Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 30hp fuel pump tinware Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
^^Thanks

30hp pump drip tray tinware...two versions
Which is early?
When was the change?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one on the left with no long channel is 25hp I think. 36hp has a channel.

Last edited by nlorntson on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

I have the channelled tin on a 56/7 engine.

Last edited by RockStock on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 30hp fuel pump tinware Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
^^Thanks

30hp pump drip tray tinware...two versions
Which is early?
When was the change?

I don't see this listed in Progressive Refinements but I do believe this extended into 1954 for some time (at least)

The left one is earlier.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

The one on the left is what is on my November 54
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

I have a January 55 with the smooth cup
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

Well that's crappy for me; the piece I have had the groove. Glad to have seen this. I guess I get to spend even more on engine tin! Lucky me.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
1sqr2nv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

My car is a May of 55. I believe everything to be somewhat original. The engine is set up with late 55/56 tin etc.. Is this set up correct?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

^Someone may know straight off, but you could start with verifying your engine number/date.
Then can research using Progressive Refinements/Engine section (ie look for top pulley nut size reduction note, or oil filler pipe design change note)
http://oacdp.org/progref4061.html
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: 30hp plug lead pipe clamps Reply with quote

Drip tray, thanks for chiming in with your versions & dates. Useful - plse add to this, anyone.

Here's another good one
Plug lead pipe clamps...two versions

Early version (right/bottom) has a weld nut on the back bracket with a precise machine screw similar to (but longer than) a tinware screw. These are on my June 54 engine.

Late version, no weldnut, traditional screw. Smaller hole on front bracket.

As usual, early version is nicer! When was the change?

You can tell which version you have by looking at the screw head. Is it shallow and rounded, or deeper and square shouldered?
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

1sqr2nv wrote:
My car is a May of 55. I believe everything to be somewhat original. The engine is set up with late 55/56 tin etc.. Is this set up correct?

I don't think it is original. I believe your engine should resemble a 54 engine in May of 55, not the 56/57 which it appears to be.
Pulleys are different, big nut, fuel pump, regulator should be round. But the best way to check would be looking in the progressive refinements. But please get that fuel filter out of the engine bay.

Rock stock. Way to go. Now I need to find older versions of those little plug wire tube clamps. Crying or Very sad

Here's my shameless plea for both the under fuel pump tin and those clamps if anyone has extra.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

LadyBug, I know you are very particular, but you could easily modify the plug wire clamps to resemble the other version. Just trying help you

They could also be swapped out later if needed...driving these cars is more fun then building them Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
LadyBug, I know you are very particular, but you could easily modify the plug wire clamps to resemble the other version. Just trying help you

They could also be swapped out later if needed...driving these cars is more fun then building them Very Happy

Every time she looks at them she'll know they aren't correct. She has to be able to sleep at night. I think that's admirable.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

I never said it wasn't admirable...but if these clamps cause someone to lose sleep (not saying that's the case) they need real help.

I would also rather run an incorrect part then my car be undriveable...not that these clamps would stop the car from running.
1sqr2nv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
1sqr2nv wrote:

I don't think it is original. I believe your engine should resemble a 54 engine in May of 55, not the 56/57 which it appears to be.
Pulleys are different, big nut, fuel pump, regulator should be round. But the best way to check would be looking in the progressive refinements. But please get that fuel filter out of the engine bay.

Rock stock. Way to go. Now I need to find older versions of those little plug wire tube clamps. Crying or Very sad

Here's my shameless plea for both the under fuel pump tin and those clamps if anyone has extra.

[code]My engine number is 1082913
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
txoval wrote:

Every time she looks at them she'll know they aren't correct. She has to be able to sleep at night. I think that's admirable.

See, I frequently don't sleep at night so I do lay in bed thinking about the car. Last night my kids slept awesome so naturally I was wide awake with allergies. Thinking about finding more stuff for the car. It's half the fun is the excitement when you find what you're looking for. Laughing
I considered adding the speednut to the clamps I have. I assume it's m6.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

I'd imagine M6 would be too big for that one...probably M5

Oops, the OP said similar to tin screws, so M6

Last edited by txoval on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

m6 x 1mm pitch
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
I have a January 55 with the smooth cup

My old 1/55 Bus had the smooth fuel pump tin too.
This is later than I would have thought but it was the original engine with most of the other original parts too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

[quote="TheLadyBug"][quote="3foldfolly"][quote="txoval"]

See, I frequently don't sleep at night so I do lay in bed thinking about the car.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

See, I frequently don't sleep at night so I do lay in bed thinking about the car.

Omg this is exactly me.
It's 4am here. Shocked

I hope I don't need to be certified as crazy.
I think I'm going to tackle adding the m6 weldnut to the clamps. Can I assume that the weldnut faces out? Can I see one up close actually in place?
2016 Golf R - my daily
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 32

Jump to: