Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

backup lights on a pre'67 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: backup lights on a pre'67 bug Reply with quote

hey guys..... had another brilliant idea and thought I'd share it with everyone in case others want to do something similar.
So, I wanted to put backup lights on my car, but since i have the original transmission/nosecone in my '66, there's no switch for them. And me being the dirt poor person I am, i wasn't about to fork over $100 or so for one of those speedometer cable reverse light switches, or one of these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

however, i was intrigued by this second style of switch, and thought the design looked simple enough, so i thought why not make my own version?
So that's what I did. I just laid a microswitch(momentary switch with a little arm to push) on the tunnel, under the access plate under the backseat, positioned so that when, and only when, the shifter is moved into reverse, the coupler hits and holds down the switch, turning on the reverse lights.
I ran power from the ignition coil to the switch, and then back out to the lights (wires running through with the battery cable). I also had to make my own set of brackets for the lights so because the set I got was missing both the brackets.
All in all, the total cost of this setup? $15 ($15 for the set of reverse lights from a friend, switch given to me by BanzaiKG, and all other materials i already had).
sorry this post is so long...see pics below for details....

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xatex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a better design than the reverse speedo cable anyways. if you're sitting in a parking lot in reverse, not going anywhere, the reverse lights will come on with the setup you have.
60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, you just should get the '67, already has the backup lights and is 12 VOLTS!
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, get the 67 already. i mean you can put the 66 fenders on it if you want. Very Happy

good job being creative man, i wanna check it out at bltn.
VolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that setup, its something I have been considering doing to my bug too (also a 66). One of these days when the major things like the engine work is out of the way I will have to rig a similar one up. Thanks for the pictures.

New 1966 Cosmic Green VW Bug Restoration and Customization site ---> http://66bug.com
or
http://www.DamianKolbay.com <------- Take a look at my Photography Site
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Really nice, 4 more micro switches and 5 indicator lights for the dash and you can have gear indicator. Don't tell me you are not even slightly intrigued by the idea Cool

Anton
zao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool idea! You wouldn't happen to have a part number/brand for the switch by any chance, would you?
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get the switch to stay in place? I would like to do that to my 62. Good job and great idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good electronics store will have momentary switches. They are used frequently in security systems. They range from cheap plastic ones with reed switches to metal encased ones with the plunger (similar to the one in the diagram). They can be glued down or screwed down depending on the type you purchase.
Good idea Tim. How did you mount your switch? It looks temporary in the photo.

There are some good photos of different ones in this link.
http://pollak.thomasnet.com/category/switches-momentary-switches
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Shack carries a similar switch.

SPDT Switch Without Roller
Model: 275-016 | Catalog #: 275-016

They also have one with a roller if you think it might help.

New 1966 Cosmic Green VW Bug Restoration and Customization site ---> http://66bug.com
or
http://www.DamianKolbay.com <------- Take a look at my Photography Site
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, with that micro-switch, I think I might have used it to trigger a relay to turn the lights on instead of having the current running through it. But that's my electronics background talking. Did you use an inline fuse like the factory did off of terminal 15 at the coil?

On my 62, I only went with one backup light (the left one) becuase that's all you got when you ordered them as an option back then. I put mine on because I broke a nosecone and the replacement I put on there had the switch in it, so I thought I'd use it. I've made sure I've always had nosecones with backup switches on there ever since.
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ckisela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arcade machines use an array of different switches similar in style but with variances in the switch style.
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glutamodo - well, the lights arent actually wired up to work properly yet, and it did occur to me that a relay would probably be a good idea, although a lot of current flowing through the switch when the lights are on doesnt really seem like it would be a problem, because remember they only go on when im in reverse, which isnt all that much....of course i will definitely be hooking up an inline fuse...(terminal 15 coil->fuse->switch)
anybody know what size(amperage) fuse to use?

the switch is stuck there with double sticky "Super tape" (i think thats what its called), but since i took that pic i noticed that the switch moved a little bit from throwing it into reverse too hard, so i reinforced it in place with duct tape... Wink (hey it works, and you cant see it!)....the switch does have 2 holes for which could be used to mount it with screw i suppose.

note regarding the microswitch Volbug posted, although im sure that could be made to work, i would recommend one with a longer arm/trigger, so that the switch itself can be mounted securely on the tunnel, and then the arm sticks out....whereas with the one pictured, the arm is too short, so you would have to somehow suspend the switch over the opening in the tunnel...much more work than necessary.

60's Burnout wrote:
Tim, you just should get the '67, already has the backup lights and is 12 VOLTS!

naww......ill stick with '66...mines 12 volt and already has reverse lights on it Wink ...so what would i want a '67 for?

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimD_66 wrote:
Glutamodo - well, the lights arent actually wired up to work properly yet, and it did occur to me that a relay would probably be a good idea, although a lot of current flowing through the switch when the lights are on doesnt really seem like it would be a problem, because remember they only go on when im in reverse, which isnt all that much....of course i will definitely be hooking up an inline fuse...(terminal 15 coil->fuse->switch)

the switch is stuck there with double sticky "Super tape" (i think thats what its called), but since i took that pic i noticed that the switch moved a little bit from throwing it into reverse too hard, so i reinforced it in place with duct tape... Wink (hey it works, and you cant see it!)....the switch does have 2 holes for which could be used to mount it with screw i suppose.

note regarding the microswitch Volbug posted, although im sure that could be made to work, i would recommend one with a longer arm/trigger, so that the switch itself can be mounted securely on the tunnel, and then the arm sticks out....whereas with the one pictured, the arm is too short, so you would have to somehow suspend the switch over the opening in the tunnel...much more work than necessary.

60's Burnout wrote:

naww......ill stick with '66...mines 12 volt and already has reverse lights on it Wink ...so what would i want a '67 for?

oh i dont know, maybe bigger engine, better geared tranny, sealed beam lights, 2 speed wipers, dual circut MC, oh and all the fun to find 67 only bits. Very Happy
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
TimD_66 wrote:

60's Burnout wrote:

oh i dont know, maybe bigger engine, better geared tranny, sealed beam lights, 2 speed wipers, dual circut MC, oh and all the fun to find 67 only bits. Very Happy

already have a '67 1500 engine, im pretty sure i already have sealed beam headlights (but i dont see how they're any better anyway???), better tranny? well i have a 6volt tranny for better starts! (12 volts on 6volt starter)Wink , i could make my wipers 2 speed if i wanted (i could hook a relay up so they get 6 volts via my voltage drop or 12 volts straight for double speed)...and i dont want the bother of so many one year only parts.....
come on jason, you're failing at trying to convert me.... Wink Razz

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimD_66 wrote:

the switch is stuck there with double sticky "Super tape" (i think thats what its called), but since i took that pic i noticed that the switch moved a little bit from throwing it into reverse too hard, so i reinforced it in place with duct tape... Wink (hey it works, and you cant see it!)....

I think I'd find a way to bolt it or secure it more permanently to the tunnel instead of using tape.... From experience: tape slips too easily when it gets hot, and car interiors get pretty darn hot sometimes! Maybe try like JBWeld or something?

The fuse, I use a normal ceramic 8amp fuse for the backup light on my 62. I rigged a mount for a factory style fuseholder by my generator:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CNsylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: backup lights on a pre'67 bug Reply with quote

Great idea, but originally, how did VW intend the driver to activate the back up lights?

Here's a book showing the option (RHS only).

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: backup lights on a pre'67 bug Reply with quote

Well, as alluded to above, either using a speedometer cable switch or one on the shift rod... you can read VW's Technical Bulletins regarding those here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e3.php

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
CNsylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: backup lights on a pre'67 bug Reply with quote

thanks so much, didn't see these manuals. Makes sense now. Ken
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: