Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I can not say that I understand the meaning of the API starburst very well. Crying or Very sad

From what I've read, in order to be certified by the American Petroleum Institute they have to put the engine oil through their own rigorous testing. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/oil/oil_camwear4.html If the oil doesn't fit their standards, it can't have the "API Certified" starburst symbol. But apparently it can have a false "API SM/SN" label on the bottle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Go back 15-20 pages and another member posted a link about not using Diesel truck oil in gasoline automobiles. I suggest getting off this site and do some research in other places.

I checked all the pages of this forum from 13 to 20 pages back and didn't find a single link about not using Diesel oil with an "S" rating in a gasoline engine. How about just posting a single link to a credible source to support your claim, even Wikipedia would be better than what you have linked to so far.

Might have been 10 pages ago, it might have been 35 pages ago, but another member posted a link about not using Diesel truck oils in gasoline automobile engines.

No point in calling me out again. I refuse to get into a bitch fight with you. Put whatever shit you want to in your engines. I guarantee you get to keep all the broken pieces.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Go back 15-20 pages and another member posted a link about not using Diesel truck oil in gasoline automobiles. I suggest getting off this site and do some research in other places.

I checked all the pages of this forum from 13 to 20 pages back and didn't find a single link about not using Diesel oil with an "S" rating in a gasoline engine. How about just posting a single link to a credible source to support your claim, even Wikipedia would be better than what you have linked to so far.

Might have been 10 pages ago, it might have been 35 pages ago, but another member posted a link about not using Diesel truck oils in gasoline automobile engines.

No point in calling me out again. I refuse to get into a bitch fight with you. Put whatever shit you want to in your engines. I guarantee you get to keep all the broken pieces.

Sorry I searched once and didn't find it where you claimed, have to assume at this point it just isn't there or isn't worth much if it is there. Yet to see a single broken anything cause by running an oil which carries both a Diesel and gasoline rating. Don't expect I ever will.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can remember splainin it to ya then you probbly darn well remember too.
While some of my abilities are upper 90 percentile my memory is in the lower 10%. Ask anybody! I scarecely remember where I live.
The answer is DETERGENT!

My buddy Mike just today asked why I want to put special oil in the new engine we just bolted up. I said, "Low detergent oil will work better to break it in, it's a new engine......so....we don't need much detergent, as there are no deposits in there to worry about, were trying to MAKE deposits."

You CAN add......additives to oil but it's harder to remove them.
Diesel oils have a LOT of detergent and PH stabilizers, which helps suspend carbon, allow long intervals between changes, but also can counter the action of some EP additives(zddp).
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! So you don't want a diesel rated oil for break-in.

I just got some break-in oil yesterday. 30 grade Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1. (That's a lot of Penns and Grades.) Let the break-in begin!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If I can remember splainin it to ya then you probbly darn well remember too.
While some of my abilities are upper 90 percentile my memory is in the lower 10%. Ask anybody! I scarecely remember where I live.
The answer is DETERGENT!

My buddy Mike just today asked why I want to put special oil in the new engine we just bolted up. I said, "Low detergent oil will work better to break it in, it's a new engine......so....we don't need much detergent, as there are no deposits in there to worry about, were trying to MAKE deposits."

You CAN add......additives to oil but it's harder to remove them.
Diesel oils have a LOT of detergent and PH stabilizers, which helps suspend carbon, allow long intervals between changes, but also can counter the action of some EP additives(zddp).

So an SL, SM, or SN oil has too much detergent to run in a gasoline engine? Only on the internet.

IMO people bring up "break in oil" and whether the oil is thin enough to run at -40F because they have no argument otherwise.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modok wrote:
I said, "Low detergent oil will work better to break it in, it's a new engine......so....we don't need much detergent, as there are no deposits in there to worry about, were trying to MAKE deposits."

Diesel oils have a LOT of detergent

Wild things wrote:
So an SL, SM, or SN oil has too much detergent to run in a gasoline engine?

I don't think Modok was referring to never running diesel rated oil in a gasoline engine. Simply that an SN or CJ-4 oil is not what you want for breaking in the engine. Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
Modok wrote:
I said, "Low detergent oil will work better to break it in, it's a new engine......so....we don't need much detergent, as there are no deposits in there to worry about, were trying to MAKE deposits."

Diesel oils have a LOT of detergent

Wild things wrote:
So an SL, SM, or SN oil has too much detergent to run in a gasoline engine?

I don't think Modok was referring to never running diesel rated oil in a gasoline engine. Simply that an SN or CJ-4 oil is not what you want for breaking in the engine. Wink

I would guess that the difference in breaking in an engine using an C*/S* rated detergent oil and using a break in oil with no detergent would be pretty minor if you could detect a difference in engine life at all. For the rings the best thing you can do in my opinion is run an oil with moderate ZDDP and get the engine under load with as little idling time as possible.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. But now it sounds like we're getting into simply opinion differences. No document that I've seen saying not to use diesel oil in a gasoline engine nor any document saying moderate ZDDP oil during break-in is better than using break-in oil.

I think personally I'll just use break-in oil for my break-ins, diesel oil for my diesel engines, gasoline oil for my gasoline engines, oil for new car models in my new cars, oil for classic cars models in my classic cars, racing oil in my race cars, and olive oil in my salad. Laughing
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot snake oil in your snake. You could also safely use elbow grease in your knees as long as it is certified S&M (assuming you exhibit either sadist or masochist tendencies) I unfortunately don't have the litterature to back my claim but I've been told so by the neighbor of the guy who mows the lawn for a man who blogs about these things. Cool Laughing Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
and olive oil in my salad. Laughing

Extra virgin I hope and not....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely NOT virgin Wink
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick heads!
Detergents and EP additives are a BALANCE. ALL zddp is not created equal.
it is formulated to burn off quick or slow, depending on the application.
If I'm gonna dump the oil after 100 or 2000 miles then I don't need a ton of detergents and other additives formulated to slowly release over half a year of haulin a forklift, and having them in there is just INTERFERING with the anti-scuff additives. Both are sacrificial!
Citing Joe gibbs as proof not enough? ok I googled it for you and this came up

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&am...ids1gt4XDg
Bodacious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know the particulars but, when the particulate filters were put in place and the sulfur was taken out of diesel fuel the engine oils also changed. I used to run Rotella in everything, if you notice Rotella and Delo have gotten ridiculously cheap as well. I'm not one to scoff at a good deal but one has to wonder. My 3500 Dodge had an extended sump and held almost 3 gallons of oil. That gave a lot of headway, but our little buddies just hold 2.5, 3 with filter. So I would think we should stay within tolerance. But like my old man used to say, if it ain't broke ........ I am going to try and give this VR1 a good run and I will report back what I find.
10A Rally Yellow
Daily Driver
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just follow the instructions.
The bottle says what it's for although the hype is hard to sift through.
There are now four major brands competing for the classic car market!

-Joe Gibbs
-Brad Penn
-Valvoline VR1
-Maxima
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally decided to just go with Brad Penn. I don't have to worry about it not having enough grades to choose from or certain grades that don't have enough ZDDP nor do I have to turn the bottle over every time I go to buy it to make sure the API rating hasn't changed. Pluss it has a picture of a classic car on the bottle.

The VR1, Joe Gibbs, Amzoil Z-Rod, API SL oils and anything 20W-50 I'm sure all work fine. But this is my choice and I'll have to live with it. If my engine blows up because of it maybe I'll try something different next time.
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Brad Penn, I've also purchased some VR1 and have been hesitant to switch over. In fact I was gonna use VR1 for my 2110 and when the engine got to the shop for post-freight repairs, I got wooed by the sales-pitch from the shop guy who incidently is a Brad Penn dealer. If the performance of the 2 oils is somewhat equal, I think I might just pull the (drain) plug and go VR1 if just for the wider availability.

I used plenty of Maxima products in my motocross years and they were always top notch products. If they have an oil with the right amount of ZDDP, I wouldn't hesitate to use that one moment.

The same goes for Joe Gibbs.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singerdude wrote:
I think I might just pull the (drain) plug and go VR1 if just for the wider availability.

VR1 may be easier to find (like at Walmart). But it doesn't have the range of grades Brad Penn has. I need something that can withstand as cold as -40° F (-40° C) I haven't seen any 0W-30 VR1. I'd also like to jump from 10W-30 to 10W-40 or 15W-40 in the summer if my oil pressure gets a tad low. With VR1 I'd have to jump between 10W-30 and 20W-50 or straight 40.

Maybe I'm just picky. Eh?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Thick heads!
Detergents and EP additives are a BALANCE. ALL zddp is not created equal.
it is formulated to burn off quick or slow, depending on the application.
If I'm gonna dump the oil after 100 or 2000 miles then I don't need a ton of detergents and other additives formulated to slowly release over half a year of haulin a forklift, and having them in there is just INTERFERING with the anti-scuff additives. Both are sacrificial!
Citing Joe gibbs as proof not enough? ok I googled it for you and this came up

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&am...ids1gt4XDg

Sorry, but I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the point of this study was. It seems like they compared a right out of the can synthetic 5w30 SN rated detergent motor oil (750ppm phosphorus) to pure ZDDP. They don't say that the ZDDP was mixed with with base oil, but since no percentage is given I would have to assume it was straight ZDDP. This is their statement "Wear increases substantially when using the fully formulated oil compared to using ZDDP alone". The test procedure also in no way duplicated the wear that takes place anywhere in an engine that I can think of excepting maybe the pivot pin of a mechanical fuel pump or the ends of the pushrods on a hydraulic lifter engine.

If you think you can do your engine breakin on straight ZDDP then go for it. For myself I will stick with an off the shelf detergent motor oil with moderate ZDDP just as I have been doing quite successfully for decades at this point.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know either.
but it says:
"Many studies have investigated the interaction of Ca
based detergents and dispersants (phenates, sulfonates,
salicylates) with ZDDPs.
9–17
The consensus is that the
efficacy of ZDDPs is retarded through a competition of
detergents and dispersants either absorbing on the
surface or limiting the interaction between ZDDPs
and the metal,
both routes resulting in antagonistic
behaviour with respect to antiwear performance.
Overbased detergents have also been shown to diminish
the antioxidant properties of ZDDPs, while the more
basic detergent seems to improve the frictional proper-ties of the oil.
13"
you could lookup sources 9-19 for further reading.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 195 of 235

Jump to: