Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

What are your canvas replacement plans? Amish, or bus depot,or homebrew?
erinworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

I bought some rubber backed canvas fabric from Wal-Mart for 4 bucks a yard. I had to go to 2 different stores to get the correct yardage. It's been a beast to sew and my poor little Singer machine is hating me. It is set up to Velcro in which will make it last longer and any repairs will be cake. It's looking great so far and I'll show pics when I'm done. Right now I have bought 2 Wal-Marts out of Velcro, so I am going to have to travel to get more. So far, I am at around 65 bucks, but it has been a lot of measuring, installing, removing, installing, measuring, installing removing etc!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

^Nice! so you will have your penthouse at its maximum height? I always wondered why they seem to have a few inches left to travel up, a couple inches left in the guides on the ceiling. I just scored a new (to me) canvas that I am thinking about sewing a band around the top about 6 inches wide, to give more height. I was planning on stapleing to the wood slats on the bottom, and the top. Factory had the top stapled to the ceiling, and that made removal a pain. if stapled to slats only, screws to the bus, and screws to the ceiling will make removal easier if needed to remove.
If you leave your canvas on, don't forget to add some elastic cord to help pull it in when lowering the top. there is a good view somewhere in this thread. you should upgrade that singer and make a few canvases for the classifieds. Sportsmobile canvas is hard to come by. (Bus depot has canvas for penthouse tops, but could not confirm they would work on a sportsmobile)
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
see a few sportsmobiles in the classifieds
but who wants to tell this fella he's actually got a SM not a danbury.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1915660

"It needs extensive restoration and is not for the novelist. I will take more pics for serious injuries." Smile
English much? Razz

Ha you beat me to it!

could be a Country Homes Camper conversion, or a Trinity. there were a couple of camper makers that bought the penthouse and did their own thing. NOT a Danbury.
check out the "Baron"

https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5455287360.html

erinworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

[quote="erinworley"]
alman72 wrote:

So, here is the progression to my finished sportsmobile canvas. It was a real beast to accomplish. Looks much better than the old rotted one. It can be easily removed thanks to 65 feet of Velcro. I also added a fourth window and used the extra 2 inches of height (the added height may be from the shrinkage in the previous canvas). Cost was about 75 bucks, but the work was intense.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

only gained 2 inches? looks like a lot more! great work!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Wow! Nice work. that looks better than the original, for sure.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Wow awesome job! Great looks and great height - it's like me in cnavas form!
erinworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

If Sportsmobile did not open it's plant in Indiana until 1976 (according to Wikipedia) and my 1971 bay has a Sportsmobile Penthouse top that says it was made in Andrews (outside of Huntington) Indiana, should I assume that the top was added later? Just trying to figure out the history of my lovely bus.
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

It says on Sportsmobile's website (they are still in business) that they moved to Indiana in 1964. Wikipedia is not complete or always correct. My original '73 Penthouse also says "Andrews".
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
erinworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Sage79 wrote:
It says on Sportsmobile's website (they are still in business) that they moved to Indiana in 1964. Wikipedia is not complete or always correct. My original '73 Penthouse also says "Andrews".

Thank you so much for the clarification!!
Bnzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

I am restoring one of these tops and am trying to figure out what this is for. when I got it it had the eyebolt but it did not have the chain. Everyhting else looks like mine
Thanks
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

That's a safety hold down for the roof. Mine, and many I've seen, are a seatbelt instead of a chain.. I can take a picture of mine when I'm home from work if someone else doesn't chime in with a picture.. There Should be a bolt through the roof under the bed for the other side
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to find a source for the plastic screw covers on the top and bottom of the jalousie windows (the 2-panel windows with the screws on the outside)? I've got 3 of the 4 but it would sure look nice with all and new ones would probably fit tighter since the old ones are pretty hard.
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Sage79 wrote:
Has anyone tried to find a source for the plastic screw covers on the top and bottom of the jalousie windows (the 2-panel windows with the screws on the outside)? I've got 3 of the 4 but it would sure look nice with all and new ones would probably fit tighter since the old ones are pretty hard.

Me, too! Me, too! I have two of the four, and would like to get the other two. But I don't know where to even start looking. Sad
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

why not this for the top and bottom?
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?...aQodsBEGQw
madscout636
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

This is my new to me 1970 Sportsmobile. My in-laws had it and would have just as easily sent it to the scrap yard. Let's just say I picked it up for a song. It has the typical upper mid-west rot. Does not run, but engine is not seized. It does not have compression in two cylinders. From the research I have done, it is missing curtains and probably some other things regarding the conversion. Canvas is pretty much toast so I am on the lookout for a path to replace that. has Sportsmobile badges on both sides and a cool Westport VW badge on the back. IDK where that dealer was/is. Enough rambling here are some pics:

TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Sage79 wrote:

http://www.parkin-acc.com/page53.html

does part 009-042 look the same as what you guys have?!

I'm assuming that's it, although I can't compare since I don't have any top or bottom covers, just the sides...

I haven't ordered yet, as I am wanting to order some of the flap seal, and am going to rebuild my other window (have done one already) and in case I need any parts for that one, will order it all at the same time. I went to these guys for my broken parts for my other windows, and they were insanely cheap, fast, knowledgeable, and helpful...
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

madscout636 wrote:

WHOA!! How cool is that ^^^

Very nice bus, can't wait to see it cleaned up
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

edit dbl post.

Last edited by alman72 on Fri May 20, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: