Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aisle compartment? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
looking over the literature for sportsmobiles, I am guessing that this is a aisle compartment? anyone seen on of these, or know where it belongs? (in my sportsmobile, not yours Smile )
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You couldn't be more wrong. That belongs with me. Belongs with me so much that I'd marry that thing...

Just kidding, its definitely just trash. So you should just throw it away. In a box. In the mail. To me.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

so is this thing the yellow bucket of sportsmobiles? I cant see many people getting the aisle compartment option, if that is what this is, and fewer staying with the bus thru the years. It Is only sheet metal, and would crumple up good if someone ever sat on it. This was a pick and pull score. Looking at the literature/brochure I cant see it in any of the pictures. I do love it.
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
so is this thing the yellow bucket of sportsmobiles? I cant see many people getting the aisle compartment option, if that is what this is, and fewer staying with the bus thru the years. It Is only sheet metal, and would crumple up good if someone ever sat on it. This was a pick and pull score. Looking at the literature/brochure I cant see it in any of the pictures. I do love it.

I can pretty well guarantee that there's nobody that’s done more research on Sportsmobiles than me, and the best I can say is: I don't know. I've never seen it pictured, or in person, however I am fairly confident it isn't the aisle compartment. The only one of those that I've seen (in a picture, never in person) was square, and you definitely could sit on it. Also, the "blueprint" literature shows the aisle compartment as a square with what appear to be cup holders... This must be one of the several cabinet options. Either the removable storage cabinet, or some sort of wall mounted cabinet, or I have even seen mention before of a beverage cabinet... That flap obviously serves as the door, which is cool, as you could get cabinets either solid wood, or they offered things like the closet as just a hanging naugahyde bag...

Now I have to go dive into hours of research so I can find it pictured somewhere. Thanks a lot...!

Or you could send it to me for in depth, in person investigating Smile
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

the side without the flap is angled back, so it could not be mounted to anything flat or it would tilt the whole thing. Then there is the padded side, meant to protect occupants from getting hurt/uncomfortable. It would almost seem like the flap was put on the wrong side at sportsmobile. And no holes for padding on the other side. it is a weird item. there are some holes on the bottom that I will take a pic of and post

same holes on both sides of the bottom
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Got it!

Maybe I have seen it before, but forgot due to the overwhelming amount of useless SM info in my head... Sportsmobile offered so many different interior configurations it was insane. This is from an earlier model, and went on top of a driver's side sink cabinet, wihout a stove.

I think that it was considerend a beverage, or bar, cabinet.

Which only makes me want it more!!

AWESOME FIND!!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

holy sweetness!! thanks so much! great find!! so happy with my score! I have plans to go back to check the pick n pull for more SM stuff, like brochures, or maybe a bed extention. I think I remember reading that you have one? post a pic please? I am guessing it is mustard yellow, and similar to the reg upper bed? Also, what should I pay for a childs cot out of a SM? same as a Westy? I found one today at a second parts SM that I know of. and, one more thing, ever seen a bunk ladder out of one of these? I need one of those too for the kiddos btw, the one I Re-looked at today had og front curtains still in it
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
holy sweetness!! thanks so much! great find!! so happy with my score! I have plans to go back to check the pick n pull for more SM stuff, like brochures, or maybe a bed extention. I think I remember reading that you have one? post a pic please? I am guessing it is mustard yellow, and similar to the reg upper bed? Also, what should I pay for a childs cot out of a SM? same as a Westy? I found one today at a second parts SM that I know of. and, one more thing, ever seen a bunk ladder out of one of these? I need one of those too for the kiddos btw, the one I Re-looked at today had og front curtains still in it

I do have a spare extension, but I am not at home now to get a picture.. My childs cot is the same as one for a Westy, so I would assume similar price?

And lastly, I do have a bunk ladder! It was in a Westy parked next to the SM at my top secret honey hole, and I've just always told myslef that it got thrown in the wrong bus... I really have no proof either way, other than it really looking like the ladder in the literature...

2 parts SMs?! Shoot me some PMs with interior pics and stuff, and maybe we can work out a deal on some things that I have and could trade/pay for some things I don't!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

more like 5 SMs
they are pretty gone thru. except for the single one I saw today
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

OK. You MUST strip all those Sportsmobiles of their remaining SM stuff, if they are truly parts vehicles now. That stuff has got to be preserved, and whatever you do not want or need you should offer up for sale to the rest of us. I expect there are lot of folks who are eager to get ahold of missing bits and bobs -- all the loose stuff that gets tossed aside and never gets kept.

As for me, mine is fairly complete, but I would love to get some original
- latches to secure the sink cabinet to the passenger seat
- sink cabinet water tank
- curtains

Let me know if any of that exists!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

I think I may have seen a water tank. I am heading out there on Saturday. The ones at the pick and pull have really been gone over. and of course the motors have all been removed and placed in the vehicle, damaging a lot that would have been nice. Also, windows and doors are missing here and there, letting in the snow and rain. As I said in a prev. post, the one I saw today does have its curtains.(white-sh I think) I will ask about price when I go back out to try and get the cot. PM me what you would want to pay for the items you want, and I will pick them up if they are there, and in your price range. Don't forget shipping. I wont jack up the price, just don't want to get stuck with things I don't need. Sportsmobilers unite!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

the pop tops (complete or parts) would certainly have some value. being able to be added to any tintop or 73-68 or split window bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: single picking sportsmobile Reply with quote

here is the one local parts SM.

TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Even more pms sent.. if I was there I'd strip that thing bare...
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
Even more pms sent.. if I was there I'd strip that thing bare...

Laughing indeed we would.... call me today. Want to finalize plans for Oski...
erinworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

1971 Sportsmobile
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

What's up with that 1971, erinworley? Is it yours, or one for sale or parts? Or something?

And welcome to the Samba!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

see a few sportsmobiles in the classifieds
but who wants to tell this fella he's actually got a SM not a danbury.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1915660
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

"It needs extensive restoration and is not for the novelist. I will take more pics for serious injuries." Smile
English much? Razz
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

"It needs extensive restoration and is not for the novelist. I will take more pics for serious injuries." Smile
English much? Razz

Ha you beat me to it!
erinworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
What's up with that 1971, erinworley? Is it yours, or one for sale or parts? Or something?

And welcome to the Samba!

Just bought! Super excited and overwhelmed with all I need to get done to take it for its first camping trip! Right now its brake job and tent replacement time!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: