Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

I finally got around to putting up the rear hatch tent! Man it was cool!! Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Nice addition and good looking bus! Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Djoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

nice find... Wink
would be better on a bus than on a westy... Laughing

69 CLIPPER-L
74 WESTY
68 BUG
73 THING

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A BUS!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Djoul wrote:
nice find... Wink

Maybe Buggin is 8 feet tall and needs the leg room? Razz

Cool tent, that'd be sweet for a deluxe or something with full passenger seating on an extended trip.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Where can I get one?

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Nice addition and good looking bus! Very Happy

Thank you! It's a September 67 early westy. It's headed to a new home soon.

busdaddy wrote:
Djoul wrote:
nice find... Wink

Maybe Buggin is 8 feet tall and needs the leg room? Razz

Cool tent, that'd be sweet for a deluxe or something with full passenger seating on an extended trip.

Haha... I'm 5'8" so the plan is to use this in my 9 passenger Clipper or my first month production 8 passenger Euro Kombi. Smile What I did photograph is it comes with the full rear parcel tray cushion and a full width wedge pillow. It folds up nice so it makes a nice travel tent compared to sleeping on the ground. haha.

wihr wrote:
Where can I get one?

WW

There is a reproduction called Amescador that is available although the canvas design looks a little different. This is an original 1973 Westfalia-Werke bus accessory.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

At 6'5" Mongo's legs hang off end of lower bed Crying or Very sad

Trailers are in customs now Twisted Evil Ill tempt you later.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:
these side turn signals are sweet. Anybody seen this before in person?

I have not, but I am looking for some! If anyone has leads, PM me!

Yay! I found some! These side marker lights, that is:

for use as marker lights or even turn signals on the B pillar of a bus or double cab. These were not easy to locate, so I bought a bunch when I could and put them in the classifieds.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky_rozen92 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
topaz. wrote:
Rear-coil-over-konis

Another offering, courtesy of Monroe

From the top, the various suspension dampers are:

Standard, original equipment, front damper, for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This is the factory-fitted one from my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

Monroe "Van Magnum" heavy-duty, "Radialmatic" front damper (Monroe part No. V 2006), for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This has been retro-fitted my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

Standard, original equipment, rear damper, for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This is the factory-fitted one from my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

Monroe "Load Leveler" heavy-duty, "Radialmatic" rear damper & concentric, supplementary, progressive-rate coil spring (Monroe part No. LL 665), for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This has been retro-fitted to my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2. With the rear wheels off the ground, the "Load Leveler", is just a bolt-on installation, with no need to compress the coil spring

what are your experiences with these monroe dampeners? They are readily available at an auto parts store walking distance from me and cheaper than the VW OEM part. Do you feel that they are superior to that OEM equipment and worth putting in?

Just spent the weekend going through this thread Smile. On the coilovers, has anyone seen the OEM ones? There's black coilovers on the back of my '70 Westy with no stickers or labels on them, haven't looked at them in a few years for any type of stampings.

vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Excellent rear hatch tent!! What make is it? The only type I have seen before is Amescador from the Netherlands, but they look different. Could you post some more detailed pics? It would be interesting to see, how the tent is attached to the bus on the sides and on the roof and how the extension is hooked to the rear hatch.
Type3 9/63 1500N M264 panel
Mozzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Some may not agree however I believe this is quite rare. My 1969 RHD dual sliding door panel van.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Mozzie wrote:
Some may not agree however I believe this is quite rare. My 1969 RHD dual sliding door panel van.

Rare enough for these pages. You should set up a build thread. Have any more details and pics, please Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Personally I think they are worth a bit more with doors period.....

Laughing

Looks like a post body shop pic so I can guess they are stashed somewhere.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mozzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Nah doors are overrated. You get more air conditioning this way Laughing
Yeah bus is in the paint booth as we speak.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Personally I think they are worth a bit more with doors period.....

Laughing

Looks like the ultra rare door delete M-code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mozzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Mozzie wrote:

Rare enough for these pages. You should set up a build thread. Have any more details and pics, please Laughing

Hi notchboy check out the link on the bottom of my posts as I have a build thread going already on here Wink
Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Does anyone have information roof-vents or skylights that would be installed in late model Westfalia Bay Windows?

My '78 Westy has always had this funky pop-up roof-vent in the pop-top that allows some light in, as well as some ventilation to the rear if you close the backside, and keep the front open as a scoop. The original owner left behind a small baggie of hardware labeled "Roof Vent", so I've always suspected it was something he installed/had installed...

Until I found this thread here, where a member happens to have the exact same roof-vent as I do, in the exact same place. Now, I'm thinking this could have been an actual "thing", and not just a genuine PO modification.

From the exterior:

From the interior:

Spare hardware, and identifying mark on the inside of the vent:

Demin/velcro cover assumably made by the PO:

Best I can figure, the marking says "RIAG - CAB" and "sine-wave D 389"
Can't seem to find any info on it, or anyone else with one of these vents, except for member deeps, who hasn't been active since 2011.

If anyone has any info on this roof-vent, I'd be deeply appreciative. I'd be glad to take the thing apart and document stuff provided someone can help me find a replacement gasket. The reason I've looked into the vent is because it's leaking a bit, and saturating the fuzzy pop-top headliner. The seal looks to be a really, really, flat bulb seal. I can't image the design would be too picky about the kind of seal it gets, but I'd like to put the right seal on it if I can.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

That thing is sweet! The infamous Bay vent. You see them on Vanagons but not bays. Thanks for posting. I don't know much and look forward to hunting the info as well.

Looks like the pop up part was clear at one time - now painted.

Vanagon Type

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=422499

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
That thing is sweet! The infamous Bay vent. You see them on Vanagons but not bays. Thanks for posting. I don't know much and look forward to hunting the info as well.
Looks like the pop up part was clear at one time - now painted.

You're quite right. The main casting is some sort of clear resin or acrylic with two coats of white paint on top. Not sure whether or not it came painted, or if the original owner painted it. It currently has two coats of white. First coat was brushed on, the second coat was sprayed on.

I'd really prefer it to be clear, but I'm not going to strip it, or make any changes to it. If anything, because it's so rare, I'd remove it and put a clear one in and shelve this unit until I find out a bit more about it. I'm not looking forward to drilling out the original pop-rivets. Part of me doesn't want to drill them out because they're original to the car and such, but some of them are loose and wiggly, so putting in new hardware and a new seal is pretty much a necessity.

Again, if anyone has any info whatsoever on this style of skylight, please let me know. It's a mystery that's been driving me nuts.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Ahh pop rivets are easy. Nothing special about the og ones. You have to disassemble it to restore it properly and or make copies for the future. That thing looks pretty straight forward. You can then pop rivet it back in again or use those screws for sure.

I tell you what, if you were to take it out - Id throw money in the pot to get that reproduced. Or look into doing it as a venture if you are game?

Very cool Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 91 of 105

Jump to: