near nil?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"You can't tamper with the US Mail!!! Oh great, now I'm going to have to stage some sort of 'Jeep accident'".
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
nathan@el wrote:
Quote:
I've shipped many parts through USPS so far with no problem. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than UPS or FedEx. Do things get lost? I imagine so, given the volume of crap sent through the postal service its inevitable.

I'm not saying that USPS is perfect, but they are far, far better than UPS, FedEx, Airborne/DHL. They are usually the cheapest too. I think we have a very good postal system here. Unfortunately, it is inevitable that a few things are going to get lost, at least for a little while. These things happen. USPS is still the best.

Cheapest for sending a letter; otherwise, FedEx has the best rates on parcels over 5lbs. Barring that, Greyhound Freight is speedy and cheap as well.

With FedEx, I can enter the tracking number online and know exactly where the parcel is, be it a warehouse, sorting center, or the actual truck awaiting delivery. The USPS tracking number only tells you that the item was shipped or delivered.

Icy has nailed it and its true except one thing to remember, always use FedEx Ground and NOT regular FedEx if you are shipping anything out of state or if it weighs more than a couple pounds.

I have shipped over 300 boxes weighing between 5-50 pounds all over the U.S. and have done serious price comparisons and Fed Ex Ground always came out the best in most cases. As for tracking, its much better than USPS because as Icy mentioned, you have a real time transit number that shows when it enters each City or transfer station. You also get free insurance up to $100.

As for safety of packages, just remember that your box WILL be tossed, dropped, and stacked regardless of any carriers or companies. For those of you shipping fragile parts, there is a golden rule when packing. Any box you pack should have a minimum of 4" of padding around each edge with contents secured and wrapped inside. I sometimes double box with extra padding. Hold the packed box above your head and then drop it on a concrete floor. If your contents cannot handle that test, you shouldnt be shipping fragile stuff because thats what happens on a dock. I have seen workers toss boxes from the dock down into sorting bins and a truck with the occasional miss. Imagine your fragile lightly packed box on the bottom with minimal padding and then the worker tosses my big box containing a 15" wide 5 rim on top, crushed or collapsed.

Insurance IS a pain and getting your claim is VERY difficult unless you produce receipts, value report with photo justification of what was inside, etc... Otherwise, how do they know what was inside and when it comes to trying to prove to an inspector that a 1957 guage was busted up, how do you prove its true value, tell him to browse the samba classifieds?

All of the above has happend to me which is why I know about all this un-interesting crap. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that while pricing you should walk in and set the box on the scale at FedEx Ground because you will almost always get a different rate than online and usually better.

Few more tricks... USPS has a weight and box size restriction so dont plan on shipping belly pans or a motor. FedEx Ground will take anything and by the way, its always cheaper to ship to a business address and they usually guarantee delivery in 5 days or less. If you ship to residential, its always much more expensive. Rural routes? You also get hammered so inner city is always cheaper.

Someone mentioned that getting the slip is a hassle to go pick it up, just get a sign or piece of paper on your door authorizing them to leave it. Sign it, date it and show who you are [name and address]. Most drivers dont want to lug that crap back twice.

Hooking up you driver or mail carrier makes all the difference in the world. I have a ton of stairs living on a hillside and if I didnt take care of the drivers and USPS carrier, my stuff would be sitting down on the bottom step near street.

As for the USPS, I lost all faith in them when my "registered mail" containing my passport, drivers license, and birth certificate "disappeared" in transit. I took it as far as I could go and they were NOT helpful in any way. Hello identity theft !!

Next time you ship a package containing an item as heavy as say a steering wheel, go to USPS weigh it and price it, then go to FedEx Ground and do the same. For the record, it has to be an official FedEx office, NOT a staples or FedEx Kinkos type store. That is purley a licensing merger deal with pricing mark ups.

At the end of the day, I give props to all those companies for shipping at the rate they do considering all the labor, overhead and gas prices. Gotta love the fact that we even have this many choices !!
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan@el wrote:
I'm not saying that USPS is perfect, but they are far, far better than UPS, FedEx, Airborne/DHL. They are usually the cheapest too. I think we have a very good postal system here. Unfortunately, it is inevitable that a few things are going to get lost, at least for a little while. These things happen. USPS is still the best.

I worked for a few years for Airborne Express and then DHL when they bought out Airborne about four years ago. Believe me, USPS is better than DHL. I will support our (semi) publicly owned delivery system any day, over FedEx, UPS, DHL or whatever. Even when I WORKED for DHL I would still ship my own packages with USPS! Yes, I'm serious.

Just because USPS is better than DHL doesn't say anything. Anything I've ever had delivered by DHL has been shipped to the nearest DHL terminal and dropped in a mailbox for the USPS to deliver. VERY fucking professional...
At least if you ship USPS, you only having one agency fucking with your package.
If you really want your package to arrive on-time and in reasonably good condition, spend the extra money and go UPS or FedEx. 'Nuff said.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
juki48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At least if you ship USPS, you only having one agency fucking with your package.

not true! I was also told by the USPS customer service person that USPS uses DHL and other companies to ship their packages.
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juki48 wrote:
Quote:

not true! I was also told by the USPS customer service person that USPS uses DHL and other companies to ship their packages.

Just one more reason not to give them your business...

Question: Since DHL is owned by Deutsche Post, an entity of the German Government, if you bought chinese Empi crap and had it shipped DHL, could you call it German?
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Parcels Reply with quote

USPS packages are transported on FedEx jets. Is it coincidence that FedEx and USPS both have their facilities next to each other in Oklahoma City?
djeaudio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had more problems with UPS than any other company. FedEx is great for most of the things I ship, but for large items such as trannies I have used DHL with no problems. I have shipped a 100lb 6 rib tranny from VA to CA for $48 no other company can beat that. I shipped one from VA to OK for $23. DHL rocks. I just got some rear bumper brackets today for my truck and they were shipped through USPS and it was $15 for maybe a 10lb box. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound freight- never had a problem.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:
We have cluster boxes and what irks me is finding one of those "Sorry we missed you" notices in the box, then I have to drive down to the P.O. to get the stupid letter. The mailman can't walk 50 feet to my house and give me my mail.

A few years ago we were doing some legal stuff for my mother-in-laws estate. I would find the Certified letters with the green return receipts still attached on the back of the letter in the box. The first time I signed the receipt and put it back in the box but after that I just threw them away.

Rixie in your first paragraph you say you have cluster boxes, are these for apartments that have clearly marked addresses on each? Is it a cluster of boxes on or at the end of a side street where there could be confusion as to which is yours? Do you know if the regular carrier was running that day(he works 5 days a week) or was his substitute running it(he works 1 day a week)? Do you know if this route even has a regular sustitute?
When I started at the PO I subbed for 4 of 7 rural routes and 1 of 2 city routes because of the lack of subs. But if this letter or package was certified or delivery conformation and whatever carrier was carrying knew which house was you at least one attempt at a signature is required.

The second paragraph seems to confirm why the carrier never makes an attept to deliver anything to your door if you threw away a certified receipt since those have to be accounted for by any carrier and turned back into the clerk daily. Since your carrier did something he wasn't supposed to do in an attempt to keep you from having to run to the PO every time one of them came in you turn around and stab him in the back by not signing and leaving the receipt for him to retrieve the next day.

But also remember DON'T FUCK WITH THE MAILMAN! Going postal wasn't coined because everyone wants to be one.

The cluster boxes are set-up for about 9 homes with our names and addresses posted right inside when you open the back door of the unit. The first time a certified letter with return receipt was left in the box I mentioned to my regular carrier that I had put it back in the box for him, he said that it was a sub and that they are not suppose to leave them in the boxes, that they are responsible for getting a signature. When it happened again a few months later with 2 letters I figured I would let him have to explain why there was no signed return receipt. I truly doubt that the sub was trying to save me a trip to the post office.

As far as knowing which house was mine, I would think he could match- up the address on the letter with the address that's plastered on the curb in 10" numbers in front of my house.
djeaudio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mail man sucks he won't pick up any of my outgoing mail unless I have mail for him to deliver that day. my red flag stays up for 3 days sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathan@el
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just because USPS is better than DHL doesn't say anything. Anything I've ever had delivered by DHL has been shipped to the nearest DHL terminal and dropped in a mailbox for the USPS to deliver. VERY fucking professional...
If you really want your package to arrive on-time and in reasonably good condition, spend the extra money and go UPS or FedEx. 'Nuff said.

Exactly! I was the one bringing all of your "DHL" packages to the post office. I would bring hundreds of these per day. I agree....very professional.

Quote:

This is true, in some cases. But more often it is the other way around. Believe me, I literally did this every day of my life (almost) for quite a while. The first example is more typical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:

The cluster boxes are set-up for about 9 homes with our names and addresses posted right inside when you open the back door of the unit. The first time a certified letter with return receipt was left in the box I mentioned to my regular carrier that I had put it back in the box for him, he said that it was a sub and that they are not suppose to leave them in the boxes, that they are responsible for getting a signature. When it happened again a few months later with 2 letters I figured I would let him have to explain why there was no signed return receipt. I truly doubt that the sub was trying to save me a trip to the post office.

As far as knowing which house was mine, I would think he could match- up the address on the letter with the address that's plastered on the curb in 10" numbers in front of my house.

First off you did the right thing by mentioning it to the regular carrier but unless you are a homebound invalid that is there 24/7/365 you don't know that he didn't try to deliver it and left it so that you didn't have to make the trip. You also don't know that he didn't try to deliver the next 2 and also left them to keep you from making the trip to the PO. But either way the carrier saved you the time, gas, and hassle of having to go to the PO to pick them up. So in your infinite wisdom and gratitude you decided that you were going to teach this sub a lesson about his job, which you know nothing about, and in turn try to get him/her into trouble in the process.

So Rixie just what got you so mad that you tried to get the sub in trouble? That you THINK they didn't try and hunt you down or that you didn't get the letter until you went to the mailbox. Either way I hope the carrier put you atop his A list(ASSHOLES) of customers. Every carrier has them, they get the bare minimum of service possible and never get anything more. The next time you think you've been slighted by the carrier call and talk to them about it because it'll probably get resolved right away and not put you on the A list.
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djeaudio wrote:
my mail man sucks he won't pick up any of my outgoing mail unless I have mail for him to deliver that day. my red flag stays up for 3 days sometimes.

dj are you on a city walking route or on a rural route? A city carrier doesn't have to cross the street to pick up outgoing mail if he doesn't have a delivery for that box. On a rural route alot of it has to do with the road and location. If it is with other boxes and no box is recieving mail then they aren't required to stop. Also if it is isolated where a carrier is up to speed 45+ and there are no stops near it before or after it then they don't have to stop. The only other factor is safety.

Most postmasters can alter the regs of the po as they see fit, and trust me they do, to make it more efficient. The PO is mostly concerned with the speedy delivery of the mail and not the pickup of it. Most every complaint is about not getting their checks and packages fast enough hardly ever does anyone complain about how slowly theirs was picked up.
ALTHOUGH I find it hard to believe that there was no advert flyer for your area for a 3 straight day period, there never was in my 6 year career. Adverts are to be delivered to every box with or without additional mail, period.

If you are concerned still call the PO about 7:30-8:00 one weekday morning and ask to speak to your carrier.
djeaudio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth thanks for the info. I found out the same thing when I called to report him. My mailman is scarred of my dog even though I moved my mailbox from my front porch to the curb and completely fenced in my front yard. He once told me that he wouldn't deliver my mail if my dog wasn't chained up. he is just a little bitch. the subs that deliver my mail are cool and pet my dog through the fence she is not intimidating at all. It is frustrating that this fucker gets paid to do something and does it half ass.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Parcels Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
USPS packages are transported on FedEx jets. Is it coincidence that FedEx and USPS both have their facilities next to each other in Oklahoma City?

Not really. It makes better business sense to have a shipping/receiving hub right next to the nearest air terminal. You'll also notice most warehouse distribution centers and sorting facilities are usually grouped together in the same area of cities as well. It's called zoning ordinances.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowbeard wrote:
nathan@el wrote:

I worked for a few years for Airborne Express and then DHL when they bought out Airborne about four years ago. Believe me, USPS is better than DHL. I will support our (semi) publicly owned delivery system any day, over FedEx, UPS, DHL or whatever. Even when I WORKED for DHL I would still ship my own packages with USPS! Yes, I'm serious.

Having worked for DHL Worldwide Express for 10 years... in the late 1990/2000's... I would say this... use ANYTHING but DHL.... if you knew just how messed up they are as a company, you would cringe as you handed them the package... listen.. find a carrier pigeon.. strap it to the back of a migrating hobo.... give it to a junkie and tell him its filled with heroin.. it has a better chance of getting there.

I ship UPS Ground or the USPS... and both Rock..... FedEx Ground is good too.. OK.. if your shipping a part to Ulaan Bator Mongolia... give it to DHL... but there aint no dubs in Ulaan Bator!

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this, but I recieved this tracking number, and cannot figure out which company it is. I have tried DHL, USPS, UPS, and FEDEX. I have also tried taking the RR off, and several other things.. any ideas

rr 58688124 6 AR

THe reason I am asking is becuase I got two slips in the mail saying my package arrived. When I went to the office there was only one package there, and one was left at my door. It does not make sense to leave a package at my door and the slip at the office.. I am waiting for an additional package and am wondering if the office lost it???
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: