Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Barn find' stories what's your best find?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBSquarebackChick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my 71 square at an auction after setting for 15 years.Pics are in gallery Twisted Evil
num1bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My find wasnt that impressive, a 74 beetle that had been sitting in a field for a couple years. When I asked the owner how much he wanted for it and he simply said, "I'm going in the house for a minute, when I come out I want it gone" so I got a good base for building my baja bug with.

http://www.geenstijl.nl/paginas/mirror/20070215-pritt-mazda/index.html This isn't my find and its not all vw's in the "barn" but its quite impressive to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
I'm working on a deal to score my second barn find, a '66 Singlecab, from another 80+ year old owner.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I did score the '66 Singlecab from an old lady, been parked 27 years, she got it after her '62 Doublecab was rear-ended a second time (She drives a Diesel Benze 20 mph everywhere ) It took about 7 hours to get it out, I had to pull all 4 drums & remove the brake shoes, The barn stunk like mouse, and the house was worse " Shuddder" Shocked then I had to turn it 90 degrees by hand/Floor jack to get it out. It was about 85 out & 90 % Humidity, I was drenched.
I've known about the truck since '98 or so, she has a '68 Westy that was parked in her front yard, so when I checked it out, she showed me the SC, I've popped in from time to time to say hi, give her another card w/ my name on it ect., In Jan. '07 I looked at it w/ new eyes ('07 prices on old Type II's) and thought it looked great.
It does have some rotted out cross members & everything under it is crusty rusty, not rotted though.
Real nice old lady, really just wanted someone to talk too, and she sure did Shocked
The NSU is for sale, so far no takers....

Cleaned up nice, it was from a body shop, so the re-paint looks good, I've found cab floor patches & the toasted cross members, so far thats it.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
FranksMarket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: barnfind.... Reply with quote

with a yard like yours....... load up...
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

num1bum wrote:

http://www.geenstijl.nl/paginas/mirror/20070215-pritt-mazda/index.html This isn't my find and its not all vw's in the "barn" but its quite impressive to say the least.

Wow....That's a hell of a stash. I had a client in Amarillo, Tx a few years ago that bought a building (or two) that has been buying all kinds of 50's and 60's crap from all over the desert southwest and stashing em' too. Buying a big old building was cheaper than a clear open lot. Confused

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
num1bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108 wrote:
num1bum wrote:

Wow....That's a hell of a stash. I had a client in Amarillo, Tx a few years ago that bought a building (or two) that has been buying all kinds of 50's and 60's crap from all over the desert southwest and stashing em' too. Buying a big old building was cheaper than a clear open lot. Confused

kinda off topic, but do you happen to have pictures of your clients stash he found?
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any pics of his "stash" but I do have a pic of one of the "barn finds" and a few others I flipped. One was a rare 57' 2-door plymouth wagon. 318 c.u. accually started and drove. Looked rough.

This was taken ten years ago when I first got my Vanagon. Mann... the wife was pissed at me for loading up the driveway with "stuff". Laughing

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this an old black man that lived out in the country near a school? Just curious as my Mom lives in Henderson, NC. When I used to go visit her I would drive by this guys house and he had a nice collection of bugs and such. He even had a type 34! Also an oval in a barn/shed. He used to be a VW mechanic in the day so I heard. Nice old man. We call him Elvis.

dubshack1 wrote:
In 95 I lived and worked in Henderson NC,I would drive around and buy vw's or get them for free,I was a tow truck driver.People would give them to me just to clean up their yard.SO this story starts possibly in 90.I was driving around in my 68 bug that was the only lowered bug in Henderson at the time and came across a bus in a driveway,I stopped to talk with the owner because it didnt look like it had moved in years. He told me he was the original owner and used it to deliver news papers in Henderson and then used it to sell rugs at the local flea market and then parked it.It ran and he started it for me,it was a really good conversation,old memories and the such.So he said it wasn't for sale.I gave him my # and left.I would drive buy about once a year to try to buy it,but never for sale.So one day I am at work and in walks the owner of the bus,I had changed jobs since the last time I saw him so how he found me I never knew.He seemed like he was mad,but told me to come buy the house as soon as I could so we could talk.I left work and went there and the bus was moved out in front of the house and emptied out,the middle seat was insalled and had been washed. I know this seems a little sappy but he seemed like he was gonna cry.He told me since I was the only one that would come buy and talk with him and shared stories the I could buy the bus. He said he wanted only $800.I almost fell on the ground.So I went to the bank and got the cash.He gave me a bundle of recipts and repair history along with some extra parts.He said it was to nice to let sit any longer.So that is how I found a one owner 63 Kombi driver og paint with 63,000 miles for $800.All it took was listening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same guy,but you are referring to Mr Percy,he had the t34 that was wrecked,the oval and a bunch of other vw's . I picked him a few times,but I pretty much covered every back road from the VA line to Oxford. Another story,I found and stripped an early 23 window in Oxford,left the complete shell all doors still on it,I wonder if its still out there in the.woods?
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Percy. he is a nice old man, but he does not have much left anymore. He still has the oval and a few bugs newer than 72, but nothing older. He also still has the t34, but it is near a pond that is infested with snakes and weeds so damn tall that I would be afraid to go back there!!
A 23 in Oxford? I heard from a friend there is a man that had a few old busses and bugs but I could never get ahold of him. There is also a guy in Henderson that owns a split bug, but I could not find his place with the directions I had. not even sure if it was for sale, but would have been nice to find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a few spots in Henderson,I would love to get the split info from you if you were willing to share. I can turn you on to some of my spots as well. I went back a few months ago to try and find the 23 but so much has changed and.been built that I was unable to locate it,only had a few hours ,so next time I go I will allow more time,its been 18 yrs,but people in that area don't get rid of anything.
Frizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a barn find, but a decent score. A couple years ago I found a 67 Squareback. The ad said it had minor surface rust but was solid for $500. Went and looked at it and found a very rusty car. I ended up walking away. A couple days go b and the owner calls asking what I would give him for it. I said $200. He said come get it. So I picked it up, starting parting it out. Then I decided to swap interiors with my 71 Squareback. Ended up pulling a few more parts off of it, got it running and sold it for $375. Then a year later I resold it for the owner that bought it off me for $500. They gave me $100 bucks for that.
1974 Beetle
Present VW's
1971 Squareback
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my ultimate would be my '52 Zwitter deluxe- I was at a scrap yard in '06 or '07, and found a 60's Beetle rear bumper just sitting in the yard (No Beetle in the yard, however.) Bought it for $5, and while walking out with it, a guy driving out rolled down his window and said "Oh, you've got a VW?" I said I had a bunch of them, and he said he had a split window Beetle... this got my attention! Talked to him for a bit, he gave me his phone number and I arranged to take a look at it the weekend after. Went to look at the Beetle, he also had a '57 Ghia, a pair of 914s and a pile of bay window buses.

He rescued the Bug from a scrap yard in '67, and it had been sitting at his place in a barn since then. All the glass was smashed out and the engine was missing but the car was pretty solid... agreed to buy it for $1000. When confirming a pick up date him, he said he'd changed his mind.

Anyhow, fast forward a few years, and this same guy comes into my shop- turns out he's friends with my boss! So I harassed him every time he stopped in, and Christmas eve of last year he finally invited me over for a beer and a talk. Ended up trading my '72 Super project for the Zwitter. The only issue being the barn had collapsed on it a few years prior causing some roof damage.

Also ended up buying both of his 914s... all three are home safe in my possession now and he's happy with the super. Plus, the roof damage on the '52 popped out beautifully.

Now I just need to find some pieces for the Zwitter and build one Porsche out of the two!
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here was my first:
original paint complete 1960 double door standard. i think this was in 2001

this was more recent, earlier this year:
original paint 1966 walkthru standard microbus.

this one came from the same place tho it was on the side of the barn, not in it...

this was part of the same stash but i passed on it to a buddy. i was just too tired to pull any more cars.

]

but then there were these the next week...

now i am officially out of room.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

now i am officially out of room.

I feel your pain. My barn/garage/other garage/outside lot and shed have all reached critical mass.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last big Barn find in 2009 :

Story:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372746&highlight=barn

Most every thing is long gone/sold.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad found a 1950 Chevy 3100 truck early this year. Had been parked in the barn for years, and was only two miles from the house.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had one actual barn find, a 1974 Sunbug with a spare chassis and a truckload of parts for $125. We put a clutch in it and drove it for a couple years. That was back in 1991.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this would be considered a barn find too since there was a barn around it when I found it back in 1993. The roof at the back was damaged when it came down but it's still sitting on a wooden floor and the rest of it still looks pretty good. The plates ran out in 1963 and apparently it was put in the barn in 1969. I've been trying for the last 4 years when I took this picture to work out a deal and get it home.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
May25-1941
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I built a Kubelwagen Kopy,without the expense of purchasing one built from a manufacturer,or buying panels & parts from The Czech Republic.
It cost me only $300 for the body parts,& $500 for the donor VW. My build was photographed as I proceeded.
Now completed & running,it passes for an original for a War-buff up to 50 feet away.Close inspection reveals the differences to an original Kubelwagen.
My body-panels are the 'Front-Panels' from old Ford ( one-ton )PU boxes.It takes 'nine' to construct the main body (minus hood).Hood is an easy build.It has a German Luftwaffe plate ( WL 250541 )....my birthdate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: