Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

You mean the spark plug tool?
Yes exactely, the older one says DRGM and the later one DBGM.
Also no GERMANY after the 764 on the older one but on the later one it says Hazet 764 Germany.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
You mean the spark plug tool?
Yes exactely, the older one says DRGM and the later one DBGM.
Also no GERMANY after the 764 on the older one but on the later one it says Hazet 764 Germany.

Thanks Carsten. Surviving tools seem to support the fact that DBGM came out about late 1952 or for 1953 along with other changes like small stubby screwdriver, revised "open" back pressing and the "Hazet 1850-6" marked pliers and of course new 813-3 medium screwdriver. Some claim the "Germany" stamping came early/mid 1954 and shorter handle in the end of 1954.

Are you sure your kit is from 1953 and not 1954. If so, "Germany" stamping would be a way to date the tool?
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

mikeandkirsti wrote:

Are you sure your kit is from 1953 and not 1954. If so, "Germany" stamping would be a way to date the tool?

Wheren´t the 54 boxes already done with the electrostatic sprayed blue velvet inside all over the back?
Mine has still the sheet of felt behind the tools. So I thought it is 53 or late 52.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
mikeandkirsti wrote:

Wheren´t the 54 boxes already done with the electrostatic sprayed blue velvet inside all over the back?
Mine has still the sheet of felt behind the tools. So I thought it is 53 or late 52.

The 1954 Hazet catalog still says "filtzunterlegt" and my understanding is that the sprayed flocking did not come until (late) 1955. With "Germany" stamped on the 764 tool the kit could be 1954 and most probably is?

Incidentally, the 1952 catalog already lists the 764 as "DBGM" which would support theory above that DBGM came in 1952, probably mixed in production with the earlier DRGM? See catalog listing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Surprisingly 764 is listed as DBGM in the 1951 catalog too while tool 765 is marked DRGM and 764 is not in the 1950 catalog at all.

Looking at the FRK kit, the 764 is marked DBGM, is this the original tool from that kit or a replacement? If it is original to the kit the theory of mixed DBGM/DRGM is possible.
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

mikeandkirsti wrote:
FRK wrote:
Got better pictures of my two 16" tool kits.

This one doesn't have the correct lug wrench.

These are very nice and rare kits, interesting that some kits have chromium plated early 1850-6 pliers like the kit above. The rest of the tools are nickel plated and have rusted, chrome has lasted better. Same thing with usariemen/Carsten kit, 1850-6 pliers are chromed though chrome is flaking on the head. Most often the pliers are nickel plated however.

According to Hazet catalog 1952 the tools were delivered flat (matt) nickel plated for Hazet Tourist kits although chromed tools with polished heads were also available, probably for a higher price. Maybe both pliers were used and were mixed in production?

The correct 1850-6 for these kits have no part number and just say "Hazet" on the hinge like usariemen/Carsten kit. I think the cleaner FRK kit has the correct pliers and the kit with more patina has the later style that say "Hazet 1850-6" and "Germany" on the OUTSIDE of the handles and came out in about 1953 for the Oval kits? Then in 1955 the style changed again and pliers have part number and brand name on the INSIDE of the handles and a more robust texture on the outside on the handles. By 1958 very shiny chrome plating came out but pliers remained the same until 1965.

Original 16" kits have quite a few differences and were probably not as uniform as the later Tourist kits.

When I found my 16" kit from the above picture it was missing the lug wrench and when I found the one on the bottom picture it was missing the pliers and the three small wrenches. I looking for the correct tools for the kits but meanwhile I place those tools so the kits are complete. Ehen I find the correct tools I'll replace them. Cool
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

It is difficult to date tools and kits unless the kit is untouched or history known. Even so, kits are not dated, catalog information is not always up to date and the early kits are not uniform. Most likely your 764 in the cleaner kit is newer as well as the handle bar is not the 130 mm one like earlier ones. Also, the kits should have 600-14, 600-10 and 450-7X9 wrenches (see catalog page above). Still, very nice kits and good luck finding the missing tools, keep looking, they are out there.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

You guys should have started a topic about tool boxes.

If your POS repro part doesn't sell, Raise the price!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1759041
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Ad says $3500! (maybe a typo)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1902936
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1903157
Why not Mika's perfect reproduction for 1/2 price?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1224052
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1903157
Why not Mika's perfect reproduction for 1/2 price?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1224052

Looking over his ads, I'm convinced that guy doesn't want to sell anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Ad says $3500! (maybe a typo)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1902936

Got to love that after wanting you to pay $3500 he still wants you to pay $50 for shipping, LOL.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

if you're looking at a pair of lenses for your restoration, don't you think you'd want a matched set? (other than they're just bosch)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1904455
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
if you're looking at a pair of lenses for your restoration, don't you think you'd want a matched set? (other than they're just bosch)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1904455

And isn´t one LHD and one RHD ?
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1905008

Isn't the coil attached to the shroud?.....buyer beware

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1905008

Isn't the coil attached to the shroud?.....buyer beware

I like: " ... it does rotate, but it´s stiff ..."
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Too much details and even a wrong engine... for that price!

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=...geNumber=1
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

1953 zwitter original front seat padding Price: 250
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1912134

Not sure of value or if I would even reuse something like this but... Shocked
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Huh? Am I missing something?

Wrong motor, rear fenders, etc. for this much $ ?

It's a very nice car, don't get me wrong, but priced double from what it should be. No?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1914746

R
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

For that price I would expect a numbers-matching correct engine, original fenders, original transmission, original bumpers, etc. Even then I think the price would be unrealistically high.

I see a lot of splits offered for sale at high prices, but I don't see them actually selling.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

^^^ But it was meticulously stored! Come on you guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Page 124 of 157

Jump to: