Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I was referring to the ones on the syncro.

Will these 18s need any machining to fit my 2wd??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Live to love and love to live but don't forget to give the love and love to give
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:

Will these 18s need any machining to fit my 2wd??

Yes, those would have to be machined to open up the center cap area in order to fit onto a 2wd.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Surfy Murphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have a set of 20mm spacers made by t3 technique up for grabs and 3 audi allroad rims, powdercoated to match stock. Spacers work with ET45 wheels on syncro only. PM me if interested....I switched to CLKs.
mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Found a nice set of merc wheels? Anyone seen these before or ran with em??

'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Live to love and love to live but don't forget to give the love and love to give
Dub Misfits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Picked up some SSR Strahl wheels a little while back. 17x8 17x9 ET is either 38 or 45. I have yet to measure them. They will be drilled and inserted to 5x112.

Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:

There is two types types 8x16 ET62 and 6.5x16 ET47

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:

Yeah, Jim Hunter is correct. Those wheels came in 16x8 ET62 and 16x6.5 ET47. The 16x6.5 ET47 wheels were never imported into the US, but there are lots of the 16x8 ET62 version. Either one could be used on a Syncro, but the 16x8s are not a good choice for a 2wd. No matter what, the installation would requires spacers or adapters to make them work.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Will these fit on my 84 Tintop? What would it take to get them on?

Thanks --
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/-set-of-Genuine-16-RS4-Audi-rims-with-tires-_26437704
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I don't know the exact fitmemt details, but these look like the same wheels for far less $.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/penticton/audi-a...nFlag=true

Also, the ones you are looking at are also listed for sale on Craigslist in Surrey.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/wto/5471583913.html
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Will these fit on my 84 Tintop? What would it take to get them on?

Thanks --
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/-set-of-Genuine-16-RS4-Audi-rims-with-tires-_26437704

You can make those wheels fit, but you will need to have the center bores opened up to 66.56mm. For parts, you will need spacers front and rear, small ball seat front lug bolts, small ball seat rear lug nuts and longer rear studs. You will not easily be able to run the front center caps unless you modify both the grease caps and the center caps.

oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks -- sounds like a lot more than i was hoping for -- are the longer studs a big deal to get and change? Do you sell those as well? Are they a good size for my 1.9?

Thanks!!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Changing the rear studs requires the removal of the 46mm axle nuts and hubs. Those nuts are torqued to 360 ft lb. If you have the right tools, it's not a big deal. If you don't have the right tools, it can be a real challenge. Once the nuts are removed, the hubs just slide off and you can press out the old studs and press in the new ones.

makina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hello, after rebuilding the heads & painting the bus. Finally it's time to upgrade the wheels I've invested hours I mean hours trying to learn all the dynamics of such. Spacers, studs, measurements etc etc ... So I'm looking at some really nice 17" 08 Audi rims, from what I have learned is that Audi rims are closer to our vans but I know they very from year to year, don't know how wide they are but I take it there no wider than 8" I'll try calling the dude later but I thought to post first to see if anyone has had similar experience.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would these be too much of a horsepower loss for my 1.9 tintop? If not, much to do to install them?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Audi-A6-16-Wheels_27070932
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Would these be too much of a horsepower loss for my 1.9 tintop? If not, much to do to install them?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Audi-A6-16-Wheels_27070932

In order to run those wheels, you would need to have the center bores opened up to 66.56mmm and you would need spacers front and rear, new lugs front and rear and new rear studs.

The tires on those wheels are not usable on a Vanagon. They are too short and the load rating is not sufficient. A 205/60R16 with a load rating of at least 96 XL would be a perfect match with your 1.9.

oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks -- they sold fast! Already gone. Funny though. The tire size you recommended are the ones on my wife's Golf TDI --

Thanks -- I'll keep looking!
Justcantwait
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Having done my darnedest to read this thread as thoroughly as possible, I wanted to ask this newbie question before I go spend my dollars on a bad craigslist decision: will these work for my 1991 2wd Westy, and if so what adaptations do I need?

Set of 4 factory original alloy Audi rims. This 16" model came stock on A4, A6, S6 and Allroad from 1995-2004. 5-lug 5x112 mm bolt pattern. Tires are worn to the wear bars. $300 obo

I would like to put light truck tires on the rims, I was thinking Michelin Defenders, any recommendations appreciated!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Justcantwait wrote:
Having done my darnedest to read this thread as thoroughly as possible, I wanted to ask this newbie question before I go spend my dollars on a bad craigslist decision: will these work for my 1991 2wd Westy, and if so what adaptations do I need?

Set of 4 factory original alloy Audi rims. This 16" model came stock on A4, A6, S6 and Allroad from 1995-2004. 5-lug 5x112 mm bolt pattern. Tires are worn to the wear bars. $300 obo

I would like to put light truck tires on the rims, I was thinking Michelin Defenders, any recommendations appreciated!

Chances are very good that you can use those wheels, but there are a few things that you should be aware of. The first is that you will need to have the centerbores of these wheels machined to 66.56mm. The second is that many Audi/VW wheels have designs that make it difficult to impossible to get the center caps to fit.

Other than that, a set of spacers front and rear, new front lug bolts, new rear lug nuts and new rear wheel studs will get the wheels mounted up nicely.

I'm always open to having people send me links, photos or part numbers of the wheels that they are considering and I try to get back to them as quickly as possible with an answer. Sending me an email to the address in my signature is usually a bit quicker and easier.

Justcantwait
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Many thanks!
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would this rim work as a spare? Fit the carrier?
Mercedes Benz 15" Wheel Rim 1989-1993 1264004102 65Jx15H ET 21.5
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 127 of 174

Jump to: