Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:
All I can think when seeing this bus the other day is that the owner is asking for trouble with those tires and rims. They can't be good for a bus, right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other than the flat left front, why would he be asking for trouble? They make the bus look a bit silly, but they likely won't hurt anything.

I admit to knowing little about low-profile tires, and to me, after all the tire recommendations and info in this thread, they jut don't seem like they could handle a bus. But you say they can? Interesting. Learn something everyday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Hikelite wrote:
I've noticed the RA18's are very popular, so I pulled up the Hankook site.
They label it a "Summer" tire. wth?
Just the fact that it's not all season makes it less appealing to me.
Do the folks running these only take the Bus out during good weather?
I'm thinking they must suck in the snow?

Most tires I have used that are labeled as "mud and snow" or "all season" suck in the mud and snow, too.

The RA18 is not designed to be used in anything other than summer driving conditions, but they will probably handle some adversity. Having them siped would help, too.

Many folks only drive their VW's in good weather because they don't want them to get beat up and rusty.

So is the general tire grabber the best option?
I tried to find a Michelin, but couldn't find anything in the right size and rating.

My 1968 Campmobile
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

The Road Claws are doing OK on the rear but fading fast on the front. About 10K on them. Just had to rotate the fronts to the rear to get more out of the set. I'm guessing 12-15K miles will be about it. Otherwise no real issues
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Hikelite wrote:
I've noticed the RA18's are very popular, so I pulled up the Hankook site.
They label it a "Summer" tire. wth?
Just the fact that it's not all season makes it less appealing to me.
Do the folks running these only take the Bus out during good weather?
I'm thinking they must suck in the snow?

Most tires I have used that are labeled as "mud and snow" or "all season" suck in the mud and snow, too.

The RA18 is not designed to be used in anything other than summer driving conditions, but they will probably handle some adversity. Having them siped would help, too.

Many folks only drive their VW's in good weather because they don't want them to get beat up and rusty.

So is the general tire grabber the best option?
I tried to find a Michelin, but couldn't find anything in the right size and rating.

I am happy with my General Grabber AT/2's. Price was right and they look great.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
Well dang, I'm calling up the shop first thing tomorrow morning just to verify that don't have any left.
Looks like my option of the RA18's is looking pretty imminent.

I'd love to have some "meaty" tread tires for this Ozark red clay down here

You can go with the General Grabbers in 27*8.5r14. They fit and look pretty good on stock wheels. Here is my bus with them as of a few days ago. The cost of the tires ended up being $400 plus mounting and balancing.

I need tires for my Westy, how do these compare to the RA08's in 195? I see that the load rating is different, the Generals are a C and the Hankooks are a D load rating, is that a huge difference?

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Those tires are only available in 27*8.5r14 these days. They are a fair bit wider than the 195 width Hancooks. They are fine for me so far. The side wall isn't an issue and if I am not mistaken the owners manual says to go with C rated tires. D is a bit stiffer and in my opinion overkill. It all depends what you are after. If you want a generic stock replacement then the ra18 is most certainly a good stock replacement tire. I wanted a slightly beefier/aggressive tire to get me to camp sites and I wanted to minimize any issues with wet grass or mud. I am satisfied so far.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:
All I can think when seeing this bus the other day is that the owner is asking for trouble with those tires and rims. They can't be good for a bus, right?

Other than the flat left front, why would he be asking for trouble? They make the bus look a bit silly, but they likely won't hurt anything.

I admit to knowing little about low-profile tires, and to me, after all the tire recommendations and info in this thread, they jut don't seem like they could handle a bus. But you say they can? Interesting. Learn something everyday.

Here's the thing. A bus "requires" a tire with a high load rating. But, what it really requires is a tire with a stiff sidewall. For a stock diameter tire the only way to get that stiff sidewall is with a D, C, or LT rated tire.

If you run a larger wheel diameter and a low profile tire, or you have a lowered bus and want a low profile tire with a stock-ish wheel size, you are getting a stiffer tire sidewall by default. Low profile tires have stiffer sidewalls simply by nature of their design.

This is my theory, and mine alone. Your results may vary.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Love my AT2's

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Those AT2's look to off roadish for my taste.

I want good traction off the pavement too, but I prefer a style with less tread wrapping around the sidewall.

I want them for a 68 campmobile, so I'm going to running on the heavy side. Especially when we are in it full time.

So far I've only seen 2 tires being recommended, the Hankooks and the Grabbers. Apparently BFG and Michelin no longer make products suitable, so what are my other options?

My 1968 Campmobile
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Wrangler AT. Can't find the load rating for it though.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-Tire-LT195-75R14-6/43085816

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Wrangler AT. Can't find the load rating for it though.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-Tire-LT195-75R14-6/43085816

$232 each! Uff Da
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

http://www.tires-direct.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=...ountry=BUS

I got 4 of these. all season. shipped to me Oregon

"Tune in, Turn On, Dropout", Idiots school of VW Philosophy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

iratehippie wrote:

Note that those are Passenger car tires?

Tcash
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
iratehippie wrote:

Tcash

http://www.doublekinggroup.com/article/201110/67.html

what is "SINGLE EMBRYO MAXIMAL" Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

bad chinese translation of single tire vs double tire?

My 1968 Campmobile
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Cancelled

Last edited by Hiramhaus on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

A comparison of the Hankook 185 size with the 195 size:

I can't tell a difference.

Maybe the ride is a little softer, or they're just not as sensitive to inflation pressures with the thicker sidewall.

The extra half a cm of diameter will give me about 20 less rotations per mile, or about 300,000 fewer rotations on my cross-country drive this year. My wheel bearings thank me, but my wallet does not. I'll see if there is any fuel economy to be gained here.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skeesby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice on this thread. Went with the Hankook 195s from ebay seller Fast lane Tires. Arrived quickly and will get them on today.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:

Here's the thing. A bus "requires" a tire with a high load rating. But, what it really requires is a tire with a stiff sidewall. For a stock diameter tire the only way to get that stiff sidewall is with a D, C, or LT rated tire.

If you run a larger wheel diameter and a low profile tire, or you have a lowered bus and want a low profile tire with a stock-ish wheel size, you are getting a stiffer tire sidewall by default. Low profile tires have stiffer sidewalls simply by nature of their design.

This is my theory, and mine alone. Your results may vary.

You are correct. The lower the sidewall, the higher the pressure the tire requires. High pressure means a very stiff tire. Large SUVs can be had from the factory with quite low profile tires and they don't have a problem. The bad part about very low profile tires is they absolutely destroy your suspension system in short order since the stock sidewall absorbs a great deal of shock from the road.

The more concerning matter on those wheels are in fact the wheels. Cheapo ebay wheels might not be tough enough to handle a bus's load forces because most of them are meant for jettas, golfs, and mercedes, with which the bus shares the same bolt pattern.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
iratehippie wrote:

Tcash

HUH? 195x14 D/8PR LT or Van/Bus NOT passenger tires...

"Tune in, Turn On, Dropout", Idiots school of VW Philosophy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 163 of 198

Jump to: