Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 834, 835, 836 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
I got to about 4:50 before I thought of this thread - ULTIMATE "Drive" OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds

Spoiler alert: Plane burns to the ground and is destroyed at the end of that. Wish they would have been more up front with that at the beginning or wouldn't have wasted my time.
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Here it is.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5631941086.html
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I'm surprised it is still listed after 2 days. Only 1k?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
I'm surprised it is still listed after 2 days. Only 1k?

The pics say it all, I would not go much higher for that rust bucket non walk thru panel. I was born in 1960 & would love to get a 1960 Bus, but not that rusty, and not a Panel.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Well, for me a listing price is what I want not necessarily what I will take. I think most sellers are like this. The guy selling that panel knows very little about buses and wants it gone. It would be a good base, entry level bus for someone with welding skills or the desire to learn

But you are correct, 1k is on the high side. $500 would make it a fun project!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I think he's scowling at me because I was making eyes at his old lady on the trailer.

Im a few miles from Berryville where this thing is listed if anyone wants me to go check it out but the pictures are enough for me to pass.

kafer60 wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
Anyone got a story on this one? Saw it this morning in Leesburg VA. Perhaps a fresh find?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It appears he's headed out of state, in Va we have front license plates and a big yellow inspection sticker in middle of our windshields. I would guess Maryland. He's giving someone the stink eye!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

tjewett wrote:
Here it is.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5631941086.html

Rusted at the beltline. Not UP TO the beltline, AT the belt line. Never seen that before.

What a pile of junk. Cut it up and crush the leftovers.
CR23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Well I've been looking through the pages of this forum for the last couple years, and it's finally my turn to post. I'm 18 years old and this is my first bus, My dad and I found this 3 years ago 10 min away from our house here in Southern California. The owner had no interest in selling it until 6 months ago when we stopped by to ask the annual "is it for sale yet?". The seller had finally accepted that he would never restore it but he still wanted to hang on to it. I made friends with him and stopped by just to talk every couple weeks and just last week he finally came around to letting it go. The deal was a bit odd, but since he had so much of his stuff in the bus, the deal was we build him a shed in his back yard and give a little cash on top. Luckily my dad is a carpenter and has taught me the trade as well. So after finishing the shed last weekend we finally brought it home. A 1964 Panel, Southern California 99% rust free bus Very Happy sadly the front seat was incorrect but there was a Z bed in the back and the car has never been hacked or modified. Also I just found this out today, but the motor runs beautifully after sitting on Non Op for the last 20 years.

mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice! Patience and persistence....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice! Is there a piece of sheet metal bolted on the long side? I see a seam towards the rear.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Very cool bus. It does look pretty darn dry as well. 18 and getting your VW addiction started. Nice!

Start your own thread and document your progress as you go through this bus.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Way to go CR23 congratulations on a job...er...hunt well done.

CR23 wrote:
Well I've been looking through the pages of this forum for the last couple years, and it's finally my turn to post. I'm 18 years old and this is my first bus, My dad and I found this 3 years ago 10 min away from our house here in Southern California. The owner had no interest in selling it until 6 months ago when we stopped by to ask the annual "is it for sale yet?". The seller had finally accepted that he would never restore it but he still wanted to hang on to it. I made friends with him and stopped by just to talk every couple weeks and just last week he finally came around to letting it go. The deal was a bit odd, but since he had so much of his stuff in the bus, the deal was we build him a shed in his back yard and give a little cash on top. Luckily my dad is a carpenter and has taught me the trade as well. So after finishing the shed last weekend we finally brought it home. A 1964 Panel, Southern California 99% rust free bus Very Happy sadly the front seat was incorrect but there was a Z bed in the back and the car has never been hacked or modified. Also I just found this out today, but the motor runs beautifully after sitting on Non Op for the last 20 years.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

You are immensely lucky! Nice job.
Looking forward to your new thread... and your reply to this:
GLHTurbo wrote:
Is there a piece of sheet metal bolted on the long side? I see a seam towards the rear.

66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That interior actually looks really cool! I love the paneling. Nice score!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Anxious to see what is behind metal panel on drivers side. Nice bus.way to go kid.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
CR23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

For everyone wondering, The seams on the side were the PO's attempt at making it the panel it once was. He bought it with those camper windows put into it and he wanted to make it back into a panel like it was from the factory. Will be making that perfect eventually
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

CR23 wrote:
For everyone wondering, The seams on the side were the PO's attempt at making it the panel it once was. He bought it with those camper windows put into it and he wanted to make it back into a panel like it was from the factory. Will be making that perfect eventually
On the bright side, looks like you only have to fix the d/s window openings. That side panel from the belt line up can be replaced at the spot welds fwiw.

For all the people out there that say they can never afford a split bus , here's proof it can be done. Good job on not giving up and making the deal happen.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
CR23 wrote:
fix the d/s window openings.

Why fix? Why not put camper windows back in and add some more camper style interior in the back? CR23 already stated his father is a carpenter. Nothing better than a father son project of this nature.

Anxious to see it once you get it washed and maybe some compound on the paint.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Whoa what kind of shed gets traded for a free car? Pictures?
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Well I didn't find it, a buddy did. BUT he gave me a fair price on it and I managed to flip my 71 Westy project and break even. It's in the driveway now. Pretty solid. Cut bulkhead, Badly cut dash, rear wheel wells cut, rockers and some patching. BUT I'm excited.

January 62 Standard Mouse Grey. Found in Southern Alberta. Farm Fresh!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 834, 835, 836 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 835 of 990

Jump to: