Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is a good size compressor?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
p.e.i.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: What is a good size compressor? Reply with quote

I am looking to buy myself a compressor to run a sander and maybe a hand held sand blaster for my garage. I want to do a little body work on my van. I was wondering what would be a good stup for the first time hobbyist.
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much cfm as you can afford.
I have worked with a pancake ,
I would not recomend it
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
blarneyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger the better! With sanding and painting in mind, I wouldn't go any less than a 5 hp dual stage with a 60 gal tank. I'm sure there are some guys here that know more than me. Eh?
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge price jump when you get to the $800 mark with compressors. The next step up seems to jump to $1500-1600. Go with the biggest you can afford.
i_want_a_pre_49_ratbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will be suprised to find out how much air tools really consume 1 of my portable compressors is a 6 hp 220 volt 33 gallon tank & it can barely keep up with a professional DA sander i have tried 2 small compressors hooked together..
my main compressor is something i threw together.. i picked up a vintage 80 gallon tank in good shape made from heavy gauge metal 5 hp motor & a 4 cylinder pump...
& im personally debating about a pancake compressor to leave in the vehicle for running impact wrench & inflating tires & possibly air drill or die grinder
if you want to sanblast & use a DA & other high consuming air tools try to get something close to 20cfm at 90 or better... just an opinion.. but it will make life easier & you wont work compressor to death & it will reward you with longer life & you wont be wasting time waiting for compressor build up
Randy
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 20 gal. and I wish that I would have gone bigger. It's nice that it is some what portable, but it just doesn't keep up with the bigger tools (D/A sander, cut-off wheel,etc.)
harryset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the eyeball out on a 7hp (peak), 60 gal unit that is on sale at home depot. $449, can't quite make the $800 market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was growing up a friend had a weird homemade 1 it used a water pressure cut off set for 80 psi washing machine motor & a compressor from a 18 wheeler belt driven & it was hooked to a 18 wheeler air tank...... hated that thing but it worked fine for light duty work.. also have been into shops that have picked up a few extra cheap compressors that had blown motors & hooked them up to their good 1 for more air storage...
it takes longer to pump up yes but longer to run down & will let you go longer between stopping to wait till pumps up
i have seen many home made ones.. but get a correct pressure switch & good quality gauge so can set pressure
craziest set up i seen is guy had compressor under his workbench.. but no tank i go behind his shop & he had like 10 propane tanks hooked together for volume he had his shut off set for 125psi... which should be dangerous but he got by but im not condoning doing this.. i also seen freaon tanks used but they are really not safe

like i said i built mine but i used good parts i bought a used 4 cylinder pump freshly rebuild for $275 a 80 gallon tank old style way thicker than new tanks cant dent with hand would break your hand...for $50 & 5hp electric industrial 220 volt motor for $100 forgot how much i paid for switch & gauge & belt been a few years.... & also plumbing from pump to tank
Randy
p.e.i.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I didn't quite know where to start!
renderit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 2 stage "black" Craftsman "professional" last year on sale. It is decent and quiet but to be honest it is not big enough for a lot of air tools. Shoots paint fine but even a rachet gives it fits.
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryset wrote:
I've had the eyeball out on a 7hp (peak), 60 gal unit that is on sale at home depot. $449, can't quite make the $800 market.

This compressor will be fine for 90% of the tools you want to run. It will just need time to catch up. You could save the compressor a lot of strain and buy a PC 7424 or 3663 electric d/a. They both work pretty well for an electric d/a.
jwvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Craftsman Gold 6hp 25G. Works well for most things but the sandblaster needs way more air than it can make. Sprays well with HVLP but as has been said before, I would buy larger in hind sight.
I also bought the PC 7424 6" sander, great machine. Team that with a good 4" RO palmsander and you have all the sanding capability you need.
JW
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy an oilless air compresser.
southmaincustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 8.5 horse 80 gal. Ingersol and that can't even keep up with two DA's. I think you should look long term. This is a tool, that if you buy the right one, will be with you until you die. Like every one else said Buy BIG! and don't buy oilless....If you can't afford at least an $800 one, save your money and buy an $800 one (at least) The rest is garbage if you have any kind of real auto use for it. It won't last. I know, I burnt out a few.
67 Baja Bug
70 914
78 924
98 GTI VR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple ideas.. look for air tool rebuilder in your area... see if they will throw a compressor together for you.... they always seem to have extra parts laying about & possibly can rebuild the parts & make you a very good deal.. that is how i got my big compressor.. & he was a neighbor of 1 of my good friends
also put an ad in paper.. my new job they just picked up a 10hp 3phase 120 gallon tank & im excited to see what it will do he paid $1000 just got it wired in couple days ago now got to plumb it...
& as far as electric da sanders.. yes they work pretty good i have the porta cable brand somewhere.. still prefer the air models though but for a homeowner not doing much work they would do fine. air da sanders are 1 of the biggest air consumers i know of besides sandblasters
Randy
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 60 gal 220v single stage compressor has a hard time pushing a DA..i use an electric orbital sander...takes a little longer but its quiet (no compressor running constantly)...the compressor does okay with my 40 gallon sandblaster (i need to let the compressor catch up a couple times/tank of media)...the compressor has no problem keeping up with me when i do primer work (there are lots of stops in my painting work)...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_want_a_pre_49_ratbeetle wrote:
couple ideas.. look for air tool rebuilder in your area... see if they will throw a compressor together for you.... they always seem to have extra parts laying about & possibly can rebuild the parts & make you a very good deal.. that is how i got my big compressor.. & he was a neighbor of 1 of my good friends
also put an ad in paper.. my new job they just picked up a 10hp 3phase 120 gallon tank & im excited to see what it will do he paid $1000 just got it wired in couple days ago now got to plumb it...
& as far as electric da sanders.. yes they work pretty good i have the porta cable brand somewhere.. still prefer the air models though but for a homeowner not doing much work they would do fine. air da sanders are 1 of the biggest air consumers i know of besides sandblasters
Randy

You are still going to be surprised how much that 10hp runs to run a d/a......
partonkevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a couple of air compressors. The 60 gal 10cfm unit for $450 =/- paints well. It will run my D/A all day. Just when it starts to give out, it's time to change the paper. I never notice it struggling. Runs a cutoff tool pretty well. Especially when you consider all the repositioning you will likely be doing. Sandblaster? well...it struggles. Small parts in a blast cabinet is okay. If you are trying to do a whole car you can rent a gasoline powered compressor that pulls behind a car. One day and some abrasive and you can do a lot of damage!

I couldn't afford the $1300 compressor I really wanted, so I was eyeing the $550 and below. I picked up a used one for $275. If I can run across another one I'm thinking of sitting the side-by-side and connecting the outputs through check valves and shutoff valves. 2x10CFM=20CFM and that should be enough and I could just run one for smaller projects. I'm already halfway there Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gabe321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I've sand blasted and painted my 66 beetle with a 8 gallon Cambell air compressor which I bought at Walmart for $225 on sale past Summer. It did the job and it did it well, just had to wait to reload but it wasn't a big deal. Cool
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple biggies, old three phase dual stage Ingersoll-Rands, good stuff and stupid-expensive!

If you're not sandblasting you don't need that much air, don't let the guys who do this all day every day scare ya!

For around $400 buy a 5 horsepower 30 gallon single stage portable, that's about the biggest compressor you can run on 117 volt single phase power. I really like a good portable to run off a generator at the track plus on more than one occaison I've done "house calls" with it when the customer had the body off the chassis over their place or something.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: