Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Ghia bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: mr Fiat bumpers Reply with quote

Thx for the info on Mr Fiat reselling PTT bumpers. I may wind up using original and replacing the sections that are rusted..thx!
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't work out of the box. The different sections are not standard. I know because I only needed the center blade and overriders and it didn't work. The overriders did sorta work but only after they were turned down some.

Still trying to work with PTT to get this resolved -- hopefully this will benefit everyone.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielsan wrote:

Still trying to work with PTT to get this resolved -- hopefully this will benefit everyone.

Good luck with that...other's experience with them doesn't give cause for optimism. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have experience with SS bumpers from AllStainlessSteel out of Florida?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626684

Trevor
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... AllStainlessSteel is a reseller for PTT
helen_nguyen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Our comapny have the promotion of 10% discount for all kind of bumper in New Year. JUST IN JANUARY. So if there are anyone who interested in them. Please contact me via email: [email protected].

P/S: promotion just in January.
sancho58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

helen_nguyen wrote:
Our comapny have the promotion of 10% discount for all kind of bumper in New Year. JUST IN JANUARY. So if there are anyone who interested in them. Please contact me via email: [email protected].

oh, so now you want to crawl from under the garbage can ? Helen you need to
fix your defects with your bumpers , then make an honest sales pitch
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

helen_nguyen wrote:

Dear Ms Nguyen

You obviously understand English, but I'm not sure that you actually read the complaints about your stainless steel bumpers. I bought 2 sets from you, one for a friend. They have the same defect. Look at the photo please. It shows the angle of the bracket on the front bumper blade is wrong. Your stainless steel bumper is in front, the one behind is the original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your front bumper doesn't fit, Ms Nguyen, so what's the purpose in offering us a 10% discount on a bumper everyone here knows doesn't fit?

Yes, I'm angry, because your product wasted 4 days of my life while I struggled to fix the defects and make the front bumper fit. And by the way, the front overriders also don't fit.
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

I doubt she has any control over production. She's probably just a sales person and gets a commission for each bumper sold. What motivation does she have to correct if us Ghia folk are buying anyway?

The only way this will ever get corrected is if no one buys their bumpers.

Ps - seems like someone could make a lot of money by fabricating brackets to fix the problem?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Euro Bumpers from Harrington Group Reply with quote

After a months long search for better bumpers I took a chance on some Harrington bumpers from CIP1. I decided to start with the front bumper since that's been the most problematic according to other posters here. Upon initial inspection I was quite pleased with the quality; looked good enough for my driver-quality car (some very minor polishing marks but nothing additional polishing couldn't remove). Guards fit nicely and they went together well though I left everything hand tight to allow for some minor adjustment of the blades and center section if needed.

Then the moment of truth; I removed the existing bumper and attempted to fit the Harrington front. No luck at all, and not even close. It measures 2.25" shorter than the original, and that includes trying to "push" the blades forward in an attempt to flatten the arc of the bumper. I'm going to evaluate my options, including contacting CIP1 to see if they'd like to send another front section to try or modifying this one if possible.

Such a letdown; I really want Euro bumpers with guards for my lowlight. The problems with reproduced bumpers continue. Shame, really....seems there's a great opportunity for someone to make a mint building them correctly. Gerson????

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Is it a three piece bumper? Did you check to see what is shorter the middle, the ends or combination?

I wanted to get a pair for my 71 but have heard so many fitment issues I'm thinking I'm going to end up re-chroming my originals...
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Is it a three piece bumper? Did you check to see what is shorter the middle, the ends or combination?

I wanted to get a pair for my 71 but have heard so many fitment issues I'm thinking I'm going to end up re-chroming my originals...

Yes, three piece. I have not measured yet but hope to do so tonight. It was late last night when I was messing with it so I set the new bumper aside and put the old back on for the time being.

I wish re-chroming were an option for me but I have a later '67+ rear bumper (reverse lights and shorter blade ends) so I don't want to make a huge investment in something not "correct" for my car. Plus I really like the Euro w/ guards look. I have emailed CIP1 and have not heard back; I hope they'll be open to sending another front for me to try.
sancho58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Hey Pete I had to make that same decision about a year ago I used my bumpers that had over Riders and took it to a very reputable rechroming bumper shop in San Jose California which have been in business for about over 50 years and they were able to weld up the holes were had the reverse lights as well as the over Riders fix all the little dings and dents they had on the bumpers triple Chrome as well as the Europe bumper guards in all costing me out the door $1,400 which was a very reasonable price the Chrome looks like mirrors
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

sancho58 wrote:
Hey Pete I had to make that same decision about a year ago I used my bumpers that had over Riders and took it to a very reputable rechroming bumper shop in San Jose California which have been in business for about over 50 years and they were able to weld up the holes were had the reverse lights as well as the over Riders fix all the little dings and dents they had on the bumpers triple Chrome as well as the Europe bumper guards in all costing me out the door $1,400 which was a very reasonable price the Chrome looks like mirrors

That's what I'm doing since I already know my bumpers fit.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

sancho58 wrote:

Yeah, before I presume that's too expensive I should probably see what re-chroming options are near me locally (Charleston, SC). My car is very much a 10-footer driver quality car and not a 100-point resto so the price point of the $1k stainless bumpers is appealing, especially considering I have a local buyer lined up for my existing bumpers to help offset that cost. I just assumed buying the longer '56-'66 rear blades, welding up overrider holes sourcing Euro guards, and then chroming all of that would be waaaay more than the $500 or so net I'm going to have in these stainless bumpers.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

The rear essentially bolts right up - I did have to stack some washers between the left side blade nut plate and the rubber grommet to keep the blade from touching the quarter panel, otherwise no problems. Why can't they get the front right? Still no reply from CIP1...I'd really like to try another front before hacking into the one I have. For starters it appears the center section of the front is at least 1" shorter than an OG center section (old bumper is mounted back to car so it was tough to get an accurate measurement.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Just an update on my trials...maybe it'll help someone else.

After setting aside the front bumper and giving it some thought I came up with a plan to adjust it to fit without too much hassle.

I measured the original bumper that I had removed from inside of blade end to inside end. It measured 59.25". The assembled Harrington bumper was 57". First I removed the front guards and their retaining bolts, and then loosened the top and bottom bolts that secure the blade ends to the center section. With the three bumper pieces loose I pulled the two blade ends outward until it measured 59.25" inside end-to-end, and then carefully tightened the section bolts back down, being VERY careful not to let the ends draw back in (as it wanted to do since the bumper is pressed and the holes are punched in a schedule that makes it want to settle at 57" wide). Once the ends are re-tightened the bolt holes for the guards no longer align and overlap some so I re-drilled those. Reattach the guards and I now have a bumper that bolts up to the car and clears the front fenders like stock.

The second issue is the woeful angle of the nut plates for the blade ends to attach to the lower front fenders - at NOWHERE near the correct angle. I drilled out the retaining nut to accept a rivet nut that could be installed at the correct angle. I'm using JB Weld to hold it (time will tell how that will pan out) rather than trying to weld on a new bumper.

I like the look of the euro bumpers and am pleased with the final result. It's a shame Harrington can't/won't address the two seemingly common issues with the front bumper - the too narrow width and the blade end nutplate angles. As mentioned the rear bumper bolted right up - if the front would do the same they would have a really nice product.

Last edited by PeteSC on Thu May 10, 2018 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

WELL I pulled the trigger for Harrington Fatchick bumpers from CIP.

Ill post my results when then come in. Thought I would let everyone know how the non Cool kids ones are.. Laughing
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
I unpacked and checked my Harrington front bumper today and the bolt bracket is on the wrong angle, but probably not as bad as in Sancho's photo above.

Instead of welding a new bracket in, has anyone just tried to bend the bracket to the correct angle, or alternatively just drilled the threaded hole out and used a nut and washer with the bolt at the different angle?

I was preparing to make the new brackets for the front bumper and get them TIG welded in as per Kiwi's procedure earlier but I thought I would see if I could carefully bend the bolts to the correct orientation first. For each end, I screwed the long bolt in and then put the hole in the end of a large adjustable wrench over the bolt and used this as a lever. With relatively light force I was able to easily bend the bolt to the correct orientation.

It took about 30 seconds for each bolt and there is no damage to the blade at all and the bolts screw in and out no problems. The bracket does not look like it has moved where it attaches to the blade at all, it has just twisted a little in the area immediately around the captive nuts. I can't believe how easy it was and I have saved hours of screwing around with modifying the brackets.

I have not trial fitted the bumper yet but it now looks nearly identical to the original one so I am reasonably confident that I will be able to get it to fit ok. I had to buy new stainless bolts and washers because the bolts and washers that come with the bumper are not great as noted in an earlier post. The only other issue I have noticed is that on the rear bumper, the spacer plates foul on one of the bolts that hold the sections of the bumper together under the overrider, so I will need to grind a slot in the spacer plates to clear these.
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Praise the FAT CHICKS!

Got them yesterday. shipped from canada, CIP has them on sale and free shipping right now which was huge on these.

Im very impressed. They look exactly like the OEM ones. Perfect stamp and indention.

The weight is just a tad lighter which is fine. The metal seems very sturdy and very shiney. There are a few swirl marks from the polish but nothing you see unless its super sunny.

The fit was exact and very impressive. I was very worried after reading about ss bumpers the last year.

Any who if you have a fatchick and cant find excellent ones I highly recomend the Harrington from CIP1

How they were shipped

Back side vs mine

Hammer not needed Smile

Front

rear

[

Last edited by trelms on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 42

Jump to: