Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color sand and Buffing Explained
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread...but I'm a video guy myself....
I found these...

Link

Link

Jamerco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Adding more coats of clear. Reply with quote

MK

Can I recoat the existing clear I had just applied? I have two coats of clear.

Note it is Two Stage Paint job.
mdwman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '60 Beetle was painted by the PO probably about 13 years ago. It has held up well without fading and looks great from 15 feet. However, up close there is some very light orange peel in spots, some places that seem dull, and a couple runs. I've been thinking I could use this process to really improve the appearance but I have some reservations. The paint job was not done in a professional shop but, I believe in an enthusiast's garage. I presume it was a single stage paint and have no idea how many coats. I wanted to get an opinion on whether to color sand and take a chance there is sufficient paint there, or if there is a buffing compound that I should just stick with. I really can't spring for new paint if I were to burn through. Also, I know sanding is the only way to take care of the runs and I read somewhere on here about a special sanding block for this type work but can't find it again. Can anyone enlighten me?

Finally, I am asking Santa for a buffer. What are the pros and cons of the randon orbital models over the others. Seems some of the newer random orbital jobs operate at high rpms.

Thanks for any tips.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeHugger63 wrote:
I heard that if you color sanded between coats of paint it would make the finish deeper. Is that true? Great info on here, thanx!

Just curious, TH

I'm curious about this as well. It seems everyone always skips over this...Is it an urban myth? Matt K?

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Adding more coats of clear. Reply with quote

Jamerco wrote:
MK

Can I recoat the existing clear I had just applied? I have two coats of clear.

Note it is Two Stage Paint job.

Yes, you can sand it down and re clear. This process is called " flow coating" This process adds depth and added protection to the basecoat. I use this process to bury flame jobs and graphics...
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoop Bob wrote:
TreeHugger63 wrote:
I heard that if you color sanded between coats of paint it would make the finish deeper. Is that true? Great info on here, thanx!

Just curious, TH

I'm curious about this as well. It seems everyone always skips over this...Is it an urban myth? Matt K?

No sir, not a myth!...Re clearing adds depth to both solid and metallics. If it is a one color job....say black...i will sand down the clear with 800 grit...re tape and paper it and add two to three coats of clear. Then i like to wait a week or two before i color sand and buff.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt K. wrote:
Snoop Bob wrote:
TreeHugger63 wrote:

Just curious, TH

No sir, not a myth!...Re clearing adds depth to both solid and metallics. If it is a one color job....say black...i will sand down the clear with 800 grit...re tape and paper it and add two to three coats of clear. Then i like to wait a week or two before i color sand and buff.

Will this work for Single Stage?
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I think what he is asking and what I have heard is that as you paint you spray one coat let dry...color sand...another coat...let dry...color sand and so on until desired then clear coat sand and buff. Or even paint complete...color sand...then clear coat...sand and buff. Any insight on those?

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
Matt K. wrote:
Snoop Bob wrote:
TreeHugger63 wrote:

Just curious, TH

Will this work for Single Stage?

I really do not see many people do that with single stage......it is mostly done with basecoat/clearcoat.
kombipode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Block Sanding Techniques Reply with quote

Matt K. wrote:
( note on blocks: make sure that the block face is flat and solid without any small holes because the holes will leave marks in the paint)

This is a good webpage I found to show how important the sanding technique and the custom sanding-block shapes (and materials used to make them) are for differing areas of the body panels and trims. These guys at JeffLilly:

http://www.jefflilly.com/Fabrication/Fabrication-F/block-sanding/index.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Block Sanding Techniques Reply with quote

kombipode wrote:
Matt K. wrote:
( note on blocks: make sure that the block face is flat and solid without any small holes because the holes will leave marks in the paint)

This is a good webpage I found to show how important the sanding technique and the custom sanding-block shapes (and materials used to make them) are for differing areas of the body panels and trims. These guys at JeffLilly:

http://www.jefflilly.com/Fabrication/Fabrication-F/block-sanding/index.html

They aren't cheap either, but then again quality is going to cost.

http://www.jefflilly.com/Cost_Faq/cost.html

Quote:
This Silver Karmann Ghia came to us in very rough and rusty condition and it costs 85K for us to perform the labor to complete it. Keep in mind that a vehicles overall condition and the amount of original or custom parts needed varies so comparing a project to another one will more then likely be inaccurate.

kombipode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. Lots of rich Texans for clients I bet. That was 85K just for labour!

You could buy a fitted workshop for your project at that price?
scottmk5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could recoat single stage (acryl enamel) with either clear and or another coat of the same acry enamel after color sanding and buffing if it gets to thin as in it was a backyard paint job that is presumably thin (maybe 2 coats) and if you can which would be better clear or acry enamel assuming it wasnt burned through the color as you couldnt just clear if that was the case. Also would like to add metalic is it possible to add metallic in with clear over a single stage paint lite pink I call it pepto bismol pink (wifes car) she wants silver metalic over I didnt know if it was possible with totally repainting

Thanks Josh
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a good remedy to getting rid of. Buffing marks on black paint bc cc , I seem to be having this problem lately. Tanks for any input
TheLoren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1970 bus with original red underneath and an ugly yellow that's peeling in places. could I sand the yellow off and use this process to make the red shine? what grit sandpaper would be best to take the yellow off?
(I'm not looking for show quality I just want to get rid of the ugly yellow and have something that looks ok.)
deaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: painter Reply with quote

ok all, of course there are many methods, so this is my experience.
i work for a custom paint shop as lead painter, ghost flames to insurance work. i also paint airplanes, rotorcraft, boats, etc..
single stage is used for original restorations. base/clear is "new".
solid colors can be buffed...with enought paint on..at least four coats is safe advice i feel so you wont burn through. your result will be a deep "waxy" look, highly valued at classic shows.
if you have metallic single stage however your dealing with flat flakes of metal in the paint. when you color sand you are essentialy cutting the edges of and you will end up with a dull sheen...
no way around it.
sanding single stage and re-clearing will result in poor adhesion and 1-5 years later you will be re-shooting. base clear is the most common paint job now and unless our clients request otherwise, its what they get.
unlike enamel, the more clear the more prone to chipping.
quality paint jobs are usually 2 coats of etch primer, 4-6 coats of high build primer, 2 coats of sealer, 4 coats of base and 3 even coats of clear.
the buffing procedures outlined in earlier posts are quite accurate.
if you want more clear, (custom paint layout or layers) one color is shot, and cleared, allowed to cure, sanded with 600, another layout shot, then cleared...etc.....this is to reduce hardlines in the paint, and control chipping).

finally, to add any tips, when buffing show jobs, runs, dirt, etc...are removed with a nib file (mac or snap on trucks should all carry them..about 10 to 25 dollars...) then sanded with 800 and a spray bottle ( i use an acrylic block about 2 by 4 ") and moved up through 2000.
then you buff 3m with a wool pad, moving through buffing compound, and fine compound, and finishing with a fine foam pad (blue 3m) and finishing compound. an entire car should take about 4-6 hours.
i have worked for large high volume insurance shops, and high end custom shops as i moved up in my career, and most shops follow these procedures....
hope this helps!
oh and finally, most painters are more than happy to offer advise and tips at no charge, so take your baby down and ask!
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...
Question for the experts here..
My paint is at least 5 years old, a Maaco job.
They ended up painting the car twice, as the first time thru was un-acceptable. I am pretty sure all they did was knock down the bad areas, and re-squirt the car. I also told them I was going to wet sand/ buff the car, so they were to put a little more paint on specifically with that purpose in mind..
Can you ( or should you) clear coat at this juncture, before sand/polish? Or just go ahead and sand / polish?

>Click< to see my stuff for sale
Ganret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on sanding my primer/sealer with 600, then applying base, and then clear.

My question is: what if you get a lot of orange peel in the base? Do you sand that down before shooting the clear, or just shoot the clear and sand it down?

Which makes me wonder why they call it "color sanding" when it really seems to be "clear sanding" (just wondering if I'm missing something).

Thanks for the great thread and info.
IncaBug76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to share, here's the system I use.

1) 3M #2022 1500 W/D Half Sheet (By hand, wet, using a firm block on flat panels, and a flexible block on rounded areas)

2) Mirka's Abralon 2000 Grit Foam Disc (By machine, moist, to remove the 1500 grit scratches, this process is fast. 30-45 seconds per 2ft x 2ft area)

3) Mirka's Abralon 4000 Grit Foam Disc (By machine, moist, to remove the 2000 grit scratches, this process is fast. 30-45 seconds per 2ft x 2ft area)

4) 3M #6060 Rubbing Compound (Used with a white foam compounding pad #5723. The 4000 grit scratch is so fine the compounding process is faster and cleaner)

5) 3M #6085 Machine Glaze (Used with a black foam polishing pad #5725)

6) 3M #6005 Premium Wax (Wax on, Wax off)
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 3M Perfect It system to color sand and buff my car and all I can say is that it turned an OK paint job into a WOW paint job!!!!! You first color sand the car with 3000 grit and then use three different buff pads and three different polishes. Finish with Imperial hand glaze..... No swirl marks....NONE. Keep in mind this is BLACK. Shocked

Single stage Limco 3 with the 3M Perfect It buff job.

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: