Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rotisserie
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
I like mine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know this is an ancient post but:

The Shopping Cart Transaxle Fixture® is awesome.
John Pedersen 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

I made this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeUgQXe2AsU
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Personally, I think it would be easier to build with metric dimensions and a metric tape measure. One can get a metric tape measure just about anywhere in the USA...in fact.....I've got one that's in a green case made by a company that typically makes measuring tapes graduated in feet and inches.

Mine is graduated in meters, decimeters, centimeters and millimeters. It's in a green case so I don't pick up the wrong tape measure.

Did I say it was in a green case? Yeah, that's the one. It also has embossed on the lower side that from the back of the tape measure case to the front of the tape measure case is......wait for it........ 3". Smile
Jimb0w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm happy to see my rotisserie design is helpful for many of you. I have thanks from all over the world for sharing the drawings !

Many people ask me to convert mm to inches, it's quite easy in my CAD software, but what is the most practical quotation for you ? shall I put fractional or numerical numbers ?

something like for example :
228mm => 8 31/32 inches or is 8.97inches notation easy to use too ?
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Just wanted to respond and thank Jimb0w for responding to my question about his tipper cart design. Since I was in the middle of building my cart I had to guess at the size of the wheels based on the pictures and drawings in his previous posts. The wheels I had were free. They came off of several trash dumpsters and my friend wanted them out of the garage. I actually finished the cart before he responded and that was all right it worked out. When I get started on something its hard to stop. I did make some changes to the design which I think were an improvement. Jimb0w's wheels were 300mm ( 11 13/16 inches) I guessed 10 3/4 (275mm). My wheels were 7 11/16 (200mm) so I had to change the height of the bar holding the wheels by approx 3 inches. The rear end of Jimb0w's design is easy to adjust. Moving the bar that the wheels are attached to doesn't affect any of the measurements of the design you simply move it vertically ( up or down ). I finished the rear end of the cart first . I kept all the dimensions per Jimb0w's design, I just moved them 3 in. down to compensate for my free shorter wheels. I did use a different plate that attaches the rear cart to the bus. I used sgellis's plate drawing and increased the size of the plate to 8"x9". That moved the cart more toward the center of the wheel well and would give me more room to work in that area. After the rear was done I laid it down on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and traced it out , that was the only way I could make sure that the front and rear would 'tip' evenly. I added 3 inches to the only vertical section (275mm) of the front of Jimb0w's design. That made the piece that the wheels attach to (the 1542mm piece) much shorter. I just followed the tracing of the rear for all the horizonal front measurements. When I finished it worked pretty good. it tips easily on a 45 by myself. Was unable to tip to 90deg buy myself. My garage door opening is 82 1/2 in. which is standard I think and the bus on the cart is 79in. I can tip the bus inside the garage and moves easily outside when the weather is good . Cost for the 2x2 x 1/8 and plate was 270$. Would recommend increasing the 4x4 (100mm)plates to 4x6 easier for bolts to fit and increase the size to 10mm. I did make the top arms(front Section) removable via plates and bolts, easier on the head when underneath and easier on the thigh when passing by. Also I knew I had to replace the doglegs on my bus (less crap to work around). I also made one of the vertical sections (275mm piece) removable via plates and bolts, it made getting it on and off so much easier than if it was one welded piece. Thanks again for the drawings
Jimb0w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Hi ! the total height of the wheels is 300mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

I am trying to build Jimb0w tipper cart. Will need the total height of the wheels as that is critical to the success of the design. Measurement should include the metal that holds the rubber wheels. If the wheels are to short the metal which is at a 45 degree will not get close enough to the wheels or that metal will scrape or the wheels won’t touch the ground. If anyone has tried to build this please chime in. I am working on the rear component of the rotisserie. If I change the rear the front will need to changed because it has to tip evenly. Thanks for any help.
boulderz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Hi, I came here for the same reason as the poster above! Wondering if anyone has a rotisserie they are done with and want to sell. I’m in Vermont, willing to travel a bit or investigate shipping. Just trying to save a little time and not reinvent the octagonal wheel..

Thanks
VWBulli512
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Is anyone of you in Germany selling their Rotisserie?
1964 T1

Thanks,
Alex
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

I had solid wheels on my rotisserie and they didn't maneuver well at all. When turning they left marks on the pavers.They did hold up unlike Gordo's to a short road trip Very Happy .

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Jimb0w, I love that your rotisserie is also a dolly. I've been following this youtube channel below called marcijunebug for a while now and yesterday's update was nice to see although marcijunebug has a huge carport to support her method I like that your's is so mobile. Keep up the great work.

Link

Jimb0w wrote:
Hello ! After several months of use, I'm really happy with it, and currently, i'm working for the most part at 45 degrees on both sides. Adding a big plate as reinforcement was a good thing, because there is no warping when i rotate the bus at 90 degrees.
Being able to switch from one side to the other in less than 5 minutes is also very usefull, and even if the alignement of everything wasn't easy, that's a nice option, which make it also very easy to transport.

Maybe the point to improve are the wheels. When i started the project, I was working on sand that's why i wanted pneumatic wheels, but now that i'm in a barn, rigid ones should be better for moving, and also rotating ones at the rear.

The reason why I made it wide and high was to be able to rotate the bus alone, and have place when working on it. An other important point is the stability, improved if you have a large contact area Wink

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Yes rigid wheels are better for a cement floor.

But, they are not very good on a road trip.

That was after a short road trip from body guy's house to my shop. That stopped traffic for photo opps with the Bus.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Jimb0w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Hello ! After several months of use, I'm really happy with it, and currently, i'm working for the most part at 45 degrees on both sides. Adding a big plate as reinforcement was a good thing, because there is no warping when i rotate the bus at 90 degrees.
Being able to switch from one side to the other in less than 5 minutes is also very usefull, and even if the alignement of everything wasn't easy, that's a nice option, which make it also very easy to transport.

Maybe the point to improve are the wheels. When i started the project, I was working on sand that's why i wanted pneumatic wheels, but now that i'm in a barn, rigid ones should be better for moving, and also rotating ones at the rear.

The reason why I made it wide and high was to be able to rotate the bus alone, and have place when working on it. An other important point is the stability, improved if you have a large contact area Wink

StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Very nice Jimbow, thanks for sharing.

As I'm planning on making one in the near future, is there anything you would change to it afterwards?
It seems for example that also adding swivelwheels in the back would help manouvrability?
I'm also thinking of making it a bit smaller, so it is not that wide

Cheers
Jimb0w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Starting something new to share my panel project :

Link

and as several people asked me on thesamba, all drawings of my rotisserie are available here :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U2rrXX19iUVmOLirkAxg0nYiwSPcdXSS
Wink
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Jimbos rotisserie above would not stay on its side safely IMHO. The vertical sections begin too high and are too far from the body (however which is good if you want to get tools between them and the side)

This one is my design from back in the day. See my 45's you'll understand what i mean. It lays down nicely and does balance on the 45s too. Search my gallery posts for more design dimensions.

aeLiXihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Quote:
Rotisserie #3
DXF Autocad file by user aeLiXihr
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bus_rotisserie/kantelraam.dxf

here are the pic's

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

From Van Bebber Brothers, in Petaluma, CA. All loaded up and ready to roll home.

Wholly inspired by glideking. I've seen rollers and rotisseries numerous times before, always yearned for one, never got the fire lit under my a** to move on it...until now. As it has been for several amongst us, glideking's "Funky" thread - and videos - have stirred up heaps of enthusiasm to get going on our projects.

I e-mailed Kurt for the tipoff on Van Bebber. For anyone fabbing a Bus roller in the S.F. Bay Area, Van Bebber is the only place, hands down. Master Metals, in my own backyard, was about $350 more than V.B. in Petaluma. Other shops in Hayward, Oakland, and Stockton, were even higher. These were just under $500, out the door. So well worth the two hour drive north, across the Golden Gate.

I've gotta pull my Bus out of storage and get it home, then I can start fabbing. These will be a bit different: my hoops will have segmented top sections, with removable segments, so that I can roll the whole project out of the garage when I want to. Otherwise, the hoops won't clear the header, and I'll be hemmed in for the duration of my project...which based on my history, could be a while!

Just wanted to check in, share my experience, and bump this thread!
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

I built one using sgellis' design. It works great. I had to make some mods (like wrapping hockey tape around the bars so it doesn't slide all over my floor).

details are on my build thread here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432723&start=300
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimb0w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Thanks ! Yes I will tip it over, but I'm home alone this week, and need some extra-muscles ! Very Happy
I think it's gonna be ok with curving, the renforcement part is made of 10mm thick plate. But the 45 degree rotation is quite good to work underneath, I can flip it alone.
It's a bit scary the first time you rotate it, even more because that's my firsts big structure welds !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: