Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

^

The offset on those wheels isn't really ideal, but they are fairly narrow so they should work okay. You will need to drill the lug holes out to 37/64" and depending on what you are currently running for wheels, you may need new studs, lug nuts and/or front lug bolts (if you have a 2wd) in order to mount that as a spare.

And yes, with the right size tire, that should fit in the spare area.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Would this rim work as a spare? Fit the carrier?
Mercedes Benz 15" Wheel Rim 1989-1993 1264004102 65Jx15H ET 21.5
Thanks.

I'm using the 124 400 0602 ET 49 for my 195/70-15 spare. Fits without any major modifications. I added U-bolts to the rear to keep from squeezing the rad hoses and removed the 'tire bars'.

The wheel clears the Audi/Girling G57/288mm disc setup, too.

I have a couple extras if you're interested?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have 16" steelies that are a direct bolt on my 86 syncro.
I am trying to sell them and they are ET 37, 7Jx16 H2 will they be a direct bolt to an 84 auto vanagon. Thanks
If you need more info here is my ad: I am not posting the ad in here to be hijacked , just trying to get info. Thanks
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1910144
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I have 16" steelies that are a direct bolt on my 86 syncro.
I am trying to sell them and they are ET 37, 7Jx16 H2 will they be a direct bolt to an 84 auto vanagon. Thanks
If you need more info here is my ad: I am not posting the ad in here to be hijacked , just trying to get info. Thanks
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1910144
Tony

With 215 tires, there is a 50/50 shot that they will fit without rubbing on the front control arm. If the buyer wants to put them on a 2wd, adding thin spacers to the front is suggested as are new small ball seat mounting bolts and nuts. The stock Vanagon 2wd steel wheel lugs don't fit those wheels very well.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I'm using the 124 400 0602 ET 49 for my 195/70-15 spare. Fits without any major modifications. I added U-bolts to the rear to keep from squeezing the rad hoses and removed the 'tire bars'.

Thanks Jake. It was one of your posts that got me interested in this rim. I'm in Victoria and the rim is in Nanaimo, so logistically it's better for me and I got to burn the carbon out of the 2.5L today. Are you using a 'less than spec' tire for the spare then for fitment on the carrier? Good to know for the Girling G57/288mm disc since I have the same. I'll let you know about your rims in case this one doesn't pan out.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:

Thanks Jake. It was one of your posts that got me interested in this rim. I'm in Victoria and the rim is in Nanaimo, so logistically it's better for me and I got to burn the carbon out of the 2.5L today. Are you using a 'less than spec' tire for the spare then for fitment on the carrier? Good to know for the Girling G57/288mm disc since I have the same. I'll let you know about your rims in case this one doesn't pan out.

I didn't remember that you were on the Island - your location is given as 'Canada'. Pretty big joint! Very Happy

Our band is playing at the Lighthouse Bluegrass Festival in Qualicum Beach on the Canada Day weekend if you still need the rim.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WagginWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Any advice on tires for an 81 single cab? I drive it multiple days a week and prefer an all season tire for Oregon's climate...
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

WagginWagen wrote:
Any advice on tires for an 81 single cab? I drive it multiple days a week and prefer an all season tire for Oregon's climate...

There is an entire thread dedicate to tires. It seems like they should go together, and they do, but each subject matter is pretty complicated in its own right, so it's better to keep them mostly separated.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507

iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like these, anyone have a clue what they are? Thanks.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks T3 Technique (Chris) for all of the great support and hardware necessary to install my new rims and tires. Very pleased with the final result.

2001 MERCEDES CLK-CLASS-TYPE-208
CLK AMG55 B6 603 1005 Rims (17x7.5 ET37)

Nokian Entyre 2.0 215/55 R17 98V

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Right on, man! That looks beautiful!!!

ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have the chance to buy these four 15" OEM MB / Ronal wheels for $80.

Is the general consensus that these are an overall improvement over the stock 14" alloys on my 1990 Westfalia Multivan?

Is the general consensus that these are superior to the GW replicas?

The tires on my stock alloys are 205/70R14. I'm hoping that with spacers from T3 (if necessary for fitment issues), I could fit slightly wider (215?), and slightly larger diameter, tires.

Although not currently in the budget, I'm hoping to do larger front brakes in the future. Will any of the currently-offered kits fit these 15" wheels?

I'd need to drive 1.5 hours to buy them, so wanted to run this past y'all. TIA![/img]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The original Mercedes wheels are definitely miles stronger than the aftermarket replicas. Those particular wheels do fit well on a 2wd, but will require spacers, studs and lugs. The Mercedes center caps will not fit, even with spacers.

You could run up to 225 tires on those wheels without issue.

And yes, they will clear all of the brake kits that are currently available here in the US.

ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Sweet! I'll be in touch for the hardware. Very Happy
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hey Chris...

Shot in the dark here...but I was wondering if you have ever mounted the 2009 18 inch GTI alloy rims on an 84 Westy...the centerbore looks like it woud need to be enlarged.

I have a 2.2 subie for a power plant...

Any feedback on spacers, lugs and of course you opinion would be great.

The seller emailed me and advised they are ET51 with a 65mm centerbore.

If you think these are a good option...sell me tires too...

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty, I have in fact installed a set of those. The biggest issue is that the bores do need to be opened up and unless you do something custom, you can't fit center caps. Other than that, it's just standard spacers, lugs and studs.

Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Any chance you have a picture of them installed?

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have a picture in my archives somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now. I'll post it if I find it.

batekush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would these wheels work on my 1982 2wd Vanagon and, if so, what kind of tires should i be looking at? The listing has them as 16x7s for a 2003 Mercedes C240.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

batekush,

Yes, I just got my set exactly like that fitted with spacers and hardware from T3techniques. Still trying to figure out the tires tho. Really depends on what your other variables are. Stock diameter, or close is what most will recommend. Stock diameter is 25.5" I believe. Problem is that it is a real puzzle as to matching the vehicle demands to the stock diameter. 205/60/16 is pretty close to stock diameter. However, finding a 99 rated, or C, can be hard.
The closest BFG TA KO's I can find are 27" diameter, 215/65/16. The spare, if you get one to match, won't fit under the front in the spare pan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 128 of 174

Jump to: