Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: VW Shalako resurection Reply with quote

I purchased a Shalako and am in the process of redoing it for using in Arizona in January.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowing down a little because I am waiting for parts. I have a Neal turning brake assembly I want to add but the only space is where the stock emergency brake is..I have to figure that issue out. I also have ordered a tranny solid mount kit that my engine requires . I am thinking of mounting the turn brake on the left side within the space between the inner and outer shell.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I added a side pod on the driver side and mounted my turn brakes there .I am now thinking of doing a side pod on the passenger side too.

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I made a lockable storage compartment on the passenger side pod. I also fired up the motor which sounded great.

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

More..
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I finally got her out for a quick test run! The steering is very stiff and it does not want to shift into 1st . I am hoping I don't need to pull the tranny out to get to the coupler. It seemed fine when I put in the tranny. I will check the front bushing in the morning.
Inserted thru the wiring and fixed several problems + added another fuse box for some add-ons. I ended up replacing the ball joints as they were bad so that might have an effect on the steering.
While I had the side pod cover off I took the "fish eye" Blue paint off down to the silver metalflake and will do the other side also. I like the color contrast. I won't be able to paint it until warm weather comes.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I pulled the shift tube and found NO nylon bushing at all. The coupler is new so waiting for parts again. There is no place within 100 miles that has VW parts like there used to be but there is Amazon and a wait.... Rolling Eyes
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

biobug wrote:
I pulled the shift tube and found NO nylon bushing at all.

Earlier bugs didn't have nylon bushings and had no way to install them.

Do you have the earlier stytle hanger or the later style?

I've removed and replaced earlier style(upper) hangers with new later ones(lower). However it takes some cutting and welding

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

It does have the new style that needs the bushing luckily.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

biobug wrote:
It does have the new style that needs the bushing luckily.

Good news.

The other thing you should definitely do if you have the shift rod out already is install an adjuster. It make adjusting your shifter, in length and laterally, easy and precise. There are two different types of adjuster for the two different types of coupling.

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Pretty much got the wiring straightened out. Some real weird connections like a direct hot wire from the + battery terminal to the flasher ground??
Anyway, I am taking it to DMV tomorrow to license and title it (hopefully..)
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

...and another one back on the road! YEEEE HAAAAAW!

http://www.stevemorrissilverstein.com/#!resume/c1627
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Well, I drove her to my Insurance agent after getting the title and plates and had no luck getting coverage. My friends assistant finally came up with some limited coverage at $493.00 for six months!. I drove home and called to reach the agent who is a friend and finally got thru to him . He worked on it and finally got it covered as an "Antique Auto" at $182.30 for 6 months. That I can live with so..all is well, except there is now a foot of snow on the ground with more coming. Rolling Eyes
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I had my wife take a couple of pics while I was under the dash. ( The extra wiring was actually from a school bus I scrapped.)
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

^ Ha! Know that position very well! Looking good - keep at it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I took the wife for a 16 mile ride before I loaded it in the trailer for the journey to Arizona and Puerto Penasco Mexico. still a little stiff steering and shifting but much better now. Tweaking will be done in the sunshine. Very Happy
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Now all I need to do is paint and make some gull-wing doors or possibly buy some?? I will get to it in April or May next year.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

2 months in Arizona and California are now history. The Shalako ran great! I expected to have a few issues due to lack of testing but other than a small body mount breaking on a 30 mile 4wd road in death valley she ran perfect!
The mileage was poor but I guess a 1915 stroker wasn't built for economy.I will get on the painting and top fabrication Inna couple of months. We put on over 800 miles on side roads and a 190 mile trip to Yuma. It ran at 2600 RPM at 70 mph . The Ball joints have loosened up a lot and with a little tinkering the new shifter worked well. I must say having plumbed in heat was a good idea as most mornings were in the 40's.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

After our trip and 3months after I licensed it I received a letter from our DMV stating their request for me to send the plates back to them because the lady that filled out the title info stated it was a "Dune". There is no such listing on their computer so no plate should have been issued. ?! After going to the local DMV twice and trying to rectify the issue I sent the plates along with info on the Shalako including a 1969 magazine showing one on the street and in big print stating they were street legal in all states. That was 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting for a decision. I originally told the lady it was an assembled kit car based on a VW chassis. She said she needed receipts for the frame and all the parts including the body. I have done 3 separate kit cars but never one originally built and titled 40 years ago. I guess we will see...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: