Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super project updated pics
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Finally got the 73 back on the floor. Using QA1 coil overs to get the front lowered exactly where I wanted it. The small diameter of the springs allowed me to get the wheels tucked inside the fender like I've dreamed of. The Weld Draglites were my favorite wheels for the car, but they hung outside the front fenders by at least 1/2". Not a big fan on the front wheels sticking outside. The rear doesn't bother me hanging out a bit. Next on the list is putting Fuchs on the rear and changing the running boards to coordinate with the wheels.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Installed new running boards to go with the new wheels. Now it's time to get the rear wheels installed.

candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Rear wheels mounted. Front are tucked inside the factory super beetle fenders with a proper rake. Rear are nice and beefy siting under the rear of the car. The rear tire to fender gap should close a bit after the rear seat and stereo system are installed. In the background is the pan to my 15 year old son's 1960 ragtop.

candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

It's been too long synced I've posted any updates........mostly do to health reasons. Here are a few update so far. Made a custom mount for my old school Audiocontrol DDC controller. I fiber glassed it into the fuse cover for a seamless look. Also prepping and slowly installing my carpet kit. I included a few shots of my front wheels tucking ever so slightly on my 73 Super.

[/img]
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

It's been too long synced I've posted any updates........mostly do to health reasons. Here are a few update so far. Made a custom mount for my old school Audiocontrol DDC controller. I fiber glassed it into the fuse cover for a seamless look. Also prepping and slowly installing my carpet kit. I included a few shots of my front wheels tucking ever so slightly on my 73 Super.

[/img]
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Are you installing the carpet over bare metal?
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

No, that kick panel had a bunch of goo on it. Just using a flap wheel to get everything off that might present a problem. Self etching primer is next in line. Floor pans are covered in POR 15 and Stinger Roadkill Pro sound dampening.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

This car is so bad ass. I love when I stumble on pics of it. I think those Fuchs really did the trick by the way. And of course you know your flames are just perfect.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

You know, as long as I'm bugging your thread with my nonsense, can I ask you a question? When you shave your front hood handle, do you just use the glove box lever to pop it open when you need to open it? My flat screen Super looks like the little poker with the spring would be enough to hold the hood down. Do you weld it on from underneath? I haven't found anything on shaving the handle and you really know what you're doing. Sorry to bother you with my POS project and would be grateful for a picture or two of how it looks under there. Anyway, the Welds were definitely the right combo for this color if it was a Camaro but I do really think the Fuchs were the right move for the German car. Anyway thank you for sharing your artwork on wheels. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
You know, as long as I'm bugging your thread with my nonsense, can I ask you a question? When you shave your front hood handle, do you just use the glove box lever to pop it open when you need to open it? My flat screen Super looks like the little poker with the spring would be enough to hold the hood down. Do you weld it on from underneath? I haven't found anything on shaving the handle and you really know what you're doing. Sorry to bother you with my POS project and would be grateful for a picture or two of how it looks under there. Anyway, the Welds were definitely the right combo for this color if it was a Camaro but I do really think the Fuchs were the right move for the German car. Anyway thank you for sharing your artwork on wheels. Smile

No problem. I'm using a shaved door handle kit witch has a trunk release button as well. I have a solenoid that pops it open as well as a back up pull cable under the front passenger fender. And yes, we welded that little "poker" under the hood. I'll see if I can get some good photos of my set up and post then here in hopes it will help you out.

Eric
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

OK, That didn't take very long to snap some photos. Here is a pic of the "pokey" welded under the hood. There's a photo of the solenoid I'm using. The cable from the solenoid goes into a coupler to convert in into a sheathed cable. From there it goes to a three way splitter that runs one cable up, then through to the inside of the passenger fender for a back up pull. Then runs two cable for the release.......one representing the back up pull and the other for the solenoid. I hope that makes sense and helps out.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Very clear explanation and fantastic photos. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge! Killer bug. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

No problem. And thanks for the complement. By the way, I agree on the Fuchs.
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

I really like your build, and your Dad should be commended on the body work and paint. In one of your first pictures, do I see a solenoid on the door? I did a trunk release years ago on a build of mine and I as well had a hidden manual emergency release. Beautiful Work on the car!
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Yes, there are solenoids for the doors for the shaved handles. Thanks for the props. My father has actually had two paint jobs unveiled at SEMA.....one for Ford Motor company. The other was at SEMA 2011: Lindsey Bradley’s 1965 Mustang Fastback called "The Silver Fox". He was actually flown to Vegas for the Ford unveil. Very cool for a guy who taught himself as a teenager. Very Happy
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Been a while since I’ve posted updated pics.

GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Love this build, looks great! It is a real work of art. Enjoy the ride!
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Thanks Brutha!! It’s been a lengthy project do to health reasons. Maybe one day, before I croke, I’ll finish. 🙄 That was originally a $500 purchase in 1991. It looked horrible, but I daily drove it while saving to get my first car with air conditioning. Very Happy Funny thing is, the bug actually had everything for air conditioning except the compressor.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super project updated pics Reply with quote

Still in love with this bug. Thanks for the update pics.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: