Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Its sort of stupid but......... What's a zwitter?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Its sort of stupid but......... What's a zwitter? Reply with quote

What's a zwitter? Embarassed Embarassed
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Split with a Oval dash.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks...I've been on this forum for a while and I always saw people talking about them and I never knew.....
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, one year only, 1953. (well simply said.. to lazy to post the exact dates..)
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly translated, it means "hybrid". or "bastard"
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
In other words, one year only, 1953. (well simply said.. to lazy to post the exact dates..)

October 52 through March 53.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
A Split with a Oval dash.
I thought it was an oval with a split rear window and 4-5 special to that 6month parts ash tray,gas tank, int. light, starter botton, and a few others. Would not mind having a zwitter rag.
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwitter is German for 'use the search button'

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovalslider
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Zwitter is not enough to be considered a Split to the true Split people and to oval people an overly expensive oval. I sought out mine because I wanted something rare and the best of both worlds. So I went for a true rag Zwitter.
57 Baja (not my doing)
60 Deluxe Bug
72 Ghia Vert
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: sorry for my question but ... Reply with quote

was the bastard manufactured in the cabrio version ??
there is a guy in my country that claims that his car is a zwitter cabriolet , that only few were made , that is costs a REAL FORTUNE , that someone offered him 3 milion , a Titanic souvenir and a night with Lindsay Lohan inside Herbie , but he didn`t accept and , bla bla bla bla ....i think it is bullshit , but what do you think about it ?? actually , it has a vinyl top and a non correct cabrio rear window , although this , it has won some trophies ....this last ,shows the low knowledge degree of the jurors and the poor level of the cars....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: sorry for my question but ... Reply with quote

Libreriajenny wrote:
there is a guy in my country that claims that his car is a zwitter cabriolet , that only few were made , that is costs a REAL FORTUNE , that someone offered him 3 milion , a Titanic souvenir and a night with Lindsay Lohan inside Herbie , but he didn`t accept and , bla bla bla bla ....i think it is bullshit , but what do you think about it ?? actually , it has a vinyl top and a non correct cabrio rear window , although this , it has won some trophies ....this last ,shows the low knowledge degree of the jurors and the poor level of the cars....

Yes Ricardo, there were zwitter cabs. How many I don't know but it should be easy to look up. I would guess the number at several hundred. All cabrolets made between October of '52 to March of '53 would be "Zwitters."
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: The Z word Reply with quote

I never cared for the Z word. It's unfortunate it had to enter our lexicon at all. I always referred to cars built from Oct. '52 through March of '53 as late splits or oval-dash splits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A Zwitter is not enough to be considered a Split to the true Split people and to oval people an overly expensive oval."

That suits it well............. Very Happy

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
"A Zwitter is not enough to be considered a Split to the true Split people and to oval people an overly expensive oval."

That suits it well............. Very Happy

Sorry there's no way that ugly back window would be considered anything but a split. Wink
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwitter translated = hermaphrodite
hermaphrodite = a person or thing in which two opposite qualities are combined. i.e. split and oval.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: sorry for my question but ... Reply with quote

Libreriajenny wrote:

Yes there were zwitter (hermaphrodite) cabrios. There is one in Sydney, built in October '52 I think.

http://members.netro.com.au/~vwcc/sm52.htm
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farkengruven wrote:
Zwitter translated = hermaphrodite

Which is why I could never stand the word. Ugly imagery. Laughing
ovalslider
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I cannot understand about this whole Zwitter Cabrio thing is how could one tell the difference between a Zwitter rag and a stanard oval rag?
57 Baja (not my doing)
60 Deluxe Bug
72 Ghia Vert
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalslider wrote:
What I cannot understand about this whole Zwitter Cabrio thing is how could one tell the difference between a Zwitter rag and a stanard oval rag?

Gas tank........ash tray......speedometer.... air cleaner......fuel filter...... distributor.......hood handle....windshield wipers.......semaphors.........interior light........they are all different from the standard oval rag. The 25hp motor was shared with the '53 oval but all ovals after '53 had 36hp motors. There are many other things but these are the most obvious differences. Wink
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the term "Zwitter" no longer apply on a vert? Without the split back window there is nothing "split" about it. Confused

"Zwitter translated = hermaphrodite
hermaphrodite = a person or thing in which two opposite qualities are combined. i.e. split and oval."

Alot of 6 month only parts but not a Zwitter, Right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: