Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qkmini wrote:
So this is a little off topic but I was wondering if it was possible to just replace the cable on my original gauge (66 type 1 vert) The ball came off the end of the cable

The big problem with changing the cable is that the sleeve is quite well crimped into the gauge head's housing. If you chopped it up enough to remove the old cable, you'd not have anything left to re-attach a different cable to. Also, while you can take the gauge apart, and even if if the cable detached simply from the gauge housing, putting it back together can be quite difficult. It is very simple inside, I have photos, (but not with me where I'm at today) the problem is getting the return spring to stay in place while you try to finagle the faceplate on and not have the cable end fall out (it's a ball/socket inside the gauge as well) and also not break the needle off, all at the same time. I think when these were asssembled at the factory, the spring went in before they put the faceplace on and then the needle assembly was pressed together last.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old gauge in the garage,so I decided to take it apart to see what made it "tick"- took me like 3 seconds to bust the needle off-
Small,fragile things and me have never gotten along very well...
Fortunately,the gauge in my bug is working well,and I finally got it adjusted to the"close enough" point
MRo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Wolfsburg West? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

After reading through this entire thread, no one has spoken about the quality and reliability of the sending unit that Wolfsburg West makes and sells. Here is the link:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113919049C

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this unit, but would like feedback from anyone who has experience with replacing/repairing their OEM one with this one.

Thanks in advance for all/ any advice.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first photo in this thread was the tank unit that WW used to sell under that part number. For years after it went NLA it was still listed but not in stock. I didn't know they'd redone that link with a new part and item. Otherwise I probably would have tried it by now.

You forgot to include the new photo:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113919049C
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On another note, I spotted this one from ISPWest - looks like another incarnation of the INSTRON (brazil) unit also mentioned early on in this thread. After the issues I had with that one I think I'll pass on this one.

http://www.vwispwest.com/113919049C.html

However I think I'll probably try at WW one at some point.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The very first photo in this thread was the tank unit that WW used to sell under that part number.
-Andy

Yes, forgive me for that oversight Embarassed ...But it definitely is different than the one they reproduce now. I have searched for some feedback about the new sending unit that WW offers. Here is a link:

http://1967beetle.com/fuel-tank-sending-units/

I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy it. After I install it, I will report back my findings. But I am still hoping someone out there has already tried this newer one for a while and can attest to it's durability and accuracy over the long run.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qkmini wrote:
So this is a little off topic but I was wondering if it was possible to just replace the cable on my original gauge (66 type 1 vert) The ball came off the end of the cable

I'm a little late for a response here but this info is good for others as well. If the ball came off your cable it will usually be sitting on top of the sending unit. This happened to my '65. I was able to successfully solder it back onto the cable and its been fine ever since.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRo wrote:
glutamodo wrote:
The very first photo in this thread was the tank unit that WW used to sell under that part number.
-Andy

Yes, forgive me for that oversight Embarassed ...But it definitely is different than the one they reproduce now..

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said it "went NLA" - No Longer Available in other words. That was a VDO-Mexico unit. This one looks like other bootless tank units - the Magura style, which I prefer anyway.

A couple of times a year I go in and find the What's New link on WW's site - they seem to not update it much. I know this item was not in there - I'd have known about it if they had put it in there. I guess you need to get their newsletter to find out about new items. Confused

Next order I put in with them I'll get one too. Just need to sit down and see what kind of stuff I need right now.

-Andy
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought, has anybody used the mechanical gauge and try to convert it into an electrical 12v gauge that uses the late 12v sender?

i know they make early ones in 6v
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
just a thought, has anybody used the mechanical gauge and try to convert it into an electrical 12v gauge that uses the late 12v sender?

i know they make early ones in 6v

Well, the mechanical gauge's housing is too small to really hold the guts of an electical gauge. I did talk early in this thread about taking a 12V Ghia/type 3 style balance coil style gauge (and tube sender) and putting its innards into an old accessory 6V Bug electical gauge housing. Then later I discussed using a modern VDO gauge that goes along with the stock late-Bug (thermal type) tank unit - with thoughts of putting those into that old accessory gauge, but the needle movement range was entirely wrong to match the faceplate.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some strange reason the 61-67 Aussie Beetles had electric fuel gauges.
They look exactly the same as the 61-67 overseas ones except it says Australia under VDO and the bezel is obviously mirrored being RHD.

You may be able to fit the bezel trim from a LHD one if you were lucky enough to find one, they come up on Oz ebay from time to time.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
For some strange reason the 61-67 Aussie Beetles had electric fuel gauges.
They look exactly the same as the 61-67 overseas ones except it says Australia under VDO and the bezel is obviously mirrored being RHD.

You may be able to fit the bezel trim from a LHD one if you were lucky enough to find one, they come up on Oz ebay from time to time.

I'm pretty sure the chrome surround isnt left or right hand specific, its just put on the gauge with the longer piece of trim pointed to the left or right.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen one of those Aussie guages before to know how they compare in constuction. IThe one LHD electric gauge I do have, aformentioned in this thread, the ones with the large "ears" on each side that required me to cut the dash and faceplate to fit my 62, I just took that apart to see if I remember correctly... I did. The "bezel" is actually part of the entire housing. The plastic lens, faceplate and electrical guts all fit into it from the "back" (front of car side) I suppose you could "flip" it around to the other side but if you did, the trim-line wouldn't match up.

I don't know if Joel knows of any detail photos of an Aussie gauge - and knows as to what type of gauge - balance coil I'm guessing - and if it goes with the Ghia style tank tubular tank units or something unique to the Austrailian market?

my VDO-Germany LHD accessory gauge:

The problem with flipping it, is that it isn't symmetrical, (and neither are the mechanical gauge bezels), so if you flipped it, it won't line up with the other trim.

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they don't have those wings on the sides, just square like normal.

I was wrong though, it's only the speedos that say VDO Australia and they work on the same resistance as the 68 on fuel gauges if that means anything,

I'll try and dig up some pics but I fitted a 62 tank to my 70 bug with the fuel door shaved and the stock sender worked fine with the 70 fuel gauge.

typical, none on ebay at the moment when I need pics, but here;s another

tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the rhd gauges look like from behind

I have several RHD gauges, but I'm waiting on rebuilding them because most of the gauges are missing the RHD gauge panel. It is possible to remove the bezel from a stock VDO LHD mechanical fuel gauge and transfer it to the RHD electric fuel gauge, but the bezel from a Magura gauge doesn't interchange. The bezel on a stock VDO LHD gauge is soft aluminum that usually gets trashed through normal wear and tear, while the bezel on the RHD gauges is brass and holds up much better over time. The LHD mechanical gauges are significantly more cheaply built, so it's not surprising that it's so hard to get them to work properly, but in a factory environment I'm sure it isn't an issue.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
madmack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I receive my EIS sender today and found that mine had problems. The holes in the new gasket were off just a nuff where i could not use it so used my old one as it was still in good shape. Then it fell apart while installing it.I tightened it in a star routinee and did NOT put a lot of torque on it,I put my old one back on in the same manner and it DID NOT CRACK!!! Mad

SgtSamy wrote:
Drive slow and enjoy the ride, what is the hurry, we all reach the same destination at the end. Laughing

Volkswagens are not just a vehicle to drive. Its hobby to love and invest time into.

A work of art has no importance whatever to society. It is only important to the individual.

Vladimir Nabokov
McGuirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of the Wolfsburg West sending units about a month ago to replace my torn & rusty VDO. The WW one is a Magura style sender. So far no leaks, but there is a faint gas smell. WW says this is normal. I can see (theoretically) how the O-ring style would be less airtight than the ones with a rubber boot, anyone know if this was true with the originals? My original VDO was worse, but it had a large rip in the boot.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have them put the "gas smell is normal" in writing so your heirs can sue them for neglegence. Wink Gas leaks are NOT to be tolerated!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one of those myself and it came in today. Won't have time to install it for a few days though.

The Magura style should not leak. At least, as long as the internal O-ring is in good shape (the old ones I mentioned earlier in this thread where I put in a new PTFE O-ring never leaked on me - and that 1969 Magura NOS unit never did either - can't change the O-ring on that one because by 69 they had dropped the set-screw)

That installed photo above, you need to take another such photo with a full gas tank after it has sat a while.
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glutamodo, have you tested it ?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I found that it binds up at the lower end. I need to take it apart and find where it's binding and correct for wherever it's rubbing.

EDIT - I took the arm off of it and polished it with a rotary stone on my drill - and where ever it was binding, that took care of it. Now I just have to put it in the car and drive it some...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: