Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bus-T2B-Rare-Rear-Bumpe...mp;vxp=mtr

Thanks Red!

I spoke to Jack a few weeks back. I simply can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on the steps though.
It's a cool accessory, but not one that is all too functional or even noticeable.
I would rather spend that kind of money on other rarities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:
Has anyone seen an original roof rack rain proof stowage bag?

Never seen a storage bag.
Here is the roof rack cover.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5198688#5198688

Tcash
This is similar but not westy specific. It is the same size as the rack.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Westfalia roof vent Reply with quote

Curtquarquesso wrote:
Does anyone have information roof-vents or skylights that would be installed in late model Westfalia Bay Windows?

My '78 Westy has always had this funky pop-up roof-vent in the pop-top that allows some light in, as well as some ventilation to the rear if you close the backside, and keep the front open as a scoop. The original owner left behind a small baggie of hardware labeled "Roof Vent", so I've always suspected it was something he installed/had installed...

Until I found this thread here, where a member happens to have the exact same roof-vent as I do, in the exact same place. Now, I'm thinking this could have been an actual "thing", and not just a genuine PO modification.

From the exterior:

From the interior:

Spare hardware, and identifying mark on the inside of the vent:

Demin/velcro cover assumably made by the PO:

Best I can figure, the marking says "RIAG - CAB" and "sine-wave D 389"
Can't seem to find any info on it, or anyone else with one of these vents, except for member deeps, who hasn't been active since 2011.

If anyone has any info on this roof-vent, I'd be deeply appreciative. I'd be glad to take the thing apart and document stuff provided someone can help me find a replacement gasket. The reason I've looked into the vent is because it's leaking a bit, and saturating the fuzzy pop-top headliner. The seal looks to be a really, really, flat bulb seal. I can't image the design would be too picky about the kind of seal it gets, but I'd like to put the right seal on it if I can.

My 1978 has the same roof vent,you can still buy the slightly tinted plastic glass in Germany! mine was so perished i replaced it with a new one,can post pics if you want?

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

cliveawn wrote:
My 1978 has the same roof vent,you can still buy the slightly tinted plastic glass in Germany! mine was so perished i replaced it with a new one,can post pics if you want?

Yes! Please! I'm in the market for a fresh bulb seal as mine is leaking a bit.
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

I will post up pics later,here is the link for the shop.

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts..../231070766

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Bulb sal should be easy. Isnt it the same as seen on after market pop top seals?

Good to see the top listed for sale. Now we just need some hardware fabbed up! I thought we and I say we like we all hang out together Rolling Eyes Laughing were wanting - going to try and recreate this? I know it takes a volunteer with the og bits to do so. I would help as much as I could.

In the spirit of helping out and giving back - I have reached a milestone. These are scanned and ready to take the next step towards reproduction. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Oh, man, the paper model Westy is great.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

I am a firm believer that I have found one of the rarest of the rare...

Some sportsmobile accesory literature mentioned an available upper bunk ladder, I have not dug deep enough into Westy literature to see if they do too, so for now I guess I will call this a Sportsmobile bunk access ladder, as opposed to just a bay window bunk ladder..

It has no markings, but nobody will be able to convince me that this isn't made for a bus, the fit is just far too perfect.. It still needs some cleaning, as the P.O. had carpet taped to the rungs, but I couldn't keep it to myself any longer..

How the top of the ladder secures itself to the bus

Bottom feet

Showing the "it looks too right to not be right" fit

Tell me that's not meant to be..

And the grand finale - After fitting so perfectly to the top rail, it is also a perfect tight fight to the floor...!

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Hey, Tweed -

That is very cool, and is of high interest to us Sportsmobile owners. I would be keen to make up one of these myself, especially after the welding class that I will be taking this fall. I am guessing that building the ladder itself from aluminum could not be too hard. The plastic bits on the ends will be the tricky part.

I would encourage you to document the heck out of that ladder. That is, take careful measurements of dimensions. I expect that the top and bottom plastic inserts would be great candidates for 3D printing, if we could get the solid model files made for them. If you could at least work up some detailed photographs (like various views of the plastic parts against a backdrop of a 1-mm grid graph paper or something) then perhaps others could work up the solid model.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Hey, Tweed -

I expect that the top and bottom plastic inserts would be great candidates for 3D printing.

I was just saying that earlier, especially since I searched and searched the junkyard, but wasn't able to find the other top plastic hook (I would assume it is broken and long gone), and I obviously don't want to break the one remaining one.
napat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen RHD padded dash before Smile

Tomm0369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Hello all, this is my first post in any forum ever.
I'm looking for help on my 68 bay. Build date October 67, it was part of the European tourist delivery program. Was picked up directly from the factory by first owner. It is RHD with full partition. It's M codes say it was fitted out as a Westfalia. Question: did Westfalia conversions happen at VW factory ?
I heard Westfalia only did prototypes on the 68 bays up until January 68, is this correct ? Now the hardest question what is M code 716. And no there is no Westfalia plate only on the VW plate indicates Westfalia with codes 517 518 and B67.
Cheers Tom
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Tomm0369 wrote:
I'm looking for help on my 68 bay. Build date October 67, it was part of the European tourist delivery program. Was picked up directly from the factory by first owner. It is RHD with full partition. It's M codes say it was fitted out as a Westfalia. Question: did Westfalia conversions happen at VW factory ?
I heard Westfalia only did prototypes on the 68 bays up until January 68, is this correct ? Now the hardest question what is M code 716. And no there is no Westfalia plate only on the VW plate indicates Westfalia with codes 517 518 and B67.
Cheers Tom

Welcome Tom,
All Westfalia conversions were performed in Westfalia's factory, the partially completed buses were shipped there from VW's factory, Westfalia also did conversions for customers who dropped in.
M716 could be one of the unknown codes, try all the different decoders and see if one hits it. There's links to all of them here near the bottom of "vehicle identification": http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165001

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bibbster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Hey, Tweed -

I expect that the top and bottom plastic inserts would be great candidates for 3D printing.

I was just saying that earlier, especially since I searched and searched the junkyard, but wasn't able to find the other top plastic hook (I would assume it is broken and long gone), and I obviously don't want to break the one remaining one.

I can help with that. Shoot me a PM and we can figure out the details. Smile
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Tomm0369 wrote:
Cheers Tom

I think I read the same thing you did. Mine is from November 67. It's even painted a 67 color, Pearl White. I can't recall where it was now, but I read somewhere that my camper interior is considered a prototype as well. I'm not sure how to take this though since Westfalia was making the campers for the split buses too, right? Maybe until it was 'officially' 1968, they were prototypes?

My 1968 Campmobile
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

I was at a rest stop the other day and saw this bus with its engine lid open so I stopped to see if they needed any help. Out jumps the owner, the original owner and he special ordered this bus in Germany. It has the rare tow hook, solid side window and a wing window on the slider door, Helsinki interior with special ordered plaid material and full width bed plus continental kit for the upper bunk and three skid plates, one off the front bumper, one for the trans and one for the engine. All special ordered from the factory. This bus was still in its original paint and all rubber seals including the pop top seal. Still has the original engine and all. He's been all over the world in it. The tow hook and skid plates were a "safari" package. Super nice guy and he was stopped to change his oil because he just turned 500,000 Kms in it.
Pictures are not great but this is maybe the coolest 71 I've ever seen.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Id like to know more about that hook!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Wow! Incredible bus.
Looking in the engine compartment I notice a VW rebuilt sticker by the distributor, I think. Also what is the relay by the left jamb? Not for the Eberspaecher? I see a blue wire going up and over. Does it have aux. battery?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Wow! Incredible bus.
Looking in the engine compartment I notice a VW rebuilt sticker by the distributor, I think. Also what is the relay by the left jamb? Not for the Eberspaecher? I see a blue wire going up and over. Does it have aux. battery?
Al

I didn't notice an extra battery but it wouldn't surprise me if there was one. This was also wired for 220 (I think, European exterior plug but he said he had the fridge rewired to 110, I think it was the fridge...)

And that tow hook is bad ass. Someone posted one on here before, I looked through all the pages. I also saw a trans skid plate but I have t seen the front skid plate on these pages. I could be wrong on the engine skid plate. I tried to get a picture but it didn't turn out, pretty sure he said there were three skid plates. His engine was rebuilt at about 150kms and I want to say one other time at about the same. Still original case and most parts. He just had his generator replaced, something he would normally do himself but had someone else do it. He was having a small problem that I also just had. When you get a new generator, try and use your original pulley. He has a newer one on there now and it's giving him problems. You need to put a small spacer behind the pulley to give it something to back up too, otherwise the pulley will work itself further up,the shaft until the pulley grinds on the generator housing. Just had the same problem myself. He did have his original one with him with the correct pulley so he was fine. It's a 71 year only pulley.

I could not believe how nice this bus was. The rear bumper had been reprinted otherwise he always just touched up the nicks. He really knew his bus and considered it the best of all the layouts.
I can't believe I met this guy and got to see this bus and have him tell me all about it. I hope I can run into him again some day, I regret not getting his contact. He was a weath of knowledge and a heck of a good guy. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

So I have this German-made VW Club of America badge I bought off Craigslist that has the charter member “ribbon” attached to it. The badge was pretty badly tarnished so I decided to polish it with some brass cleaner.

I pulled the Charter Member ribbon off so I could clean all the way around the edges. Lo and behold, the mounting bracket was actually a one piece second badge hidden under the first. This one has no markings on the back and has slightly different wording. It is also thinner. I have seen the German badges on EBay but have never seen the other style…. has anyone?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 93 of 105

Jump to: