Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I will post this again since Brian is more interested in BIG ASS Tires... Laughing

Looking for info on these tires purchased recently and how you rate them.

Nexen SV820's
Hankook RA18s
Vanco 2s

I have Vanco 8's on my Bus but,they are getting old and i need to replace
them.....I don't drive the bus many miles per year.

Thanks. Chris
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

What tire pressure are people running on their grabbers. The 20 7X8.5 14s, that is?
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Start with the stock pressures. 30 up front and 44 in the rear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

So, what (if any) of the newly available tires has anyone tried and liked or disliked?
I've seen some Ranger/Thunderer brand, I think in 185R and 195R-14 sizes. several others.
Last summer, I bought a set of Goform brand 185R-14 from Tires-Easy $282 delivered in Iowa.
I put them on my 71 Dormie, which was basically sold, so I only drove them perhaps 100 miles. they looked to be a commercial/ highway mileage tread, not so much an all weather tire. But they looked the part and drove very good for what I could tell.
I have Vanagons, a bay or two, and a couple splitties, so whatever tires I buy can be moved to any of these 3 models, with some rim changing.
I need to buy some very soon.
that would be my main use- highway miles good conditions.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Is that what the sticker on a 77 says for tire pressures?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

Is that what the sticker on a 77 says for tire pressures?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

I did and I'm at 44 and 30 - but that's based on a stock tire size. While they are the correct rating, grabbers are not that size.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Size doesn't matter.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Size doesn't matter.

40 years of improvement in tire technology does.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Size doesn't matter.

What improvements would those be?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Size doesn't matter.

What improvements would those be?

Surely you don't expect the tires that came on that shiny new 77 Westy are built with the same design/materials/technology as what is available today?

I am not a tire engineer, but I am confident there is an obvious difference in tires made today compared to those made 40 years ago. Are you?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I certainly cannot think of any that involve air pressures.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I certainly cannot think of any that involve air pressures.

If I go by the recommended tire pressures on my 68 single cab with Wrangler HT's, or my 70 camper with BFG's, the steering is way too heavy. 28 PSI may have been great with the rock hard rubber compounds back then, but not anymore.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

size doesn't matter?

hmm.. well, on my vanagons the stickers show that different tire sizes (185 and 205) require different pressures that range as much as 10 PSI. Yeah, a vanagon isn't a bus... but the principle would be the same.

so...

I'll ask again: what pressure are people running their gRabber AT 27s at on their buses.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
size doesn't matter?

hmm.. well, on my vanagons the stickers show that different tire sizes (185 and 205) require different pressures that range as much as 10 PSI. Yeah, a vanagon isn't a bus... but the principle would be the same.

so...

I'll ask again: what pressure are people running their gRabber AT 27s at on their buses.

That sticker might just be a little irrelevant. There is not a single place in the US you can buy a 205/70R-14 6pr load range C tire. Nobody has sold "C" rated tire 205/70-14 in a decade.
The higher aspect ratio tires, there are MANY RATED tires with enough load rating to carry a loaded type 2. (they are always labeled 185R-14. I do not know why, but in that size they do not label the aspect ratio, so it is understood to be "80".)
The inflation always seems to work better for me if kept in about the same front/ rear bias. If you put as much air in the front as in the rear, the contact patch in front will be much smaller than the rear and the front end will be skittish.
Next time you have some spare time and a crosswind, try some experimentation yourself. Start out with equal pressure on all 4 tires, make a pass each direction, then drop the front pressure about 4 lbs. Try it again. I think a bay usually works best with about 10 more psi in the rear than the front.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Agreed you are comparing apples ("commercial" 6 ply rated tires 185R14Cs good to about 65 psi) to oranges (205/70/14 passenger tires although they are extra load and may be inflated to about 42 psi).

It is not the size, it is the meat.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
size doesn't matter?

so...

I believe the Grabbers to be very similar in construction to the BFG's. Given that possibility, I am running 40 PSI front/45 PSI rear on my 70 camper with good results on my BFG's of the same size. I have run them both as much as 10 PSI lower, but this seems where the bus is most happy.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
DenverB wrote:
size doesn't matter?

so...

I believe the Grabbers to be very similar in construction to the BFG's. Given that possibility, I am running 40 PSI front/45 PSI rear on my 70 camper with good results on my BFG's of the same size. I have run them both as much as 10 PSI lower, but this seems where the bus is most happy.

Thank you. This is the type of feedback I was looking for.

airforceSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Anyone running general grabbers, how are they doing? Looking at getting a pair. I live in Montana and the summer winds and winter snow are bad here. Need something to help with both.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

airforceSF wrote:
Anyone running general grabbers, how are they doing? Looking at getting a pair. I live in Montana and the summer winds and winter snow are bad here. Need something to help with both.

I am guessing they won't be that great in the cold, dry snow you get in Great Falls. If you're gonna drive it much in those conditions, you need some real snow tires. The grabbers will be excellent for the other three seasons, though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 165 of 198

Jump to: