Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Hippensteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: International Shipping Reply with quote

I just looked into shipping something from US to Austrailia. $335 Fedex. Found a company called Shipnex.com online that says they will ship same package for $150. I have never heard of them. Anybody know anything about them. Thanks
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for Fedex, we are pretty expensive going overseas, but our guarantee on packages makes up for that. I shipped myself some pistons and cylinders when I was in denver, I packed them super good but a couple fins were broken off when i received them. I filed a claim with a few pics and within a week I had a check for the exact amount I requested plus my shipping cost. I was very impressed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LittleMicroCars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: SHIPPING TRICKS.. Reply with quote

Here is a good tip for shipping anything in the usa.. i advertise with uship.com.. you get the attention of a trucker that is registered with uship and near the area where the part is.. they will bid for the job or you can list the price you are willing to pay...i bought a roll bar cage in new york and had it shipped to san diego for cheap.. a freight broker saw the add and had huge discounts with freight companys because he moved tons of freight .had it picked up and delviered to my front door.. several weeks ago i shipped a fiat 500 from san diego in the back of a pick up bed to st louis mo for 400 dollars.. and a 240 z to my sister in battle grounds wa.. the trucker lived about 5 miles from my sisters house.. 290.00 about a month ago on a tandom trailer... with uship you can check out their ratings and grade them on delivery...leo
Saint76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had any problems shipping to Indonesia??

I've had a couple of problems going to Thailand with items that never arrive,and paypal chargebacks..

Just don't want it to happen again..Any companies better than others?
thanks for the help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any issues using USPS to Thailand. I've primarily shipped only small parcels, usually flat (literature).
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saint76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had very good luck with Thailand, so I no longer ship there..
USPS doesn't offer any real tracking that paypal will accept overseas..

Wondering if anyone has used fedex to Indonesia..
More costly I know. But trying to figure a way to cover myself from bullcrap paypal chargebacks..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the USPS Priority Mail shipping rates went up as of Jan. 1, 2011, including the price of flat rate boxes.

So if you are randomly throwing out shipping prices to buyers based on 2010 sales, you might want to double-check the calculator at http://www.usps.com first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postal rates are now slated to increase April 17, 2011.

New Prices For Mailing Services April 17, 2011
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year or so ago, I sold a NOS Rabbit bumper to a person in Japan.
Being that it was 52" long, I did not think it would go USPS, so quoted the buyer UPS shipping. $230. The buyer agreed to the shipping charges, and paid me.
I had it packaged and ready to go, but stopped at my local small town post office to mail some other stuff. I mentioned that I had to go to the UPS shipper and drop off a bumper to Japan.
She looked it up, and said that the 52" was not a problem, and calculated the postage for it. $93. Needless to say, I shipped it through USPS, and when I got home, I notified the buyer that it was going through the mail, and gave him a refund on the shipping.
4 days later, he notified me, that he had the bumper.
Now that is good service from the post office.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SHIPPING TRICKS.. Reply with quote

LittleMicroCars wrote:
Here is a good tip for shipping anything in the usa.. i advertise with uship.com.. you get the attention of a trucker that is registered with uship and near the area where the part is.. they will bid for the job or you can list the price you are willing to pay...i bought a roll bar cage in new york and had it shipped to san diego for cheap.. a freight broker saw the add and had huge discounts with freight companys because he moved tons of freight .had it picked up and delviered to my front door.. several weeks ago i shipped a fiat 500 from san diego in the back of a pick up bed to st louis mo for 400 dollars.. and a 240 z to my sister in battle grounds wa.. the trucker lived about 5 miles from my sisters house.. 290.00 about a month ago on a tandom trailer... with uship you can check out their ratings and grade them on delivery...leo

Second the Uship. 3/4 Bus rack from Indy to DC for $150 in just a couple days. Like you said, they bid and you can rate them afterward.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for fenders for my bug to come via greyhound from the east coast..Almost two weeks now and nothing ugh Mad
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Kabrio7 wrote:
I'm waiting for fenders for my bug to come via greyhound from the east coast..Almost two weeks now and nothing ugh Mad

greyhound usually only takes a day or two, however long it takes to drive straight thru. i have shipped things and its like the next day.hmmm Confused

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superman73 wrote:
6Kabrio7 wrote:

greyhound usually only takes a day or two, however long it takes to drive straight thru. i have shipped things and its like the next day.hmmm Confused

Yep. Either the shipper didn't ship them yet or didn't properly wrap and label the fenders and they got lost in shipping. I've shipped a lot of parts via Greyhound and never a problem -- but then, I understand how to securely wrap and label parcels to withstand the rigors of shipping.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great..I'll let you guys know what happens. Rolling Eyes
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not true about Greyhound. They send large items as they have space. It is possible to take a few weeks, especially when there may be bad weather between the coasts.

Just be patient, Greyhound is used because it is cheap, not because they are the best...
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
This is not true about Greyhound. They send large items as they have space. It is possible to take a few weeks, especially when there may be bad weather between the coasts.

Just be patient, Greyhound is used because it is cheap, not because they are the best...
Thanks man.
tommy.d.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: shipping car to england Reply with quote

does anyone know how much to ship a ghia from oregon usa to felixstow england or who to get in touch with and how long would it take to get here
cheers. Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple threads in the International Forum
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

Please use that area, not this thread
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip. if you work for a company that regularly ships freight. Go to one of those freight companies. I was first quoted over $200.00 to ship a dresser from my mom's house to mine. I told the truck line we use them at work. Suddenly the price was $63.00.

Geoff
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothetical question for all you who ship.
I live in a town that does not have Greyhound service, so I normally use USPS, UPS, or Fedex, always looking for the best price.
Lately, I have had the problem of giving a rough estimate for shipping, and then when I go to box it up and get a quote, the shipping cost is always higher. I am speaking of unusual, oversized sized items, where I have had to make boxes or track down oversized boxes.

Buyers seem to want to pay before I have an exact quote, which I will not do for obvious reasons. Lately, I have buyers back out once they get the exact quote. I don't charge for my time to box parts up, nor for the time spent tracking down boxes, etc. and it is becoming a problem when all the work is done and then the sale falls thru due to shipping.

Any advice on you handle this?

I have thought of asking for a non refundable $25 deposit, which would be included in the total once the sale is completed. Thought behind this is, it makes the seller responsible for their request. Thoughts on this idea? I am tired of boxing items up and then have the deal fall through, due to costs beyond my control.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: