Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Martenni wrote:
Probably a '57 built, '58 model.

This would be more appropriate in the 1958-67 section imho.

Kinda what I was getting at. Even his forum name is 58vert?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

18k Shocked Features: Wolfsburg edition (emblem on hubcaps and right side of car) Laughing Laughing Laughing it's not a 55 either , It's an 80's custom though. I wonder how much he would want for the vert in the background.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1935123

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Good lord...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1914035

Even comes with that awesome cut dash and 65 rear apron.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

And late seats.

I wonder if it's a real Zwitter or a split conversion?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Nice car, but $58,000? Is this really what the hobby has come to?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

you mean this concourse quality with silver bumper brackets?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1936946
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Lol, I totally forgot to add the link. Even if the brackets were black like they're supposed to be, I don't see an oval being worth that much.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

A tan firewall mat with black floor mats, silver instead of black painted bumper brackets, US bumpers on a Euro car, cracked paint around the passenger rear bumper bracket hole, cheesy chrome door sil plates, tan B pillar headliner material when it should be red, crappy looking horn button, non restored speedometer with a super yellow needle, crappy looking glove box, cheesy ebrake boot, wrong running board mats, a tear in the rear seat, pitted front seat frames, and tears in the front seat covers all for $58,000??? Good luck! You better have a top notch car if you want top dollar.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

tan B pillar headliner material when it should be red

Oh yeah? I was not aware they came that way. Any photos of an original car in red?

I don't see any tears in the seat covers?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
jays58s wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

Oh yeah? I was not aware they came that way. Any photos of an original car in red?

Ovals had color matched B pillars. The B pillars were always the same color as the seat covers in ovals. Here's a couple examples... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1883245

Here's a picture from an oval with 28,000 original miles...

If you go to the website that the guy has the car listed on, there's 150 pictures that show all the issues I mentioned.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

A tan firewall mat with black floor mats, silver instead of black painted bumper brackets, US bumpers on a Euro car, cracked paint around the passenger rear bumper bracket hole, cheesy chrome door sil plates, tan B pillar headliner material when it should be red, crappy looking horn button, non restored speedometer with a super yellow needle, crappy looking glove box, cheesy ebrake boot, wrong running board mats, a tear in the rear seat, pitted front seat frames, and tears in the front seat covers all for $58,000??? Good luck! You better have a top notch car if you want top dollar.

I'm curious as to why you think this is a Euro delivered car? It's obviously been restored, and parts could of been mixed and matched during assembly. But I'm seeing U.S. Eggs, Ram Protection, and red leatherette interior....
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

I'm curious as to why you think this is a Euro delivered car? It's obviously been restored, and parts could of been mixed and matched during assembly. But I'm seeing U.S. Eggs, Ram Protection, and red leatherette interior....

Maybe it isn't a euro car, but either way, it has a lot wrong with it to justify $58,000. Also, if you look at the pictures on the website, the paint is cracked around one of the overrider holes, and the rubber grommet is super pinched.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

I agree with you there...the price is pretty steep. Those things could easily be fixed before listinng for that kind of asking price. I would be embarrassed asking that much with so many issues. That seller listed a 56' panel on our spokane craigslist recently for 56k or something like that. There is some info in the bus whines. I'm not too sure how legitimate the 55' oval for sale really is.
I thought maybe you were seeing something I may have missed about it being a Euro car.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I agree with you there...the price is pretty steep. Those things could easily be fixed before listinng for that kind of asking price. I would be embarrassed asking that much with so many issues. That seller listed a 56' panel on our spokane craigslist recently for 56k or something like that. There is some info in the bus whines. I'm not too sure how legitimate the 55' oval for sale really is.
I thought maybe you were seeing something I may have missed about it being a Euro car.

It was mainly the overrider grommet being really pinched and the paint being cracked that made me wonder. I even asked him nicely in an email where he got his price from and here was his response:

Hi Jay,

Certainly. Having perhaps the nicest and most original example ever listed it did take some investigating to come up with a price. I spent several hours comparative shopping and looking up previous sales figures of other examples. Here are a few I used. I also am in the business of restoring rare vintage Volkswagens and I know a restoration like this can cost upwards of $80,000 and that wouldn't even include the purchase price of the car. This is an amazing, all original metal example which if for sale unrestored but complete and rust free would likely run a person over $20,000 just for the basis to do a restoration.

Here are a few of the examples that I happen to save in a word document for my own reference while researching:

1954 non sunroof Jan 2016 $38.5k
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23132/lot/102/

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=23905&i=8&eAR=t&eventID=1633

I appreciate the question. Thank you for your interest.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

I agree seller is a bit delusional, but like everything else. It will sell at what it will sell for. This seller will, like most, be holding onto this for a long time either until some fool comes along or they're willing to take market value. There are many cars in the classifieds that have been on the market forever because of stubbornness or unrealistic expectations.

Like the split bus forum. Many of us appreciate the info provided in this forum and details to look for to assess value.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
EverettB wrote:
jays58s wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

Ovals had color matched B pillars. The B pillars were always the same color as the seat covers in ovals. Here's a couple examples... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1883245

Here's a picture from an oval with 28,000 original miles...

If you go to the website that the guy has the car listed on, there's 150 pictures that show all the issues I mentioned.

Cool, I didn't know that. I don't remember my mostly original '56 Sunroof being like that but I don't have any photos to check it.

I didn't see those issues in his photos on his site but I will look again.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

My 55' is also like the photo above, with the interior colored material on the B-pillar, but with beige leatherette. I won't post any photos of it....mainly because the condition is horrible! Laughing
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1933889

$465 and you get a couple rusty pieces of the steering box internals. I don't even see the seals or bearings.
I would say that he values the pieces at about $10 and the busted up VW cardboard at about $455.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hope this isn't off topic Reply with quote

Westy Steve wrote:
I'm not really whining, but I was told to use this thread for my question:

I was just reading (this) whine thread about prices.

Then I went looking through the classifieds, and noticed that prices seem to be in-line with what people were whining about a month ago. Here are the ask prices on the most recent somewhat original hardtop ovals: $19.5K, $17.5K, $15K, $16K, $17K, $36K, $13K, $13.5K, $35K, $30K. I think I missed a $10K, slammed car in there that was in that grey area between rat rod and original.

Did prices firm up by a factor of 2 in the last month or are the whiners right? They discussed complete original cars fairly priced at $6K. Is that the actual price of cars changing hands? I know people get good deals, but the asking price on most of the cars seems to average way more than $6K. Where is the market really at?

Hey guys,

I continue to see high prices. I've come to the conclusion that the market for Ovals firmed up. I had a thought that I'd love to expound on in a regular thread, but not sure that's allowed there so I'll try it here. My thought is that Ovals tend to be some multiple of the price of an early "square window"....and those are going up. I was looking through the prices of those early square windows, like very original, or nicely restored '63 beetles, and even those are pretty darn high. Does the typical Oval sedan usually run about double the cost of an early 60's beetle in the same condition? 2.5 times? 3 times? What I'm seeing is that first the Split market went to the moon, then the Oval market firmed up, and now the early square window market is following suit. Not surprising when I look at the price of those other air cooled german cars (porches). So what's a good rule of thumb for the value of an Oval vs. a nice early square window?

Steve
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

I bought my 1st oval about 7 years ago. I have watched the price of complete cars, basket cases, and rust buckets steadily climb since then. I don't even watch any more, I'm only interested in parts now. But those too, have sky rocketed recently.
Seems split bus prices are starting to level out, come down actually. Maybe ovals and early square windows will too?
I would think 10k would be a great price for a solid oval driver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Page 102 of 161

Jump to: