Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Ghia bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

one more
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

I think I've seen you driving around the highlands. I had the white convertible Ghia. Welcome.

I think the issue with SS bumpers from Harrington is for the early style ones, not the fat chick bumpers. Glad to hear the last model ones fit.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Mscdman wrote:
I think I've seen you driving around the highlands. I had the white convertible Ghia. Welcome.

I think the issue with SS bumpers from Harrington is for the early style ones, not the fat chick bumpers. Glad to hear the last model ones fit.

That would be correct - no angled attachment points!
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Looks like you needed to add the black tape/impact strip?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Hello all, I have read this entire thread, and sounds like I was lucky before I made any purchases. I have a 71 Vert, body off resto that I am beginning to reassemble, and have been thinking about new bumpers. It doesn't look like any real positive opinions have been posted about these SS bumpers, so I will hold off and perhaps see if I can find a good re-chromer in the VA/MD/DC area and keep my originals (any recommended companies?) All these forums are great, thanks everyone for your expertise and opinions!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Hello all, I have read this entire thread, and sounds like I was lucky before I made any purchases. I have a 71 Vert, body off resto that I am beginning to reassemble, and have been thinking about new bumpers. It doesn't look like any real positive opinions have been posted about these SS bumpers, so I will hold off and perhaps see if I can find a good re-chromer in the VA/MD/DC area and keep my originals (any recommended companies?) All these forums are great, thanks everyone for your expertise and opinions!

I am also in Northern Virginia. I looked all the way down to Richmond, north into MD and west to Winchester. I could not find a rechroming shop that had good reviews on the internet. This was several years ago so perhaps something has changed. I am thinking there must be something down around Newport News where FantomWorks is based. They must get their rechroming somewhere. You might want to try contacting them. If you find a shop please let me know. Another option is to try contacting White Post Restorations out in White Post, VA, who do high end restorations.

I had a positive experience with the SS bumpers on my 71. They were not a perfect fit and required some tweaks but I got them installed and they look good.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bro. Yeah I will check around. There is a restoration shop in Woodbridge that I have contacted to see if they can recommend anyone they use, so when/if I get an answer I will send back. Good to hear your SS bumpers worked out, but I have so much reassembly to do, I don't feel like trying to modify something I pay over $1k for that should fit correctly. Love the area you live, hope to cruise out that way again soon in my Vert!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Here is a quote from Van Nuys Plating for a bumper that was really rough!

2 bumper ends $300.00 each
1 bumper center $275.00
2 guards $150 each
3 pc overider tubes $200.00 set
5% environmental surcharge added to the total
ETA 4 weeks

14611 Bessemer St
Van Nuys, CA 91411
Phone: 818-785-5885
E-Mail: [email protected]

Here is a quote from Restoration Chrome...

Hi - the estimate to redo your parts will be around $1150 and shipping. If you are interested you can send the parts to the address below along with your name, address, phone number, email and what it is you are sending in and we will contact you, or you can call the number below. Please make sure all brackets, bolts, license plates, etc are removed before shipping and please do not use packaging peanuts. Thank you

Restoration Chrome
11610 N Morrill DR
Mead WA 99021
509-939-3447

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

CerveloMikey wrote:
Here is a quote from Van Nuys Plating for a bumper that was really rough!

2 bumper ends $300.00 each
1 bumper center $275.00
2 guards $150 each
3 pc overider tubes $200.00 set
5% environmental surcharge added to the total
ETA 4 weeks

14611 Bessemer St
Van Nuys, CA 91411
Phone: 818-785-5885
E-Mail: [email protected]

Here is a quote from Restoration Chrome...

Hi - the estimate to redo your parts will be around $1150 and shipping. If you are interested you can send the parts to the address below along with your name, address, phone number, email and what it is you are sending in and we will contact you, or you can call the number below. Please make sure all brackets, bolts, license plates, etc are removed before shipping and please do not use packaging peanuts. Thank you

Restoration Chrome
11610 N Morrill DR
Mead WA 99021
509-939-3447

Do they repair any dents and dings in your bumpers ? Kind of important if your spending that kind of $$$

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:

Do they repair any dents and dings in your bumpers ? Kind of important if your spending that kind of $$$

I sent them photos of the bumper. They straighten them, fix holes and repair the broken bolts. I don't think anyone would chrome over dents!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

CerveloMikey wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:

I sent them photos of the bumper. They straighten them, fix holes and repair the broken bolts. I don't think anyone would chrome over dents!

It's funny you should say that about fixing holes and chroming over dents. I took a batch of parts to Van Nuys Plating years ago when I was restoring my 1966 convertible. I asked if they could fill the holes on the front bumper piece where the previous owner had mounted the license plate, they said "no problem." They did such a poor job that I could see big divots where they had attempted to fill the holes. I guess I should have been more clear and asked if they could fill the holes and not make it obvious that there had been holes there previously. They also destroyed my rear-view mirror by prying out the glass and leaving all kinds of ripples around the edges and they chrome plated the housing when it should have been polished because it's aluminum.

Good Luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vr6this1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Hey all just tried putting bumpers on my ghia today and seems a little small/short? they look great and went together pretty well. The holes all seem to meet ok but the ends don't wrap around the front corners very well..

is there a difference in american and euro sizes? styles?
looks like mine is around 62in and sg bumper is 58in?

I have a 68 ghia, hopefully I can send back or swap for difference size?

I got them from SG bumpers about a week ago, and help or suggestions?

thanks!

kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

See the post on June 21st 2016 on this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8122345#8122345 ...Same problem. User found a fix, all be it for the Euro version.
It may help.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

^Yeah, that's me. Vr6this1 is having the same issues I had. Basically the bumper has too much arc, which makes it too short (you can see it in the comparison photos in his post). It's fixable, the bumper just needs to be persuaded to flatten out that arc some...hopefully that post helps describe what to do. Good luck.
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Purchased some bumpers direct from Harrington late last year, just got around to fitting the front one. After reading 32 pages on this thread kind of knew what to expect Smile

Yes the angles on the 8mm wing bolts were way off and a completely different angle.

I fitted the bumper up loose and marked what angle i needed from the wing in tape on the bumper piece then went to the vice.
With longer 8mm bolt in 30 secs later and tentatively the angles looked good fitted back up everything seems ok.

So a few days of head scratchin and giggling I am pretty pleased, but why they dont make with correct angles is beyond me.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

I am doing the bodywork on my ghia resto and most of the repro panels need modification to make them fit (some significantly). Given the amount you pay for them it would be nice if they fit properly without modification but they don't, however you can make them fit ok after a bit of screwing around.

I put the stainless repro bumpers into the same category. NOS body panels are better than repro panels and rechromed original bumpers are better than stainless repro bumpers, but you need to be able to justify the $$$$ and for many of us the repro option is a more cost effective solution despite the issues.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

My half penny's worth....
Despite all the previous I too pulled the trigger in full knowledge of the issues.

I ordered a set of Euro style for my lowlight and they arrived well packaged about 3 weeks after placing the order.

Here you can see the afore mentioned fault with the angle of the front corner mount, seen here compared with my original.

And as advised a little pressure using an adjustable spanner as a lever and the mount itself flexes without affecting the outer surface.

And now it should fit. We will see in a few days.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

kgj wrote:
Despite all the previous I too pulled the trigger in full knowledge of the issues.

I take it these are the PTT stainless (helen_nguyen) and not the Harrington version.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Harrington.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
kgj wrote:

I take it these are the PTT stainless (helen_nguyen) and not the Harrington version.

Forgive me if I'm a bit confused ( ... or should I say "more confused than usual"?) - are there actually two different manufacturers of these stainless steel reproduction Karmann Ghia bumpers, and do they both actually build in the same incorrect angle on the front bumper corner mount?

For some reason I got the impression from reading all of this that there was a single manufacturer, but several different distributors from which to buy them from.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 42

Jump to: