Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 198, 199, 200 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Bruit wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Thirty five years ago I went to work for a company that kept 4-5 different motor oils on hand for use in their various pieces of equipment, nice and old school. It was a real pain having to repeatedly tell people which oil they were supposed to be using in any given engine and very often the wrong oil would still be used. I decided to just move everything over to an all fleet oil and you would have thought I had suggested we euthanize everyone's parents from the reaction I got. The equipment operators revolted (which included having my car vandalized) and the management called meeting after meeting bringing in reps from engine and oil companies to give expert opinion, while the engines big and small ran and never once gave problems. Within a couple of months the issue was forgotten and never came up again.

The most important thing about oil then and how is that you have sufficient oil in the crankcase.

Out of curiosity: how many vehicles in the fleet? Did this include passenger vehicles?

Somewhere around 50 vehicle and stationary engines. There were pickup trucks but no passenger vehicles.

That sounds like a pretty good sample size in favor of multifleet/all-fleet/dual-grade diesel/gas engine oil or whatever else it gets called.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Up until 2-3 years ago Diesel oils were OK to use in gasoline engines, but today things have changed. IT DOES NOT matter what you did 25 years ago, you must look at today and today you should no longer use Diesel oils in gasoline engines. It's your engine do whatever you want with it. I can absolutely guarantee you will get to keep all the broken pieces.

Lets see some proof that an oil that is rated for gasoline engines will harm a gasoline engine just because it also carries a Diesel engine rating. We are waiting.

I refuse to get into a Bitch fight with you over this. Several others have posted the proof but you refuse to accept it.

I suggest Valvoline VR-1 racing oil or Brad Penn racing oil, and change it every 3000 miles. The VR-1 is much easier for me to get locally so that is all I use.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Up until 2-3 years ago Diesel oils were OK to use in gasoline engines, but today things have changed. IT DOES NOT matter what you did 25 years ago, you must look at today and today you should no longer use Diesel oils in gasoline engines. It's your engine do whatever you want with it. I can absolutely guarantee you will get to keep all the broken pieces.

Lets see some proof that an oil that is rated for gasoline engines will harm a gasoline engine just because it also carries a Diesel engine rating. We are waiting.

I refuse to get into a Bitch fight with you over this. Several others have posted the proof but you refuse to accept it.

I suggest Valvoline VR-1 racing oil or Brad Penn racing oil, and change it every 3000 miles. The VR-1 is much easier for me to get locally so that is all I use.

I have yet to see any proof that confirms diesel oils are harmful to gas engines not in pictures, links, or real life. Did you have a negative experience with Rotella?

this guy had a negative experience with VR-1
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219319
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

On the second page of the link I posted above
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and one for Delo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Went to buy some VR-1 at napa (only supplier within 100 miles that i've found) and all of the spots on the shelf are empty! clerk says "california" had them pull it, and he isn't sure when they can get more unless they reformulate it. i'm confused, i thought the silver-bottle stuff was a detergent oil, and safe? a quick search will unsettle your stomach something fierce:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3222905

California, in it's never ending No Fun Allowed initiative, is slowly becoming even more unbearable. until my girl gets full custody of her daughter we are stuck in this hell-hole.

In the mean time, i have three bottles of 10/30 VR-1 left. for this oil change i used half a bottle of Lucas ZDDP break-in additive and some 10/30 mobil1. I have a full flow system with an external filter, but no add-on sump, so it takes just a little under 3 quarts total, not counting the additive.

What the hell should i do in the meantime? diesel oils seem such a crap shoot that i feel like i don't know what is safe to put in. i don't run thick tar, only 5/30, 10/30, or straight 30. i prefer 10/30 unless its for a super fresh engine, then i go 5/30. 30 for break-in or good-deal-so-i-bought-it summer.

my local shop (lavere's vw in concord, ca) recommends straight 30 Kendall oil. i never heard of kendall until this. i might be able to hunt down brad penn, at gotelli's speed shop, i'll have to call them up in the morning.

HALP!

lol

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Why not simply buy the oil of your choice online and have it shipped to you? Yes, it's more expensive but your mind will be at ease. Smile

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

All the places selling VR1 i can find will not ship to California. Looks like I'll have to start smuggling ammunition, 80% lowers, and Oil over the border soon.

God this state is ridiculous.

Fuck it. Straight Marvel Mystery Oil it is.

Laughing

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
All the places selling VR1 i can find will not ship to California. Looks like I'll have to start smuggling ammunition, 80% lowers, and Oil over the border soon.

God this state is ridiculous.

Fuck it. Straight Marvel Mystery Oil it is.

Laughing

Really? That is screwed up! Sounds like a road trip to a nearby state maybe in order. Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

oil

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

What the hell should i do in the meantime? diesel oils seem such a crap shoot that i feel like i don't know what is safe to put in. i don't run thick tar, only 5/30, 10/30, or straight 30. i prefer 10/30 unless its for a super fresh engine, then i go 5/30. 30 for break-in or good-deal-so-i-bought-it summer.

my local shop (lavere's vw in concord, ca) recommends straight 30 Kendall oil. i never heard of kendall until this. i might be able to hunt down brad penn, at gotelli's speed shop, i'll have to call them up in the morning.

HALP!

lol

Why do you think diesel oils are a crap shoot? because of this 200 page argument? Laughing

Look at the 2 oil analysis reports I posted, One is for Rotella 5-40 synthetic the other is for Delo 15-40 dino. The ZDDP levels are sufficient for VW engines, If your still not convinced then you can buy Brad Penn from CB http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=brad+penn

For what its worth I have driven an aircooled VW almost every day for the last 11 years, I put over 10,000 miles a year on my bug and have never had an engine failure of any kind! how is this possible? I thought my engine was supposed to explode if I used Rotella or Delo or Delvac.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
For what its worth I have driven an aircooled VW almost every day for the last 11 years, I put over 10,000 miles a year on my bug and have never had an engine failure of any kind! how is this possible? I thought my engine was supposed to explode if I used Rotella or Delo or Delvac.

Yep.
My question to anyone who doesn't like those oils is... how long does it take for the engine to fail?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
vugbug68 wrote:

Yep.
My question to anyone who doesn't like those oils is... how long does it take for the engine to fail?

From someone who thinks the SN rated "Diesel" oils are fine, I got over 250K out of my old 1800 before I lost a valve seat. The bearing clearances were still fine at that time but the surfaces of the inserts were beginning to showing signs of fatigue so I would not have wanted to run them much longer. The pistons showed little signs of wear and the cylinders had virtually no ridge on them. Early in the engine's life I ran 10w30 in the winter and then straight 30wt in the summer both of which would have carried an "S" and a "C" rating and for the last 150K miles ran synthetic "Diesel" oils that also had an "SL" and/or "SM/SN" rating.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I use Rotella T all the time, since when are diesel oils bad?

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

At Wal-Mart with the girl, and while we were there for baby stuff ( might be here as soon as next week Shocked ) I headed to the automotive department, and grabbed a gallon of Delo 400 LE SAE 15W/40. Can't beat the price either, $11.27 a gallon Cool

How does the shell Rotella compare to Rotella T6? Do they have any significant enough differences to warrant the T6?

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I got a chance to give our bus a good run the other day on the way to the WoodBurn VW Bus Fest 2016 and noticed I went through quite a little Oil on the freeway running 75MPH. It was almost 100 degrees out and the engine performed well and did not overheat but went through over 1/2 quart of Castrol 5W30 in about 100 miles like that! (Normally it consumes about 1/2 Qt in 600 miles.)
I have heard that Castrol oil can foam up and given that this engine has a 74mm stroke. I think it may be vaporizing oil but I don't find it on anything! I don't want to switch to a heaver oil as it is so cool where I live and I have a 26mm full flow Oil pump with filter and hoses etc. I can get too high of oil pressure pretty easy with mine.

My question is what Oil should I try that isn't much more expensive than the Castrol oil that might handle the higher RPM on the freeway and stay in the engine.

Last edited by Danwvw on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:

My question is what Oil should I try that isn't much more expensive than the Castrol oil that might handle the higher RPM on the freeway and stay in the engine.

Run a "high mileage" synthetic oil. Synthetic oils can handle the heat and require fewer additives to function well. Running a 30 straight weight oil is also an option. Again a straight weight oil can handle more heat as by definition it doesn't use viscosity modifiers and requires fewer additives.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I tried the Castrol 30 weight when I did the first run with this engine two years ago and it blew the oil hoses off.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:

Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. It is on sale this month at O'Reilly's
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I tried the Castrol 30 weight when I did the first run with this engine two years ago and it blew the oil hoses off.

Hmm do you have an oil pressure gauge? Run the thinest oil you can that will still maintain about 10 psi per 1000 rpm

75 mph in a bus for 100 miles in 100 degree weather is gonna put any oil to the test, do I dare ask your oil temp?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I don't have an oil temp gauge in it but I checked on it twice and it seemed about like it usually is, I could lay my hand on the alternator and touch the alternator stand without getting burned. In the past here on the coast in the cool air It's always measured about 200' to 212' on the case near the dip stick and the lazer thermo reads cooler on the oil lines.
Probably was at least 212' F.
Back when I built the engine and tested it out of the bus the oil pressure would go to about 45PSI Max after it was good and hot.

I was thinking about trying the VR-1.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 198, 199, 200 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 199 of 235

Jump to: