Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 160, 161, 162 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

We should start a Kickstarter to convince them to release it into production Laughing

But really that's a bummer

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

It is what it is. I will be placing my order soon for the General Grabbers in 27/8.5r14 flavour. At least for those 4 shipped to me it is $400. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-LT27X8-50-14-GENERAL...5406705dfd

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgrdurham88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Found some RA08's on Amazon. Getting them mounted today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I installed the new grabbers on my bus in size 27x8.5r14 and... It rubs at full lock if there is an elevation change like entering and exiting my driveway. I'll have to poke my head down there to see what it rubs on but this kind of sucks. I have not ruled of the idea of some spacers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I have the same size BFG's on my 70 and they rub a little at full lock on the end of the trailing arm. Solution? Don't hold it hard at full lock. Problem solved.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
I installed the new grabbers on my bus in size 27x8.5r14 and... It rubs at full lock if there is an elevation change like entering and exiting my driveway. I'll have to poke my head down there to see what it rubs on but this kind of sucks. I have not ruled of the idea of some spacers.

Front or back?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
beatles4 wrote:

Front or back?

Ever seen a bay with four-wheel steering? Cool

If you have a mid-era bay with the adjustable stops on the steering relay arm, adjust the rub out before you go with spacers. During the transition from bias ply tires to radial, VW allowed the steering to be adjusted accordingly. (Bugs got these adjusters earlier than buses, but not every year has them.) You could source a relay lever that has the stops, weld your own stops on, or just hold it carefully short of full lock.

I do NOT recommend wheel spacers, since the load on your outer and inner wheel bearings is so so carefully calculated for their appropriate sizes and locations. A few mm here or there might not seem like a big deal, but with circa 2,000 pounds riding on a tire through a moderate corner, the engineering is subtle yet complex.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have the same size BFG's on my 70 and they rub a little at full lock on the end of the trailing arm. Solution? Don't hold it hard at full lock. Problem solved.

That is pretty much what I did this weekend when I drove down to the keys to go camping. Takes have a great accouting for themselves and it is worlds easier to turn the steering wheel at a stop and even better when I am moving ever so slightly. I had some non bus rated tires before that the previous owner put on.

My only issue seems to be that the bus felt kind of all over the road and I had to fight a little bit to go straight. I think it needs an alignment probably with no toe. I have yet to do an alignment.

To the comment about adjusting trailing arms, my bus is a 69 so almost the earliest bay they made. I recognize what you said about the spacers but if say I were to upgrade to disc brakes wouldn't that move the wheels out by about half and inch anyway? Wouldn't that have the same effect on bearings and the hub as a half inch spacer?

I was planning on doing front disc brakes eventually.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

^^^ definitely get a professional alignment if you don't feel confident in doing it yourself. Also, try systematically dropping the pressure by a couple of pounds at a time. An over inflated tire can cause a bus to feel "wander-y".
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I said a while back in this thread that I'd update when the new Hankook RA18's - the replacements for the venerable RA08 - are in. Well I was remiss, as they came in last week, but they're here. $99 for the 185's, $109 for 195's.

185R14: http://www.busdepot.com/RA18
195R14: http://www.busdepot.com/RA18

By the way, the German magazine ProMobil gave them a stellar review, giving them first place in a head-to-head test against Michelin, Continental, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

^^ nice and thank you Ron! Glad to know there is still a good option for these. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
tymbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about these tires. They seem to fit the build to use on the buses and they are only $58.00 a tire.

https://simpletire.com/eldorado-19514c-th0308-tire...AgYT8P8HAQ

Rust is time consuming
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

There is no "R" after the 195 so I will believe that they are not reinforced in the sidewalls and thus not suitable for a VW Bus.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
tymbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
There is no "R" after the 195 so I will believe that they are not reinforced in the sidewalls and thus not suitable for a VW Bus.

WW

So these would be good?

https://simpletire.com/cordovan-195-r14c-th0308-tires

Rust is time consuming
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Here is what a buddy of mine rides and I'm thinking about doing the same, around $750 locally to mount and balance.
BFG of course is a great tire, plus for a camping/off-road sense I believe they will be solid. Does anyone contest that these are not much more beneficial than the new Hankook RA18's?? I believe Bill's are 195/r14. It's a light duty truck tire with about 1800lbs load rating per wheel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

^^^ Excellent tire, and much more offroad worthy than the Hankook. But unless you can find them in stock somewhere, I am pretty sure they are NLA in 195/75R14.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

If you can find em buy em. As I posted a short while back they were confirmed to be discontinued. Otherwise most people switch to 15" wheels ( like I will be) or get the general grabbers.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

tymbo wrote:
wihr wrote:

WW

So these would be good?

https://simpletire.com/cordovan-195-r14c-th0308-tires

It looks right and at a great price. Perhaps one of the "experts" might chime in?

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Here is what a buddy of mine rides and I'm thinking about doing the same, around $750 locally to mount and balance.
BFG of course is a great tire, plus for a camping/off-road sense I believe they will be solid. Does anyone contest that these are not much more beneficial than the new Hankook RA18's?? I believe Bill's are 195/r14. It's a light duty truck tire with about 1800lbs load rating per wheel.

What the other people said. They are no longer made in that tire size. I called BFG headquarters and they initially gave me a part number saying that they would be made again but when I called back they said there was not enough demand and they were scrapping that tire in that size. I ended up with the general grabbers in 27*8.5r14 and I am mostly happy with them. They run slightly larger diameter (27) vs (26) but they should be fine. I currently have a slight rubbing issue but I suspect the previous owner mucked with my steering stops and probably why I have some rubbing. I will update you as to when I address that issue.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the 195's now, my buddy just bought his about 4 months ago brand new, mounted and balanced at $730 in Little Rock. I called guy at shop about two months later and he told me they were still available to get a few sets in if need be, so again I'm not sure.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 160, 161, 162 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 161 of 198

Jump to: