Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Ahh pop rivets are easy. Nothing special about the og ones. You have to disassemble it to restore it properly and or make copies for the future. That thing looks pretty straight forward. You can then pop rivet it back in again or use those screws for sure.

I tell you what, if you were to take it out - Id throw money in the pot to get that reproduced. Or look into doing it as a venture if you are game?

Very cool Cool

What he said! NBD drilling out the rivets.

I too would love to get a reproduction unit. My bus already had a small hole cut for a round vent before I owned it, so that makes it a little easier to do some more cutting. Even better if these are 100% confirmed to be an original option.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Ahh pop rivets are easy. Nothing special about the og ones. You have to disassemble it to restore it properly and or make copies for the future. That thing looks pretty straight forward. You can then pop rivet it back in again or use those screws for sure.
I tell you what, if you were to take it out - Id throw money in the pot to get that reproduced. Or look into doing it as a venture if you are game?
Very cool Cool

Bala wrote:
What he said! NBD drilling out the rivets.
I too would love to get a reproduction unit. My bus already had a small hole cut for a round vent before I owned it, so that makes it a little easier to do some more cutting. Even better if these are 100% confirmed to be an original option.

I actually just got off the phone with GoWesty a moment ago. I was able to give them the part number listed in this classified, and they were able to send me a link to this Westfalia pricing brochure which names the part as: Dachentlüfter im Aufstelldach oder Hubdach.

I now have a lot more to go on. The original owner bought the vehicle in Germany as part of the tourist export program, and I'm told he walked the factory as it was being built for him. I'm guessing perhaps not a lot of people chose this option when they were buying their campers which may contribute to the rarity.

Factoring in exchange rate from DEM to USD in late 1977, and inflation, that would have been roughly a $170 option in today's money.

As far as the pop rivets go, I'll definitely be drilling them out when I get a new seal to put in there. Still working on choosing a seal. My main concern is being a klutz and accidentally messing up the headliner or pop-top when drilling out the rivets. I'll just have to be super slow and careful. I obsess a bit over keeping anything that's original on the car as long as it's not rusting, objectively dangerous or unsafe, or non-functional. The rivets are wiggly, so original or not, they must go. Razz

Also worth mentioning that the M-Plate mentions nothing of this option.

Continue any further discussion back at the Late Westy Roof Skylights topic to keep this topic tidy, as well as to keep information on this topic in a single topic for ease of searching and posterity.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Google translates to "Roof vents in the pop-up or pop-top". Very Happy Very cool!

Personally this is one of, if not THE best rare find to be discussed!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Wow, just when you thimk you have seen it all. Another link:
http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/data/books/brochures/1976-04-westfalia-t2-pricelist-b.pdf

Just a regular guy
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Wow, just when you thimk you have seen it all. Another link:
http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/data/books/brochures/1976-04-westfalia-t2-pricelist-b.pdf

I see your Schwarz is as big as mine.
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Found a M501 bench seat kit last week, with a 2/3 bench seat. Great condition too.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

I don't know if this qualifies but it is cool Smile I believe it was used as illustrated in a Bus Garage to warn drivers not to move the BUS Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Very cool Cool

Id be happy to recreate the brackets. I have mold making material here at work and have been wanting to start making clear brake lights for my vintage motorcycles. I could make a mold of the top too and possibly pour more? Id love to give it a shot for sure!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

I just received two rifle clamps. Part# 231860313. This part was mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm pretty sure it mounts to the right of the glove box, in line with the bottom of the box lid. I have searched The Samba and the interweb and can't find any pics of them mounted. I think only one of these parts is needed to secure the barrel of the weapon. Is there another piece that secures the stock? Also does anyone know the appropriate weapon that was commonly used at the time?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I just received two rifle clamps. Part# 231860313. This part was mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm pretty sure it mounts to the right of the glove box, in line with the bottom of the box lid. I have searched The Samba and the interweb and can't find any pics of them mounted. I think only one of these parts is needed to secure the barrel of the weapon. Is there another piece that secures the stock? Also does anyone know the appropriate weapon that was commonly used at the time?

just a guess if late 1960's: prob M1 or M14 if it was a military or security vehicle, and 12 ga riot shotgun if other I would think.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

From this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/12_78_bundeswehr_german.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:

Do they look like these:
NOS 231 860 311 Rifle Mount, mounting clamp for army buses

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

I wonder if they work with a padded dash?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I wonder if they work with a padded dash?

I imagine with longer screws they would. A lot of good it is going to do ya, strapped to the passengers side. I keep mine across my lap.
Tcash
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

BD/Tcash, those pics are great. I could not find them. In the image B2-997 there seems to be a lower mount. Never seen that in the ads. Thanks.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
BD/Tcash, those pics are great. I could not find them. In the image B2-997 there seems to be a lower mount. Never seen that in the ads. Thanks.

Well yeah. Gota hold your butt right Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

The rifle straps were standard issue on police rigs. You can still buy them. Bus ok has them. They are very cool but not very practical these days unless you want your hunting rifle directly in front of you for the bone head cop to see.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
topaz. wrote:
T2b Fire Truck Rear Bumper Step
(Anti Slip/Scratch Protector)

WANT!!!! Drool

OMG WANT!!!! Drool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bus-T2B-Rare-Rear-Bumpe...mp;vxp=mtr
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Has anyone seen an original roof rack rain proof stowage bag?
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Has anyone seen an original roof rack rain proof stowage bag?

Never seen a storage bag.
Here is the roof rack cover.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5198688#5198688

Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 92 of 105

Jump to: