Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am the former owner of www.shalako-registry.com. The site is no longer up due to issues with the web hosting service. so instead of trying to go through the hassle of setting up another website, i decided that i would rather start a thread about the Shalako/ Shala, with that said...

The Original Shalako was produced by Dick Dean. the Shalako was produced out of Aluminum with a custom tube frame. It was originally equipped with a Porsche engine but was changed to a corvair engine. the original Shalakos where abouts are unknown (if it even still exists today)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

based on what little we (my small contingent of Shala enthusiests) have discovered there were multiple models of the Shala, of course the metal Shalako was first, followed by the Shala (VW Based) and Shala (corvair based w/ different rear cover). next was the long nosed Shala. last was the shalavette. there are 6.5 known VW based Shalas and 3 Shalavettes, i have never seen a Corvair based Shala or long nosed Shala.

I have just about every piece of literature concerning the various Shalas if you would like to see any of them shoot me a PM with your email and what your looking for and i will be happy to send you a scan. Also if anyone has any additional information or corrections (we are all human after all) please let me know and i will get the post editied.

I am Having issues getting the images from the online gallery they are in to the samba, so below is a link to the images
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core...=x6496b724

Here is a picture of my Shala

Scotts Shala

Samba member BDS's Shala

Shala out of detroit

Purple Shala

Green Shala (sorry about the blurry picture)

Half a gold Shala believed to be located in Australia

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"

Last edited by will-g on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WuZaBuG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will,
Thank you for starting this thread. As you know I have a Shala(ko). Im not sure who made it or what chassis it was made for.
When I got it it was on a Corvair chassis but the engine stuck out past the body. That would make me think it was made for a shortened VW chassis. but the Corvair chassis was shortened as well so it is hard for me to tell.
Can you tell me where an ID plate might be located?
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yours is the same as mine, it is a first run (Stub-nosed) VW based Shala. I have not found any kind of identification plate on any i have examined (all three of them....) there were a handfull produced in the mid 70s by another company, but most were done by Dick Dean, even if you had a generic one there would be no way to tell as there is no markings (that i have found yet at liest)

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viv1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Shala-vet information Reply with quote

Will,

Thanks for being the bearer of the torch. I just purchased the Shala-vet on E-bay, and I did not know what the car was or the rarity of it. I then started doing a little internet research, and found the history behind it. I actually spoke with Dick Dean last weekend and he confirmed the car as one of his. He stated that he had produced 12 bodies then sold the molds, Four more bodies were then produced and the company went out of business. I am interested in exchanging information on the Shala-vet if you have any. I have ordered the Feburary 1969 Rod & Custom issue on which a Shala car was featured.
Please feel free to call me at: (830) 313-2847

Thanks,

Viv
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv

Wow! that is awsome you were able to talk to Dick Dean about it and he confirmed it. i have only ever seen four (yours included) the other two running around is a white project and a complete red one and yellow one. how complete is yours? please shoot me a PM with you email and i will get some good Press Release photos sent to you. also would it be possible for you to contact Dick again and see how many shalas were produced? i wouldnt guess very many but it would be cool to get the actual number from the horses mouth......
Will

Samba Member Viv1's Shalavette (1 of 3 known)

Red Shalavette

White Shalavette

i am counting this becouse there is a good chance that it is a Shalavette although it looks a little different than the rest

WuZaBuG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cars are in Florida. Is that a Shalavette I see?

http://www.citrusguide.com/tropical2/
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a Shaalvette in the Florida link. The yellow one is a Bradley, the flat black one at the bottom is a Vokaro. That Maxi Taxi can be worth some decent $$ though, I'd look into that if you can Wink

Here's a "hungry dog" nose Shalako

WuZaBuG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have room for anymore buggies rignt now. If someone is interested, I can probobly get more info. That link was posted on the Manx Club site.
MickeyUSA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also in the Classifieds on this site. Under Barn Finds or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WuZaBuG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Cool. I didnt know that.
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick wrote:
I don't see a Shaalvette in the Florida link. The yellow one is a Bradley, the flat black one at the bottom is a Vokaro. That Maxi Taxi can be worth some decent $$ though, I'd look into that if you can Wink

Here's a "hungry dog" nose Shalako

That second picture looks very familiar, oh thats it ! i created that one for the registry, that article came out of 1972 playboy Wink

There are some very neat Kits on that page. Nick where did you come up with the "hungry dog" name from? can anyone confirm seeing this model in person, or real photos of it

Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the "hungry dog" from the same pict but on a magazine article:
247vws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Shalako info.... Reply with quote

Hey we would love to host or mirrior this info in the dune buggy archives files on the new site.
The official launch is April 1 2006.
It will have over 200 models ID'd and pages for each one.
A Dune Buggy Registry and much more.
John Shepard
1966 VW Beetle "Rose"
1974 VW Beetle "SunBug"

The best FORUM for dune buggy information worldwide is.... www.dunebuggyarchives.com
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/forum_show.pl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Genom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Frankenstein's car in Death Race 2000 based on a Shala Vette? I'm pretty sure that is what it was, based on how many times I've watched that movie. Obviously, if I were to obtain a Shala Vette, I'd build it as Frankenstein's car. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viv1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Shala-vet in Deathrace 2000 Reply with quote

The car in Deathrace 2000 is indeed a Shala-vet. Dick Dean called it "Gator's car". The picture of the red and gold Shala-vet on the trailer that Will posted looks like the one that Dick Dean e-mailed me. The picture shows the fabrication of Gator's car

P.S. Will, did you get my last e-mail?
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv.
i think i did and responded but the internet service is bad from over here. if you get a chance to call Dick Dean again, could you please confirm the number of Shalas produced? i think it will be less than 20 but i want to here it from the horses mouth, thanks

Genom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing that 12 Shala vettes were built.

Can someone who owns one make a mold of it and make me a copy? I won't feel so guilty turning a copy into a Death Race 2000 "Gator's car" replica.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viv1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Shala-vet / Gator's car pics Reply with quote

I posted a couple of pictures of Gator's car on kit car gallery page. I couldn't get the pictures to load directly to the forum. I have a couple of articles on the Shalako and Dick Dean if anybody is interested.

Thanks,

Viv
bds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Florida car pictures Reply with quote

Since someone mentioned the maxi taxi does anyone know what the car is below the maxi taxi that looks similar to the maxi taxi, but does not have opening doors and has a rounded dash/windshield base? I have a body like this that needs a new home if anyone interested.Its rough but repairable.Thanks Brad
TMB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: My Shalako Reply with quote

My Shalako body kit is an unbuilt one of the style that has the doors being the windows and top, like most on the thread. The body tub is one piece and the sides curl under to bolt to the frame. I do not have any pictures yet, the body is in storage. I am collecting parts to put it together but have no timetable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: