Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Ace.perkes97 wrote:
Will a P225/70R14 fit on my stock vw bus rim lowered 2"?

probably too fat.
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I'm looking at picking up a set of the discontinued GFB 195/75r14 locally but was wondering if anyone has mounted a 5th tire and placed it in the early bay factory spot in the rear? Does it fit alright with the slightly higher profile? I wonder if it'll still fit under my Vanagon plastic cover too.
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Considering that BFG looks to have ceased production of the AT K02 195/75/14, what is the new go too tire in that size for that purpose? I was liking the general grabbers but they don't have a tire in that size.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

^27x8.5 Grabbers
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I was looking at that size but it looks a bit bigger than the 195/75/14 tire size and it is also a lower load capacity. It is a load spec of 1500lbs and rated as a C.

Edit: I am interested though in the general at 205/75/15 tires and using them on split window wheels on my 69 bay window bus. Would that have detrimental effects on my car?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Acceleration will not be as great, but you'll drop rpms on the freeway by a little bit. So it might be a little rough if your stock sized motor, but not terrible.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
I was looking at that size but it looks a bit bigger than the 195/75/14 tire size and it is also a lower load capacity. It is a load spec of 1500lbs and rated as a C.

Edit: I am interested though in the general at 205/75/15 tires and using them on split window wheels on my 69 bay window bus. Would that have detrimental effects on my car?

Splittie wheels are only 4-1/2" wide. What might be nice would be to find some Mangels wheels, Brazilian 15x 5-1/2" chrome Porsche copies, I think. Used to be thick on the ground, but kinda scarce any more!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
beatles4 wrote:

Splittie wheels are only 4-1/2" wide. What might be nice would be to find some Mangels wheels, Brazilian 15x 5-1/2" chrome Porsche copies, I think. Used to be thick on the ground, but kinda scarce any more!
Al

I currently have those on my bus and they stick out too far in my opinion and I don't particularly care for the way they look. I would rather go with a nice set of stock wheels. I thought that the split rims might be a bit too narrow but wasn't the stock tire size for split window buses somewhere near 205/75/15? At least page 1 of the split window 14,15,16 tire thread says something similar to that. I am just concerned that that might be too tall for the bay window bus.

beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Acceleration will not be as great, but you'll drop rpms on the freeway by a little bit. So it might be a little rough if your stock sized motor, but not terrible.

I just saw your post. What concerns me though on the freeway is that if the rpms drop for a given speed would by bus be more likely to overheat now that the fan is spinning slower or is the difference marginal at best? For reference I am running the original motor as it came from 1969 complete with the non dog house fan shroud / oil cooler.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

On freeway runs, you'd hardly notice it at all. Around town will just be a bit more strain on the motor, but I would highly doubt it would be enough to concern you.

The 27x8.5s would be a good choice, they're rated enough for a heavy bus and you can retain stock wheels.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
On freeway runs, you'd hardly notice it at all. Around town will just be a bit more strain on the motor, but I would highly doubt it would be enough to concern you.

The 27x8.5s would be a good choice, they're rated enough for a heavy bus and you can retain stock wheels.

Either way I need to get new wheels. I am currently running aftermarket wheels that I am not terribly fond of so either way I need wheels.

My concern is that the 27x8.5x14 grabbers are only rated to1521lbs. I thought we needed somewhere close to 1700lbs per tire for westy's.

Adding further to the confusion, how is the 27x8.5x14 rated as a C load but 1521 capacity but the 205/75/15 is rated as an SL with a capacity of 1609? It would seem that the tire with a larger load capacity is rated better right? But why isn't it?

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:

I thought that the split rims might be a bit too narrow but wasn't the stock tire size for split window buses somewhere near 205/75/15? At least page 1 of the split window 14,15,16 tire thread says something similar to that. I am just concerned that that might be too tall for the bay window bus.

Stock on buses for 15 inch was 6.40x 15. 6.40 (25.4mm/in)= 163mm or so. 165r-15 might be close, but would certainly not be as big or highly rated as the stock 7.00-14 used on buses 64-70.
I have one of those, I'll check the load rating. Hell, the correct Hankook 185r-14C or similar are great tires and fit perfectly. Nokian makes winter tires in that size, too.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I know the hankook tires are suppose to be great but I was looking for an all terrain tire for my camper westy.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
I know the hankook tires are suppose to be great but I was looking for an all terrain tire for my camper westy.

I have the BFG 27x8.5r14's on my heavy 70 frankencamper. They work perfectly.I would not hesitate to run the same size General grabber on that bus when these wear out.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

1500 a tire, so 4x1500=6000lbs of capacity. If you weigh a bus with 4 scales on each side you would see that they aren't all even, pretty cool actually.

Different tires are made out of different compounds and have different sidewall strengths. I believe that's where they get the load rating.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: BFGoodrich BFG Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with BFGoodrich. They are re releasing the BFG All Terrain KO in size 195/75r14 on April 30th. I will wait a few more weeks and order then.

Sorry to waste the time of you guys here but at least I was able to get some good information. BFG said that the part number for this new tire is going to be 02339 and it is still a 99 side wall D rated tire.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
I just got off the phone with BFGoodrich. They are re releasing the BFG All Terrain KO in size 195/75r14 on April 30th. I will wait a few more weeks and order then.

Sorry to waste the time of you guys here but at least I was able to get some good information. BFG said that the part number for this new tire is going to be 02339 and it is still a 99 side wall D rated tire.

That is really good info. Thanks for following up and posting it here.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:

My concern is that the 27x8.5x14 grabbers are only rated to1521lbs. I thought we needed somewhere close to 1700lbs per tire for westy's.

Gross Rear Axle Weight with any bay bus is 2866.
1521 tires are FINE if you keep the things inflated and avoid traumatizing the plies by bashing into rocks and curbs and whatnot.
Colin
moxnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Roadclaw R260 195R14 Load D whitewalls on a 70 Westy

Somewhat tall, but otherwise a nice fit
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Bad News. I just called BFG again to figure out what happened and the part number that they gave me is now not in their system as being a tire that will make it to production. There are currently no plans on re releasing the BFG AT 195/75/14 tire.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 160 of 198

Jump to: