Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine compartment cardboard
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: engine compartment cardboard Reply with quote

the cardboard insert that goes beside the battery and hides the fender well is held up with metal bend over tabs that are spot welded to the underside of the read deck frame. the tabs are broked off one the drivers side and i don't want to do a repair that would be paint envasive like spot welding or screwing or pop riviting. the only idea i have so far is to j b weld some replacement tabs on it. anyone addressed this problem before.. ain't it fun???
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would weld in new tabs and secure the material with screws. Screw this JB Weld hack job nonsense.

Then again, that's just me.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tabs are all still there, I just don't have the fiberboard. I was actually contemplating taking them out and making some aluminum panels to fit in.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
my tabs are all still there, I just don't have the fiberboard. I was actually contemplating taking them out and making some aluminum panels to fit in.

I've seen that done, but aluminum scratches easily. Just an observation and not a criticism.
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: engine compartment cardboard Reply with quote

my ghia will have a paint job needed in the next couple of years but not at this time. ICY: a weld will require grinding/smoothing and painting that will have to be addressed on the outside skin of the car too. don't want to go there until the car gets a paint job. at that time i can remove any hack job for the good job. by fastening "the material" with screws did you mean the cardboard? thanks for your response. dave aint it fun?
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: cardboard Reply with quote

got a suggestion from another forum site. velcro.. sounds like a good nonenvasive, temporary soultion.... ain't it fun???
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cardboard Reply with quote

snookerdude wrote:
got a suggestion from another forum site. velcro.. sounds like a good nonenvasive, temporary soultion.... ain't it fun???

Rivet.

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: engine compartment cardboard Reply with quote

Bringing an old thread from the dead.

When the clips broke off or the cardboard inserts got wet these would most often get discarded.

Anyone making these with cardboard like the originals?

I like the velcro idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: engine compartment cardboard Reply with quote

The ones on my current Ghia are in good shape. However this was not the case on my last Ghia where they were missing.

I had found some roofing material at Home Depot that was a pretty close match. Cut and fitted it.

This was a while ago so I have no idea if they still have it but you might want to take a look at the roofing material they have there. I used a heavy tar like material used for capping the peak on a roof.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: engine compartment cardboard Reply with quote

Why not use a rivet? Paint the rivet and it will disappear, when you decide to paint the car remove the rivet, weld it back grind it smooth and paint.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: